Golf runs 'choppy' when started?

bruzer_boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
My Golf has been acting differently lately when started. In the morning or after the car has been sitting for a few hours when I start it up, it gives a puff of smoke and idles a bit rough for 10 seconds or so. Its kind of like when you start it in the winter and don't wait long enough for the glow plugs. The car is an 03 with approx 265000 kms on it. What kind of things should I look at here? Thanks in advance.

brinraeven

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
I had the same kind of problems with my 2000 Golf quite a few years back, and I think it had to do with the injection pump and the air mass sensor. I'll double check with my mechanic and let you know.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
What color is the smoke?

Sounds like you possibly have a leaky injector. With that amount of km's it is definitely time to consider having them serviced and new nozzles installed. Your IP timing could be off slightly as well, have it checked with VCDS.

bruzer_boy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
The smoke is a blue/grey mix. What is involved with having the nozzles serviced? Or how much do new ones run? I'll see if I can get someone here to check the timing of the injection pump.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Definitely sounds more like an injector issue. The best course of action would be to remove the injectors and send them off to someone for new nozzles, cleaning and calibration. I think Drivbiwire has pretty fast turnaround service to Canada. Cost of nozzles can vary depending on if you want stock or want to upgrade. Some .205 Sprints would give you a nice bump in performance for not much money.