Online parts store or Dealer

metalgear88

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
Just picked up a gallon of Coolant from my local VW dealer for $24. Looked it up from couple online parts stores and would cost me about $31 ~ 33 buying online (with shipping).

I know most of our vendors are great resources for parts for our TDIs, they even have parts that dealers usually don't stock. They probably know more about the parts than the guy working at the dealer's part counter. but I am curious is there anything you guys would go to a dealer's parts dept for and not online parts store?

I know there is the factor of driving to the dealer vs it gets ship to my house. Not really an issue for me since I drive by two dealers on my way to work every day.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just depends on what it is, really. I would not put a genuine VW fuel filter or water pump on any of my Volkswagens, because I find them inferior to some of the aftermarket ones, for instance. Same for some of the accessory belts.

Most everything else, it would just be a matter of price, and that varies.

Last edited:

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I will go to the dealership for:
-coolant ($21 4L)
-oil filters (if not included in a larger online part order)
-transmission oil ($13/L)
-small bits and pieces (screws, seals, etc).

Some things just have too much shipping overhead to order in small quantities. Major repair parts are always purchased online.

Most of the time, the dealership parts clerk will give me the wholesale cash price, instead of the highway robbery price, if I ask for it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sure, I'll go dealer for any part. Sometimes you can beat them up a little on price, sometimes not. Consider getting a commercial account.
But I usually purchase from idparts, dieselgeek, metalman or world impex(on-line dealer)
The thing about the dealer is, they can sell a part for any price they want, usually they're high.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My CTS went without warning, so I went to the dealer to get the part quickly. After I installed the new sensor I had to go back for the G12 coolant to replenish what I had spilled. Pentosin CHF 11S power steering fluid I bought from a local NAPA, but my new alternator is in transit from one of our well known on-line vendors.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
I go by price save for certain things like oil filters and things of that nature. Some things like the coolant are almost a must to buy from a VW dealer if you live close to one. The vendors on here provide it because for some people, it isn't even practical to drive to the nearest VW dealer for coolant. Therefore, by the time it is shipped for $31 its cheaper for those folks.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
My localndealer wanted $28/liter for transission gear oil. I got some LubroMoly from a foreign autoparts store for $9/L (for my '02).

I used a gift card to buy a gallon of G12++ coolant. Filters and 507 oil I get from the vendors. Some of the online vendors offer free shipping if the order is above a certain amount.

What part of Mass are you in? Keep an eye on the East Coast section for GTGs that happen several times a year. Quite often a vendor will attend and deliver parts.

metalgear88

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
MayorDJQ, I am in Eastern Mass, near Burlington. Didn't know where Hatfield is until I google it just now. Will keep an eye out for the next GTG