80K mile service?

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
My 2012 JSW is coming up on 80K miles. I plan to sell it back to VW in the fall. I'm wondering how much of the 80K mile servicing I should do -- in particular whether I should skip the DSG servicing.
The car has been tuned since last summer (Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune).
Thoughts?
Thanks.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just do the oil change and not the dsg service. Why throw money at something you're getting rid of.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Might want to get it scheduled up soon. You can schedule months in advance and another thread had someone report that appointments were pretty thin.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Honestly, depends how much you drive, might even skip the oil change... Synthetic can easily do 10K miles. Its not necessarily THAT bad for the engine, especially since you are getting rid of it in 6 months.

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
FYI, I am in NJ too.

Originally planned on keeping until fall but couple mechanical issues are forcing our hand. Have not done any maintenance in past 20k miles.

We are returning next week. Can't speak to future but had no issue scheduling. Available once a week at our dealer and checking other nearby dealers they all had availability once a week, just on different days.

Last edited:

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Honestly, depends how much you drive, might even skip the oil change... Synthetic can easily do 10K miles. Its not necessarily THAT bad for the engine, especially since you are getting rid of it in 6 months.
I last changed the oil at just under 72K miles. This car is driven around 1K miles a month, so by October it will be around 87K give or take; maybe less. I could probably get away with not changing the oil, but it's not that big of an expense. It's really the DSG service I'd like to avoid.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The Bosch place near my work charges only $130 for a DSG service, compared to $400 at the dealer.
If your car is relatively low mileage, and has a tune, why are you not keeping it?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
To address the OP, our '13 Passat SEL gets an engine O&F change Monday with 70K miles on it. I'm all signed up for the buyback, just have to choose a date. That will come later this year after the new car shopping (shudder!) is complete. If it happens to hit 80K before buyback, I'll do the engine O&F again, but nothing else. No reason why the car won't go a few thousand more miles with out a DSG or fuel filter service, let VW do that.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
If your car is relatively low mileage, and has a tune, why are you not keeping it?
Several reasons, including that I'd rather have the cash, in the fall I won't need a third car, I'm embarrassed to drive a car that is perceived as being a polluter (please no need for a discussion of that in this thread), and last year I bought a GTI to replace it. But I will miss this car. Should have tuned it earlier.

Last edited: