2015 TDIFest RFP Announcement?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My 2015 Labor Day weekend is getting close to being scheduled for something else...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I just looked at my schedule and have labor Day next year off!

Of course, we're taking two weeks vacation in winter for the Florida Keys and two weeks in Italy in the fall, which leaves just over one week remaining, so it's I guess it's possible, just tight.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Still working on some backgrounds stuff for 2015 and I'll get a RFP out shortly. That said there is no reason for groups not to get the ideas flowing. :)

Last edited:
TDI
Current 2015 Golf Sportwagen, former 1996 Passat TDI, former and sadly sold back to VW:2014 TDI Passat 6 speed
Larz Anderson Auto Museum might be a good place. It's in Brookline, Mass.
For over 50 years, the Museum has hosted Summer Lawn car shows. I'm a member and willing to help research.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Larz Anderson Auto Museum might be a good place. It's in Brookline, Mass.
For over 50 years, the Museum has hosted Summer Lawn car shows. I'm a member and willing to help research.

Wow, if we did Larz I would have to help out since I'm a member too. And I could actually bring my kid too. Its odd how my 2+ year old doesn't enjoy sitting in the car all day on long trips.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Well 15 years and my FIRST Memorial day weekend with out a Fest. The same for T-red. I guess a nap is in order perhaps a beer and shed a tear or too for all the miles and memories.

Sure miss seeing and chatting with great TDIers.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have a bad feeling about this whole situation.......my boss (daughter) says good since you aren't leaving you can work all weekend cleaning the Gym......really Sad :(

By the way PeterV you are losing it! It is Labor Day Weekend.......

Last edited:

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Tom, it's actually Labour Day :)

For me it is weird as well. Wednesday before Labour Day and I'm not worrying that some detail has been missed or tackling the remaining todo list. A few more things to deal with and people to talk to but we are close to an RFP posting with a slightly modified procedure.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Interesting that Canada has a day to honor a political party of the Mother Country. :D

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, reminiscing........... Sunday River! We had a great time there! Then we finished with the Maine coast and on to New Brunswick and just a touch of Nova Scotia!

If we can swing it, there will be a re-visit to the Maine coast this fall!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Love Sunday River and Ypsi my favorites! Really depressed I am not traveling this weekend
at work with my Moose from the Auction last year.....

Last edited:

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
Canadian National Holidays, Origin and use.

Interesting that Canada has a day to honor a political party of the Mother Country. :D

Ok, well, depending on where you are located, "Mother Country", may mean different things.

In the Lower (vs a vis the Perspective from the Ocean, up the St. Laurence River) region of the former "Lower Canada" portions of "kay-beck", the "Mother Country" would be from the explorers that sailed from France in 1534.

Britain and France w/Spain signed a treaty in 1763 that ceded the former colonies in the Americas to England.

So began the expansion from the "Mother Country" of "England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland to the region that was called "Upper Canada", and were offered parcels of land for just "working" the land, and selling the crops, forests, beaver pelts, etc., in trade.

Because of the spelling of the cumulative amount of effort involved in these activities, that sum is called "Labour" collectively (instead of Labor(US).

from the segment in Wikipedia [1]

Labour Day (French: Fête du Travail) has been celebrated on the first Monday in September in Canada since the 1880s. The origins of Labour Day in Canada can be traced back to December 1872 when a parade was staged in support of the Toronto Typographical Union's strike for a 58-hour work-week.[5] The Toronto Trades Assembly (TTA) called its 27 unions to demonstrate in support of the Typographical Union who had been on strike since March 25.[5] George Brown, Canadian politician and editor of the Toronto Globe hit back at his striking employees, pressing police to charge the Typographical Union with "conspiracy."[5] Although the laws criminalising union activity were outdated and had already been abolished in Great Britain, they were still on the books in Canada and police arrested 24 leaders of the Typographical Union. Labour leaders decided to call another similar demonstration on September 3 to protest the arrests. Seven unions marched in Ottawa, prompting a promise by Canadian Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald to repeal the "barbarous" anti-union laws.[5] Parliament passed the Trade Union Act on June 14 the following year, and soon all unions were seeking a 54-hour work-week.
So, as you can see, it has very little to do with the "Labour Party(UK)" other than its formation was as a result of the effects of actions by the Owners of Wealth in the land trying to impose "His/Her Majesties' wil" over the people who actually cut the logs, and built the homes and machines that we use today[IMHO]:).

From Wikipedia again:

Labour Day is an annual holiday to celebrate the achievements of workers.

Title: [SIZE=+1]Labour Day parade, Yonge Street north of Shuter Street
[/SIZE] Date: after 1900,
Archive: City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1568; Alexander W. Galbraith fonds
~Terirrific

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Day#Canada

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Day ; retrieved 2014-09-07

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Ah, Richard, do you know what this :D means, or were you just being pedantic? ;)

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, Richard, do you know what this [Big grin] means, or were you just being pedantic?
Yes, I do understand when someone writes 'In Jest'.

Now, do you know what this means? :p:D

PS. Canada was having "Labour Day" Parades since 1872, 10 years before the parade held in New York City, Sept 5, 1882.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Yeah, because it took 10 years to parade the length of Yonge St.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Denver

TDIFest in Denver 2015. Do I have to say why? It's the mile high city right? We can get THC Direct Injection.

Lug_Nut

TDI
It's not direct injection because it's mixed in the intake air.
And it's "saug", using suction, unless you have a friend to act as a blower.

be sure to reciprocate.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
TDIFest in Denver 2015. Do I have to say why? It's the mile high city right? We can get THC Direct Injection.
I'm exploring some options in Denver for 2016 - too soon for me to really do anything with Denver for 2015 unless a bunch of locals step up with a solid proposal really quickly.

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, because it took 10 years to parade the length of Yonge St.
Ha Ha... Funny.:)

But you are partly correct.

Prior to 1999 "Yonge Street" ran for 1896 km all the way to Rainy River in Ontario.

From one Municipal Jurisdiction to the next it has changed from 4 lanes to a divided highway, and then back again, but still retained the name of "Yonge Street", and continued the numbering from South to North.

In 1999 the Provincial Gov't of the day got the brainy idea to "sell' the non-critical to State Commerce Secondary class roads back to their 'lower tier' Government. [1]

This then severed the continuous road into different segments. It lost the designation "Canada's Longest Road". [See Picture]

1896 km = 1053 Miles !

"The Terry Fox Marathon of Hope" started in July, 1980. Terry Fox was a Canadian Marathon Runner who had to have an amputation of one leg due to cancer. Following his initial convalescence and recovery, he began running agian. The "Marathon of Hope" had him travelling by foot 5,373 kilometres (3,339 mi) in 143 days. His marathion across Canada was cut short by him developing Cancer in his lungs. [2]

His average road distance was 37.5 km per day.

To travel "Yonge Street" , could take ~90 days for a marahton runner!:)
(slightly longer if it's a marching parade).

[1] https://www.carinsurance.ca/blog/2013-03-25/yonge-st-no-more-longest-street-world

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
I'm exploring some options in Denver for 2016 - too soon for me to really do anything with Denver for 2015 unless a bunch of locals step up with a solid proposal really quickly.
Contact the ski lodges. It's between season but they are ramping up. We could take over Aspen.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That would be awesome. Like the Maine Fest all over again. :cool:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Whenever I have been in Colorado, I have always thought that my cars would look good there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lug_Nut

TDI
Is that why I feel more attractive when surrounded by even uglier people?