Support Group Needed

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
My name is Tim, and I'm an oil changeaholic.

I am trying to reform my ways, but I don't think I can make it by myself. I need help.

I am 200 miles away from making it to 5000 miles for the very first time (in 36,000 miles!). The temptation to pump up the Oil Boy is killing me. I just imagine those soot particles circulating through my precious engine and I want to scream!

I did run my bypass to 16,000 once - and the full flow to 9000. But I probably drained and re-filled the crankcase three times in the same period.

I need help, badly. This is the cry of a sick man. While I am saving hundreds of gallons of fuel by averaging in the upper 50's mpg, I am throwing away Amsoil's finest PAO by the bucket.

Please help me. Before I become totally reprobate and no longer want to reform

Tim

RSTX

Veteran Member
Change the oil??? My salesman told me this car is maintenance free. He said I would never have to change the spark plugs. Where can I get more information of this "oil change" procedure? It sounds like a plan by the big oil companies to get more of my money. I'll just leave mine alone, thank you very much.

Oh, my salesman also said that only a VW technician can open the hood on these cars. He said I should not attempt to do so or my warranty will be voided before the 10,000 mile/one year mark.

He did recommend that I bring the car in every month or so to have the air changed in the tires due to the extreme heat we have here in Texas. See, cooler air is heavier and could make the tires out of balance. Changing to warm summer air also increases fuel efficiency. I feel like this is a good thing and they are offering to do this service for only $25/tire since I purchased the car from them. Pretty shrewd of me, eh?

TDItech

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI GLS Galactic Blue, 2000 Eurovan with ALH fromthe 02 Jetta
RSTX, your salesman is high. there isn't any car sold that is "maintenance free". The oil change recomendation for your PD is 5K, 10K, and every 10K afterward. Also, oil changes and regular maintenance can be done by you as long as you keep records for the kind of oil and when, for warranty purposes.

RSTX

Veteran Member
Um, sorry, I should have put in a few smilies to show humor. I was just going along with the general light-hearted tone set by the original poster.

To be serious, I'm seriously considering getting one of the oil extractors that I've read about here. I've only got 1500 miles on the car right now, but 5k is coming up fast.

Again, sorry for the confusion. An apparently poor attempt at levity.

Benlinus

Veteran Member
Change the oil??? My salesman told me this car is maintenance free. He said I would never have to change the spark plugs. Where can I get more information of this "oil change" procedure? It sounds like a plan by the big oil companies to get more of my money. I'll just leave mine alone, thank you very much.

Oh, my salesman also said that only a VW technician can open the hood on these cars. He said I should not attempt to do so or my warranty will be voided before the 10,000 mile/one year mark.

He did recommend that I bring the car in every month or so to have the air changed in the tires due to the extreme heat we have here in Texas. See, cooler air is heavier and could make the tires out of balance. Changing to warm summer air also increases fuel efficiency. I feel like this is a good thing and they are offering to do this service for only $25/tire since I purchased the car from them. Pretty shrewd of me, eh?
This is good stuff. I giggled.

As far as the oil extractor thing? I've had one and used it for the first 50K of ownership of my used Jetta. Last week I did the change from the bottom, and I gotta say, I'm much more comfortable with that. I feel like everything isn't being sucked out of there with the extractor.

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
As far as the oil extractor thing? .... I feel like everything isn't being sucked out of there with the extractor.
Au contraire, it is the other way around. See the picture on page 2 of this thread.

T

(our 3rd poster here must not have had his morning coffee kick in yet - d'oh!

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
You could always put the old oil in the garden tractor!!
I should have mentioned, I am already in a support group for losers without a garden tractor

Tim

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Maybe you can donate your 'perfectly good broken in oil' to a homeless shelter? I believe many of their clientele could put your oil into their homes on wheels? I've seen some of them that look as if they could used about a quart or two a day.

At least you would know that your oil was going to a good cause?