TDIFest 2015

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There are some outstanding pictures of the 2013 Fest at Sunday River in the picture thread found here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394094

Some of my favorites are from the drive up the Mt. Washington Auto Road, which we intend to do again this year if the road is available. :cool:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The only recommendation I have this year if we go back up The Rockpile (what we peakbaggers call Mt Washington) is to let the people with standard transmissions lead. Someone ahead of me was in an automatic and I was shifting all the time despite keeping some distance back from them as a buffer.

It's pricey, but I might be up for a canopy tour.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't think any arrangement of vehicles is going to help a whole lot, as it kind of ends up in a traffic jam no matter what. I was first in line and following the stage van, who set the pace kind of low (but not too low), and people started backing up from there. There are plenty of pull-outs if the traffic gets irritating, and you can pick up the end of the line and set your own pace (for the most part).

The canopy tour sounds awesome! I'm sure there will be others who are interested... perhaps you can start a thread and get a separate event going, either sometime during the weekend or before/after the Fest activities.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The only recommendation I have this year if we go back up The Rockpile (what we peakbaggers call Mt Washington) is to let the people with standard transmissions lead. Someone ahead of me was in an automatic and I was shifting all the time despite keeping some distance back from them as a buffer.

It's pricey, but I might be up for a canopy tour.
Is there a weight limited? I didn't see any information on the subject.

Abacus thank you for volunteer for the job to back everyone out of there parking space.:DThe last time we were there it was foggy as hell.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I think I saw a 250 pound weight limit.

I'd be glad to be volunteered! I didn't think it was too bad last time, visibility was a good 10', which is better than some times I've been up there without a car and had to rely on the GPS tracklog to get below treeline.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I'd be up for a canopy tour. Also, if the weather cooperates, there is an awesome little swimming hole not far away, called Frenchman's Hole. And maybe a nice area drive that we didn't do last time due to the rain.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
It was our first time at a TDI Fest in 2013 , Kim and I had a great time,We met a lot of neat people, i am looking forward to comming back seeing all again, gonna mark my calender

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
We're gonna try to be there. CA to ME again is quite the trip. In between a potential wedding (NOT mine) and a WEC race in Texas, we may be able to justify the trip. Maybe.

Big maybe. stay tuned.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hey ...... everybody, be looking in your "good junk" TDI parts for items to donate for the auction, raffles, etc ........... I've been digging thru my stuff!

The M-O-O-N may Shine again!... :D

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Hey ...... everybody, be looking in your "good junk" TDI parts for items to donate for the auction, raffles, etc ........... I've been digging thru my stuff!

Kentucky shine? I had some at my brother's in Quality (near Bowling Green) and it was smooth sippin' shine, and I'm not a hard stuff guy.

Makes me wonder about donating some Maine lobsters or other local seafood. I don't have a lot of spare parts that are worth donating.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Kentucky shine? I had some at my brother's in Quality (near Bowling Green) and it was smooth sippin' shine, and I'm not a hard stuff guy.

Makes me wonder about donating some Maine lobsters or other local seafood. I don't have a lot of spare parts that are worth donating.

That would be cool. I guess you would have it shipped overnight to the winner.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD

Do it. You, me, TooRoundTDI, GTiTDi, and Pod too. On the deck. In thunderstorms.

One of the best memories from '13.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As in FB - Like..

Yep! That was a good time just hanging out and savoring the moment!

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Probably should comment! I am super excited this is happening. We have some great leadership here at the TDIClub and a lot of people willing to lend a hand and serve. Not sure if I will be able to make it yet due to the fact that I have about 9 weddings to attend this year, but I am confident it will go off without a hitch. VeeDub...you have my number and I would love to help in any way possible.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I have full intention of going this year. I have owned my TDI now for 9 months and so, and have been on the forum the whole time. Can't wait to make the 900 mile trip from Northwest Ohio.

mrbrefast

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4V, the MFALCON - SOLD
Having done the initial research for which car I wanted to get as my first; and then learning a LOT from the accumulated wisdom of members here... I am very excited to drive my way over to Maine for September.

Abacus, this is not QUITE the "meet up in Maine" plans we tried to have for this year... but I think it is a worthy alternative, no?

Is there any decent and nearby camping... or is the hotel as nice and worth it as the pictures earlier in this thread make it seem?

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I am retired and am certainly not afraid of a long drive, but I was wondering if the fest is ever held out west. It seems that most of the members here are east of the Mississippi, but you guys might like the long drive also. We do have the Grand Canyon and Sedona around here...Mark

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The hotel and surrounding grounds are really nice, as well, rooms booked under the TDIFest banner help with the costs of the function space :cool:

Once booking is open, I'll be looking at the Thursday to Tuesday on that weekend :D

Having done the initial research for which car I wanted to get as my first; and then learning a LOT from the accumulated wisdom of members here... I am very excited to drive my way over to Maine for September.

Abacus, this is not QUITE the "meet up in Maine" plans we tried to have for this year... but I think it is a worthy alternative, no?

Is there any decent and nearby camping... or is the hotel as nice and worth it as the pictures earlier in this thread make it seem?
MrVermin

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I am retired and am certainly not afraid of a long drive, but I was wondering if the fest is ever held out west. It seems that most of the members here are east of the Mississippi, but you guys might like the long drive also. We do have the Grand Canyon and Sedona around here...Mark
It has, the last time was 2010 in Portland OR. The location is very dependant on the group of members who organize themselves to host the fest.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
TDIClub would love to go West, and we have before. All it takes is member commitment to pull one off.

I would love to come out West, Midwest, Western Canada!

xbiker423

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL
I'd be up for a canopy tour. Also, if the weather cooperates, there is an awesome little swimming hole not far away, called Frenchman's Hole. And maybe a nice area drive that we didn't do last time due to the rain.
Yeah! I spent many summers working for Hurricane Island Outward Bound and we would jump/swim there all the time. We would always joke about the people who stopped to take pictures at the covered bridge posted earlier in this thread.

Thomas83

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 TDI Golf 5-spd
Subscribed...let's see who's up to driving with me, or I joining a caravan with others from Southern California? Could be quite an adventure.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I would love to come to this year's Fest. Not sure, as I am currently looking for work. I had two interviews the past couple of weeks that went really well; one near Boston and another near Chicago. If I land in MA, then I would try to be there with my buddy n8ronJ. If in IL, that would be difficult. If no job soon, then no chance.
Update: My TDI, wife, and I will be moving to Lake County, Illinois within a month, as I got a new job there. Unemployed only two months. Phew!! Not much vacation time for 2015, so I won't be making it to TDIFest in Maine.

Last edited: