b5.5 passat five speed swap

B5.5 passat

TDI
B5.5 Passat 2.0 tdi
so my transmission took a dump and i'm trying to figure out what parts i need to do the swap i found a car in the junkyard with only nine miles on it ( totaled during the test drive) its a 1.8T. anyone who has any input is greatly appreciated.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
There are threads on this with all the details you want, just use the search option and then if you can't find something, post in one of those threads. This way all revelant info stays in the threads where they belong and makes it easier for others in the future to search for the same info.

The car you found is good for the axles but depends on the transmission you want to use, the clutch is good too but also depends what transmission and power you are planning for. The shifter mechanism will be fine BUT again depends what transmission you want to use. No you can't use the 1.8T transmission.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can use the trans from the AWM 1.8t Passat, it will bolt right up BUT it will be geared way too low for optimal diesel use. You'd want to import a diesel-specific B5 manual gearbox from Europe for best results.

Everything else from that car would work, though. Axles, subframe, clutch pedal, shifter, etc.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
You can use the trans from the AWM 1.8t Passat, it will bolt right up BUT it will be geared way too low for optimal diesel use. You'd want to import a diesel-specific B5 manual gearbox from Europe for best results.

Everything else from that car would work, though. Axles, subframe, clutch pedal, shifter, etc.
He also needs a transmission mount off a manual 2.8 v6 or has to change subframes I believe. At least that's what vwztips told me. The correct Euro TDI 5sp would be FHN. Contact Frans in the vendor thread for that.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Doesn't have to be an FHN, there are several others that will work just as well. There is plenty of info on this forum, just need to do a little search.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
He also needs a transmission mount off a manual 2.8 v6 or has to change subframes I believe. At least that's what vwztips told me. The correct Euro TDI 5sp would be FHN. Contact Frans in the vendor thread for that.
That is correct on the mount and subframe.

Of course FHN are hard to come by now (ask me how I know :D). DUK is the next best thing and work great as well.