ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Update: baby's home now. '15 Passat SE 6MT TDI, 8800 miles.

Resting. Still emotional I bet, having seen the Lot of No Return, but shall recover with some TLC.

56(!) MPG on the way home, 100 miles, some 80mph, lots of stop'n'go, cooler day ... INSANE.
My '12 Passat would probably be @ 46MPG on the same drive

###########

OK,

Re-cast my net again.

About 20% of dealers are aware of whats going on. On my 20th call, got a sales person that said VW has put up a site, for dealers, that lists the entire available inventory of used & eligible '15.

He said the manager bought 2 of them yesterday. Not sure how long it takes for the cars to be found in those giant parking lots they got & get delivered, prolly weeks. Not sure who'd apply the fix (probably the buying dealer ?).

But there you have it: there's now a semblance of a process.

May be VW awakens to whats going on and lets dealers KEEP select buybacks on the lot, to speed up the process.

Report all purchases here :)

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like I was able to secure me '15 Passat SE 6MT, w under 10K (miles) on it.

Will get the VIN, run a quick check on it and put a deposit. Should be here in few days.

Bottom line - the system I wrote about is and running. They have a giant inventory to choose from, and can order the car you want.

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Something I am OK with :)

Ca$$$h, no games.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the managers @ dealers have that. Not sure if GP is even supposed to be allowed in ?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
As a general advice, unless you're 110% sure and trust the dealer 120%, dont schedule the BB @ same dealer at the same time as picking up your car :)

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Something I am OK with :)

Ca$$$h, no games.
Thanks for sharing the intel but why be secretive on the price? It would be a service to everyone if you shared the price. Unless VW is setting the price for these cars, and I kind of doubt that, it would help the community to know what kind of deals people are able to snatch these up for and what to be targeting for a price when negotiating.

For example on the new cars the consensus was pretty much, VW rebate only or maybe less $500 or $1k if you found someone willing to deal.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I have seen these cars for sale on cars.com and autotrader.com for about $2-3000 less than buyback amount

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, NE/tri-state folx, call Jeff Griffen @ Executive VW in North Haven CT
(203) 281-0481

He will have car u want, on the flatbed, heading back from those lots of no return, in no time flat. Mine is coming back from RI.

They still have a few "new old stock" '15s in stock, as well.

Tell him the $$$ u want to spend and see what happens.

My amt is MUCH less than what prev post stated.

Last edited:

dvandentop

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Looks like A ton of used tdi 2015 show up on cars.com daily. Listed many different mileage and some listed as in bound with pictures of them obviously taken from the dieselgate holding lot as they have the tag on the mirrors from when previous owners traded them in.

Look for the 2015 use models to be making Market adjustment pricing very soon

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
I have seen these cars for sale on cars.com and autotrader.com for about $2-3000 less than buyback amount
Does "buyback" in "$2-3000 less than the buyback amount" equal (Buyback + Restitution) or just (Buyback)?

For clarity, my 2015 Passat SE Manual has a buyback price of ~21000 Buyback + ~7000 Restitution = 28000 cash in pocket. If I get the fix, it is worth ~7000 Restitution cash in pocket.

So...my question is are equivalent fixed 2015s being sold at ~18-19000, or 25-26000?

Thanks for clarifying,
JKC

RARROYO

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I've got to say, I would like to thank r11 for posting Jeff Griffen as a contact (203) 281-0481. He's a complete gentleman and very helpful in giving me the best scenarios about my tdi purchase and buyback. He was very honest and I look forward to doing business with him. Again thanks for the contact, much appreciated.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
Thanks for sharing the intel but why be secretive on the price? It would be a service to everyone if you shared the price. Unless VW is setting the price for these cars, and I kind of doubt that, it would help the community to know what kind of deals people are able to snatch these up for and what to be targeting for a price when negotiating.

For example on the new cars the consensus was pretty much, VW rebate only or maybe less $500 or $1k if you found someone willing to deal.
I think the deal isnt that great, otherwise Id see something like " omg look what kind of a good deal I got on the car"

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Here's mine. I cold called every dealership in 5 states and this was the only S trim jetta I found, and it happened to be not far from where one of my friends live. I planned on spending up to 16k in the next 2 years to replace my 02, and with the $5k off the S was just a little stretch for a new car with a warranty. I had my friend go look it over and I gave them a $500 deposit.

I was told I got prequalified for 0%, flew to Denver and found out I didn't qualify for it, but the dealership knocked a point off the interest when I stood up to walk out.

Windows are getting tinted as I type then I'm driving it back to MT. It's definitely slow compared to my ALH and seems slower than my moms DSG A3, but oh well, I wasn't expecting it to be fast.

Sent from my eBay VCDS dongle

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like you bought "new old stock" '15 - these are ones that were eligible for those special offers of $5K off MSRP w/ 0%/72 or $8500 off w/ 24m lease.

This thread is about buying the dieselgate-affected cars that were bought back by VW, and as such, as "used" :)

There are 5 or so dumping locations in this great country of ours. Each holding tens of thousands of bought-back vehicles. SAD sight, as most of these are destined for crushers.

But we can still save some of them ...

ADOPT a BUY-BACK TODAY !!!

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like you bought "new old stock" '15 - these are ones that were eligible for those special offers of $5K off MSRP w/ 0%/72 or $8500 off w/ 24m lease.

This thread is about buying the dieselgate-affected cars that were bought back by VW, and as such, as "used" :)

There are 5 or so dumping locations in this great country of ours. Each holding tens of thousands of bought-back vehicles. SAD sight, as most of these are destined for crushers.

I'd say most of the cars are headed for the crushers in the same sense that most of us are headed for the cemetery- eventually. It's annoying when people state opinion as fact.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
As sad and highly subjective as it sounds, I think most TDI die-hards have now located and purchased their '15 "new old stock" cars, from the thousands of the dealer-held stock.

Rest of GP wont care for them. Most have heard that TDI pollution "have killed thousands of ppl" (as per articles in NYT etc) and wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.

There will be few that dont care. A few that will be duped by salesppl into buying a diesel, first discovering that at a gas station when attendant tells them.

Bottom line : crusher for may be 98% of buybacks.

And it is the environmental impact of THAT is really the worst part of it all. Young, aspiring TDI lives squished prematurely, at their prime.

EPA folx didnt consider that for a second. All they had in mind was advancing their careers by imposing the ridiculous ~$30B charge onto a foreign car maker.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
There was a manual Jetta SE for a brief moment selling for $15.7k at LaFontaine Chrysler of Saline (MI), stock # 7V068P.

I see now they changed the price to $21k

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd

Yep, I just got home and realized I posted on the wrong thread from my phone! :rolleyes:

To contribute to this thread though, many of the dealerships I called were telling me about the trade ins they would be selling soon, and with about 20k miles they were talking similar prices to the new-old-stock ones I was looking for.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
When I called a dealership inquiring about a 6MT Sportswagon they told me that even though they don't have any instock his boss is looking into buying few manuals from VW returned TDI's since everyone wanted a manual.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
The process should be pretty simple: u call them, get the manager dude on. He logins into the inventory system that shows all the bought-back cars and runs a search based on the criteria you provide.

Finds the car, tells you the mileage and price. Buys it from VW. You put some kind of deposit down. Depending on the purgatory she's coming from, will be 1-2 weeks till she lands at the dealer. They apply Stage1, service/prep the car .

Last edited:

keith102

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
Local dealer claims to have 50 2015 TDIs. They are listed on cars.com since legally the dealer claims they can't be listed on the dealer website. According to the cars.com ad they are asking MSRP, ~$26K for the 2015 Jetta SE TDI minus $5K Mfg rebate. The one I was asking about had 3,700 miles and was listed as "NEW". Salesperson claimed that was new and that they sold 25 cars recently and just ordered as many more. ~$26K is what I remember them going for pre-Dieselgate. I'm not a buyer at $21K after rebate and will keep driving my 06 Jetta TDI I got to replace my returned 12 Passat TDI until the pricing improves.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
At this moment the VW dealership that I prefer to use has 17 used 2015 VW TDIs available for sale. 10 of them have under 20,000 miles on their odometers. 2 of them have manual transmissions. Probably these were sold back under the buyback program.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Some mgrs just went into that system and bought few buybacks back :) that they think have a chance of gettin sold.

I'd prefer my method - where they select the car YOU SPECIFY, albeit u have to wait bit longer to get it.

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
Pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere, but what warranty are they providing with the used 2015's? It's not the same as the "new" 2015's is it?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Same court-forced 11Y/162K on emissions, thats the most important thing.
Say you bought a used car with 20K on it. You will have the balanace of 162K, 142K mile. Cars cant be more than 2Y, so you will always have at least 9Y.

There's also a safety provision for high mileage cars, but that wont come into play w/ CPOs.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476580&page=2
Everybody also get free DPF, NOx and SCR cats at time of StageII.
Those that will have less than 40K miles at time of StageII, will get ANOTHER new DPF/NOx Cat assy before 150K miles. So keep that in mind...
As for "regular" wty ... prolly the usual VW CPO wty.
http://www.vw.com/certified-pre-owned/
And dont forget to cancel the friggin "trial" Sirius subscription on day one.

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
And dont forget to cancel the friggin "trial" Sirius subscription on day one.
Huh? Why not make use of it. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. Still on the fence if I'll pay when it's expired.