Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

epotas

Re: Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

I had the opportunity to go on a testing trip through my employer with DC for the new HD Ram. It was a High Ambient trip which included verifying the advertised towing/hauling capacity. We had one Cummins truck set up in the range of 23,000 pounds GCW. I was riding passenger in this one as we headed out of Laughlin, NV up a steep grade towards Vegas. The Ford boys were also out there with their new Powerjoke F-250. I don't know what their weight or tranny was but the trailer looked tiny compared to ours. About 2 miles up the grade we were pulling up to their bumper. The road then kicked up and their was a passing lane. The Cummins engineer I that was driving with pulls into the passing lane and is still gaining ground on the Ford. As we pull alongside he eased the throttle and made it seem like we were struggling. Here is the funny part. We then downshifted from 6th (yes sixth!) into 5th and pulled away nicely. We had a group of 7 trucks with us on that trip and everyone had a good laugh on the radios. Nothing like 555 FtLbs of torque. Those engines are incredible. I have driven many of them and am very impressed with the HO and 6 spd combo.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Re: Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

Originally posted by PackRat:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by WVWSP61:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by PackRat:

Plus, despite the fuel injection problems, most PS owners love their trucks so why change? Ford could easily have designed a smaller diesel engine for it's pickup from one of it's HD designs.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Evidently you missed this?

PickupTruck.com - First Drive: 2003 Ford Super Duty.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2003/ford/superduty/first_drive/page2.html

Smaller than the old 7.3L Powerstroke, the "new" downsized V8 is now only 6.0 liters, with talk of a V6 with 4.5 liters for the F-150.

Time will tell.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope, I didn't miss that.

Since it's still a Navistar built diesel called Powerstroke, what I said still holds water.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

SO IF YOU were supposedly already aware of the newer smaller engine design that is already being tested at least, then why did you say:
"Ford could easily have designed a smaller diesel engine for it's pickup from one of it's HD designs?"

They already did design a newer smaller engine that is supposed to be quite different than the older designed 7.3L, and I think it may even have four valves-per-cylinder heads.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Originally posted by WVWSP61:

SO IF YOU were supposedly already aware of the newer smaller engine design that is already being tested at least, then why did you say:
"Ford could easily have designed a smaller diesel engine for it's pickup from one of it's HD designs?"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Because Ford offered their own 6.6 and 7.8L inline 6 turbo diesel motors for it's medium duty F series commerical trucks (F-600, F-700). I think they were officially known as Ford New Holland engines.

[ December 10, 2002, 05:42: Message edited by: PackRat ]

samuel

Veteran Member

As far as I'm concerned, it hardly matters who makes the engine, 'cuz they have got to be better than Chrysler at materials and assembly quality. Now if only Chrysler would just sub out the entire vehicle to DD, VM, Cummins or MB they might have a decent product you could depend on . . .

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member

Samuel, take it easy there Kemosabe. My 2000 Ram has had the fewest build defects of any new car I've ever had, which includes Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc. And it's out of the St. Louis assembly plant.
Rodg

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer

I was reading an article in Motor Service magazine regarding the new Powersroke engine. It showed a picture of the tube bundle style EGR cooler, about twenty 3/8" diameter tubes through which the exhaust flows. Think it will clog?

[ December 10, 2002, 15:34: Message edited by: Bob the rocket scientist ]

samuel

Veteran Member

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
originally posted by Rodg Peterson:

My 2000 Ram has had the fewest build defects of any new car I've ever had
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just remember that build defects and durability are two very different things. So long as you trade it in every few years you're probably OK, but if you expect a long service life you may be disappointed. And, in my experience, Jeep-Eagle dealerships lost interest in any vehicle over about five years old, so even if you persevere with it you'll have to deal with them . . .

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS

My '01 Cummins Ram is about to flip 100K miles and the only repair has been front wheel bearings which DC reimbursed me for. Front pads replaced at 80K miles otherwise continues to pull like a tug-boat. This is an automatic which I expected to grenade, but so far is holding up fine. My '99 Ford ate trannys for lunch, traded it at 70K along with its third slushbox and quite a few other new parts. This is a Mexico built Ram and the fit/finish is great, very few rattles which is impressive considering this truck rarely ever is empty. 14,000# usually loosens things up a bit, but no complaints from me. I need something bigger and not sure if the new ram quad is big enough. May have to gamble and get a 6.0L PS with the crew cab. So is life, stuff happens.

Pawk

Veteran Member

I will add another plug for jeep.

My 1980 Jeep CJ7, 4.2L w/200k has been more reliable and has required less money and caused less headaches than my 2001 Jetta TDI with only 30k. If my jetta is running as smoothly in 20 years I will be VERY surprised.

Although my jeep was built before Mercedes or Chrysler got their mits on JEEP.

Beezle

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle, technoblue

"screaming detroit in a liberty....."

is DD still building 2-stroke motors?

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Originally posted by Beezle:
"screaming detroit in a liberty....."

is DD still building 2-stroke motors?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe so, but just for industrial and marine applications.

JMK

TDI
2003 Plat Grey Jetta GLS

Can't speak for the entire DC line, but I have very good experience with Jeep products. Many 4.0 models are still on the road well into the 300K and 500K range.

My '95 Cherokee had 176K in October when it was traded in. Other than a few nice suspension/tire/performance upgrades, I never had to spend a cent on items apart from scheduled fluid/brake/wiper changes.

Which transmission is being used with the 2.8 diesel? The 4-speed automatic? It was designed by Jeep for the 4.0 in '87, and used by Toyota for the new Lexus LS400 in 1990.

Still being used in brand new WJ-platform Grand Cherokees with 4.0 engines in 2003... that says something for its durability.

Regards,
JMK

Diesell

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Stonehenge

The last year of EPA approved Detroit Diesel 2-cycle product was 1999. They continue to manufacture the 53 series in Kansas for export and the military and select 92 series for the military both vehicle and marine spec.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW

Back in the 70s when my desire was to be a semi-driver, my first tractor was a GMC Brigadier with a 318 Detroit 2 stroke what a machine and if you missed a gear,.well let me say the best thing to do was to come to a complete stop and start again. The engine always needed oil but that was a small price to pay for such a fast revving engine.The newer over the road engines from Detroit Diesel have improved, but there are still electronic problems.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Originally posted by Bookworm:
Back in the 70s when my desire was to be a semi-driver, my first tractor was a GMC Brigadier with a 318 Detroit 2 stroke what a machine and if you missed a gear,.well let me say the best thing to do was to come to a complete stop and start again. The engine always needed oil but that was a small price to pay for such a fast revving engine.The newer over the road engines from Detroit Diesel have improved, but there are still electronic problems.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah another trucker!

I've had the opportunity to drive both Detroit Diesel 60 Series and Cummins N14 equipped trucks and I prefer the Cummins. The Detroit is a good motor, don't get me wrong, but, at least on the Series 60, the RPM's dropped rather slowly. This required a bit of a pause while shifting, unlike the Cummins, who's RPMS dropped rather quickly, making it easier to quicklyhift, which I preferred.

Those old 2 stroke Detroits had a wide power band, something like 1200-2100 rpm, which is why they worked rather well on motorcoaches with only 4 speed manual transmissions. Those 1950-60's GMC 41-series motorcoaches could reach 80 mph top speeds with stock gearing.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI

Originally posted by WVWSP61:

Nice post, Mr. Valdez.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What can I say, I learned a little bit about them big boy "TDI's".
Although the early 71 series DD motors didn't have turbo's......eh oh well.

[ December 16, 2002, 21:49: Message edited by: PackRat ]