frequently asked torque specs

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Head bolts are M12 size bit.

I had one BHW motor come through the shop in May with a failed head gasket. Wasn't smoking so much as it was over pressurizing the cooling system and blowing coolant out of the relief in the expansion tank. Gasket a bad spot on the perimeter of the #2 cylinder. I am fairly sure that simply tightening the head bolts would have had no effect.

I also discovered on this car that his air filter was not installed correctly and his aftermarket fuel filter assembly was installed in such a way that it was not filtering the fuel at all.

LegalRod

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, vented, Frank06 head
Just replace the cylinder head on my ALH and these specs saved me a lot of time. Thanks!!

m.fessler

TDI
AFN
Hello,

are there any torque data from the screws of the head
of the quantity adjuster of the vp37 pump known?

And how firmly should the long screws (which screwed down the
quantity adjuster to the pump) be screwed on?

Thank you,
greetings

Martin

m.fessler

TDI
AFN
Please allow me a one-time push of my last question.
Is there any torque data or even a service pdf for the diesel pump?

Thank you,
greetings

Martin

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Head bolts are M12 size bit.

I had one BHW motor come through the shop in May with a failed head gasket. Wasn't smoking so much as it was over pressurizing the cooling system and blowing coolant out of the relief in the expansion tank. Gasket a bad spot on the perimeter of the #2 cylinder. I am fairly sure that simply tightening the head bolts would have had no effect.

I also discovered on this car that his air filter was not installed correctly and his aftermarket fuel filter assembly was installed in such a way that it was not filtering the fuel at all.
I have seen this, the blowing out of coolant on every type/brand offering of diesel engine I have ever worked on....(BMW 6cyl, GM 6 & 8cyl, Volvo/Audi/VW 4,5 & 6cyls) IDIs & TDIs.....

And once the coolant starts to blow out that is the end! There is no amount of tightening that will make any difference for long enough to matter or be worth doing....

From my close to 4 decades of being around these things only by installing a set of new head bolts & a new head gasket is the only way to fix this type of failure...

runonbeer

TDI
I have seen this, the blowing out of coolant on every type/brand offering of diesel engine I have ever worked on....(BMW 6cyl, GM 6 & 8cyl, Volvo/Audi/VW 4,5 & 6cyls) IDIs & TDIs.....
And once the coolant starts to blow out that is the end! There is no amount of tightening that will make any difference for long enough to matter or be worth doing....
From my close to 4 decades of being around these things only by installing a set of new head bolts & a new head gasket is the only way to fix this type of failure...
Not to mention properly preparing the surfaces of the cylinder head and block prior to installing the new head gasket. I like the 3M Roloc attachments for this type of surface prep.

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Looking for the torque spec for the center axle flange bolt on a 5sp. - passenger side. Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, I've seen this question come up twice at least and no one has responded. I need the info too. Do you just put some locktite on it and crank it tight? Is there no spec for it?
Thanks
This site and you folks are awesome as usual!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hmmm, I've seen this question come up twice at least and no one has responded. I need the info too. Do you just put some locktite on it and crank it tight? Is there no spec for it?
Thanks
This site and you folks are awesome as usual!
C.V. axle:
M8-30ft.lb, - 5 speed
M10-59ft.lb - automatic

According to Bentley, it's done in 2 stages...
first tighten them diagonally to 10 NM (7.4 Ft*Lbs), then tighten them diagonally to 40 NM (30 Ft*Lbs)

(that is: if those are 8 mm bolts... the 10 mm bolt cars are tightened to 70 NM

runonbeer

TDI
I think they’re asking about the bolt that secures the axle flange to the differential on the gearbox. I don’t know the exact value but off the top of my head, it is in the 18 ftlb range.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I think they’re asking about the bolt that secures the axle flange to the differential on the gearbox. I don’t know the exact value but off the top of my head, it is in the 18 ftlb range.
Gotcha. THAT part of the flange.

It only has to hold it on the splined shaft so 18 ft lbs sounds enough. The bolt looks no bigger than bolts which are torqued 15-20ish in general.

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
That's actually a rule of thumb, not a hard/fast rule. And we techs give the parts guys a hard time as they generally know less about the car then we do.
But, when you are replacing the one use bolts, did you ever notice that they all were green? Well, 99% of them anyway.

This is just another case of "a little information is dangerous". Junior tech heard most green bolts are one use so he made asumption (as you me
) they all are.
Its been quite a while since I did parts, but with the red and green thing. Seems to me had more to do with thread pitch than anything else.
Cheers

joshwho?

TDI
'03 ALH Sedan 5 speed
Does anyone know the torque value for the oil pump mounting bolts?

I read through and didn't find it hidden anywhere.
Thanks!
-Josh

wmkornblum

TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 1.9L TDI
Same

Does anyone else feel like their Bentley manual is a very poor manual for providing information? It always seems like what you want to know isn't listed. whether it be torque specs or proper procedures. I thought some of the service manuals were poor for my tractors and trucks but this thing is by far the worst.

It's lacking a lot of information

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
bentley manual are written specifically for well trained mechanics

IOriginally Posted by 57ringo View Post
Does anyone else feel like their Bentley manual is a very poor manual for providing information? It always seems like what you want to know isn't listed. whether it be torque specs or proper procedures. I thought some of the service manuals were poor for my tractors and trucks but this thing is by far the worst.
t's lacking a lot of information
In my decades of experience, I have found the bentley manuals are more than adequate when it comes to needed info for repairs if you are a well-trained mechanic.

The problems start for someone who needs all steps laid out for them to make the repair, like are given in chiltons & similar, the steps that the bentley manual writers assume the mechanic using their manuals do not need spelled out for a successful repair....

If you are having trouble using the bentley manuals I with all due respect suggest taking a refresher mechanic class at a local college to fill in the gaps one who is using a bentley manual is having using it to make the repairs they want....

With my over ~40 years at this point making repairs to all sorts of engines from tractors, boat engines, car engines, suspensions....ect... I find the bentleys plenty useful when carrying out repairs....

I will add that well-trained mechanics in my experience find the chiltons & similar manual to be too filled with what is useless to us details that we all know by heart. It is too cluttered making looking a particular detail we might need take longer than is required, with many times we find the one detail we might need to look up at the time having been left out because the writers of these manuals assume the detail we need is over the head of the shade tree mechanic who is the in the market to purchase their manual.....

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If you are having trouble using the bentley manuals I with all due respect suggest taking a refresher mechanic class at a local college to fill in the gaps one who is using a bentley manual is having using it to make the repairs they want....
I have to disagree with this.
What I see being bushed out of automotive tech schools ranges from horrible to adequate.

Recently one of the newer guys at a local repair shop could not identify the rear differential on a car in the air. Easily identifiable.

The owner has been trashing a few of the schools for years but until I started helping there I thought he was exaggerating.
He wasn't.

This is well outside this forum so I will not continue it but I also feel -all- the manuals need more info.
Torque spec is one of the items.

subber598

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 2013 Passat SE, 2011 Jetta SEL
Bolt heas configuration

I have a head gasket issue and want to try one more 1/4 turn before I take it apart. Also not sure if the head bolts were replaced. Told me the head gasket had been replaced and they drove it about 3 months and it start smoking again.
I know this is an old thread, but those are called triple square bolts; need a different tool than a torx or a allen wrench.

subber598

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 2013 Passat SE, 2011 Jetta SEL
Also known as XZN, in case your friendly local tool supplier hadn't heard of the former...

Yuri
Thanks for that Yuri; I saw that somewhere called XZN and another place said XYZ. I wasn't certain who was right. Btw, you're referring to the external head configuration and not the triple-square internal hole, correct?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I know that not too many TDIs have propshaft that goes to the rear wheels, but I can't seem to find the torque for the bolts that connect the front of the propshaft to the bevel box/transmission. If someone out there knows what it is and could post it, it would be much appreciated.
TIA for any help.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I know that not too many TDIs have propshaft that goes to the rear wheels, but I can't seem to find the torque for the bolts that connect the front of the propshaft to the bevel box/transmission. If someone out there knows what it is and could post it, it would be much appreciated.
TIA for any help.
There's nothing in my Bently called "propshaft".
Got another (official) name for it? First time hearing about it was
very recently. What the heck is it?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
50Nm plus 90°.

Or 60Nm, depending on whether it's the bolt from the front (the former) or the back (latter).
(I'm assuming "propshaft" = "driveshaft". :) )

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
There's nothing in my Bently called "propshaft".
Got another (official) name for it? First time hearing about it was
very recently. What the heck is it?
Thanks for replying. Looks like Nuje found the information I'm looking for. Yeah, propshaft would also be called a driveshaft.

50Nm plus 90°.

Or 60Nm, depending on whether it's the bolt from the front (the former) or the back (latter).
(I'm assuming "propshaft" = "driveshaft". :) )
Awesome! You're the man or women Nuje! Thanks a bunch for finding that for me.

The problem with searching for the torque spec for a "vw mk4 r32 driveshaft torque spec" is that every result that comes up references the front driveshafts, so to try and use a different word in place of driveshaft, I inserted propshaft hoping that I would get better results.
Unfortunately that wasn't the case, but I was hoping that someone on here would understand what I was truly looking for and low and behold Nuje understood what I meant and came to my rescue with the information I was searching for this entire afternoon. Granted searching on my phone didn't help matters. :(

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Keep in mind that, looking at the models/years in the header, this would be on the Mk5 platform. Does that differ from Mk4...? I honestly don't know.
(BTW, nice job on not being presumptive regarding the gender of another forum member...even if I am a guy; important to remember that there are plenty of "she/her' here as well.)

Edit: Found this on the Vortex which might indicate some different numbers (not sure what parts the poster here, who answers his own query, is referring to).
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4083130-Rear-Axle-Torque-Settings-help-please

Drive Shaft to Transmission (Rear Diff, 6 Bolts) 60nm
Prop Shaft to Haldex Coupling (3 Bolts) 40nm
Rear Diff Mount (2 12 Point Spline and 3 Hex Bolts) 75nm
Rear Subframe Bolts = 110nm or 81 ft/lbs
Rear Diff Mounting Bracket (2 12 Point Spline Bolts) 60nm
Maybe try searching Audi TT Mk1 quattro propeller shaft torque or something to that effect. I assume the Mk1 TT Quattro used the same system as the Mk4 4motion.

Last edited: