AHU injector seal (smoke)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Just got her out of the garage, washed her down spotless including the engine bay. I took her out for a "hot lap" or two around the area and when i got back, the 3rd injector has a substantial amount of soot smoke on and around it and on the head and the lip of the valve cover. Last winter i had to re seal this injector as i was trying to prime it and i screws up the seal it had, it was leaking fuel, so i took it out, sanded down the washer flat off the high spots as i have done MANY times before, i never do it more than once for a set of crush washers. i have never seen this smoke issue, and its new, as it it never did this last year. it has sat under a cover all winter and spring since last fall. This is a NEW issue that was not happening when i was autocrossing it all last fall and summer. It got about 2000 miles on it since i had to re seal the injector. No fuel is coming out, only a decent amount of soot around the area.

I know what i have to do, get new washers, but im thinking, Maybe the head is cracked or something. its not coming from the glow plug i checked, its shooting strait up the injector pocket.

Any comments, suggestions, past experience with this issue?

As you know my build is nuts but i dont feel like listing it out right now. I only ported and polished the head with a mild port and mostly gasket matching, unlike some here with the CNC head port issue that was posted last week.

Last edited: