Light bulb out Indicator Light ON !! ?

NFTDI

Just had my 06 Jetta TDI in for some minor body work (damn Tim Horton's drivethru). Since I got it back yesterday I have this light on! Its the yellow light that looks like a light bulb kinda with a circle around it.
Checked all exterior lights and all good......Any help much appreciated!
Thanx

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Depending on which MFD (MultiFunctionDisplay) you have when you first start the car it should tell you which bulb is not working. However the easiest way to check is have the car scanned with a Vag Com and the codes (light on the dash) cleared.

NFTDI

Thanx for the quick response!
well my car is the 2006.5 Jetta TDI special edition. Not sure on the particular display it would have but it does not show which light is out on start up, not that i've seen anyways.
No dealer close to me but would a regualar gargage or other import dealer have a VAG COM to use on it?

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
NFTDI said:
No dealer close to me but would a regualar gargage or other import dealer have a VAG COM to use on it?
Most likely, no. How about updating your profile to let us know where you live. There is bound to be a tdi club member nearby that has one. Or look at the stickies at the top of the TDI 101 forum for the list of VAG-COM owners.

NFTDI

I live in Central Newfoundland, Canada. Only 1 dealer in province in St. John's, over 350kms (200miles away)

sennister

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
I would just have someone sit in the car and go through all the lights while you walked around the car to see which is dead. It can't be that hard to tell but some of them like brake lights would be hard to test without someone else running them.

srptdi

TDI
2005.5 jetta black
I had the same problem and it turned out to a rear parking light that I didn,t notice

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Check the lights at dusk (using a helper in the drivers seat) and it will become quickly apparent which bulb is out.
Just stand outside the car and have the helper activate all the lights in turn.

Bill

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
Won't the license plate lights trigger the 'light out' warning as well? It would be easy to miss one of those.

NFTDI

All good thought guys, but i did try these all first before i tried the forum for help, no light out that i could see, including the 2 plate lights. This is not an indicator for something else that i should worry about is it?

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
Nope, it's just a light out... if you can't find it, I'd say your best bet is VAGCOM. Did you check the amber marker lights in the front, the 5w high beam markers (the dim light in the high beams, on when you have the lights switched 'on'), and also there are 2 bulbs in each tail light. What body work did you have done? If it involved the front bumper, I would bet on the amber markers.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Would it be possible the repair shop replaced a bulb with a different wattage which wouldn't draw as much current which would trigger the computer to indicate a bad bulb? So even though you'd see all lights working one might be slightly dimmer.

I'd check lights in the area of the recent work.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Lower wattage bulbs cause a bu;b is out warning but after some time the cluster shuts off power supply to the slot.

What about footwell lights? Are they both OK?

Have someone with VCDS do a scan for you.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Sometimes the indicator tells you the light is out if it about to fail...

I have had this happen 3 times, it tells you a light is out, but it is still working, yet within a week the bulb fails.

Does your MFD tell you which light it is when you start up? If not as suggested scan with VCDS if possible. Tail lights on newer models use multiple bulbs so it would be hard to diagnose unless you have a helper.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I was looking for the Vag Com list to see who may be near you who would be able to cam your car. Unfortunately it hasn't worked for a couple of days. There may be other ways to access the list other than from the home page and maybe someone can make a suggestion. I think that a scan could be useful.

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
I have an intermittent problem with mine, it's the passenger side brake light, seems that when they wired my car one of the wires got routed around the clip that holds the bulb assy. in and sometimes that kink causes a problem, but the light still works.

VWTDIdriver

TDI
'03 Golf TDI & '06 Jetta TDI
Reading that there were 2 bulbs in the rear taillights of an 06 Jetta was the key for me! I had walked around the vehicle dozens of times and had my son hit the brakes numerous times without any positive result...everything seemed to be working flawlessly! The owners manual was of no use at all and so I started searching online and in this forum for the answer...I found it!! They are now replaced and dash light is out...yeah!! Thanks for posting even the seemingly silly stuff...some of us need it even though we can find our way around cars...lol! Now for the check engine light for MAP sensor and glow plugs...grrr! Probably wont be so cheap!