ALH in a 2.5L MK5 Jetta

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Legalities aside, is it possible? Biggest problem seems to be having the ECU communicate with the MK5 can-bus network. I haven't tried hooking up a MK4 ECU to the MK5 can-bus network but I am really wondering if it would communicate or not.

Regarding mechanical, MK5 has electric PS with its own controller so it looks like all it would need is a PS pump delete and a bigger alternator. The clutchless AC compressor should fit, and BRM boost piping should be a bolt on.

Thoughts?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
So something interesting I found, the Bently manual for MK5 says that the stock auto 09G slushbox has very similar gearing to a stock ALH 5 speed in 6th gear. Since the 5 cyl uses the same bell housing as a 4 cylinder, the ALH should bolt right up. Problem is that will the TCU even communicate with the ALH ECU and rest of the car via can-bus. I have no idea.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
as far as i know, nobody has figured out how to make an ALH work with an 09A trans in regards to ditching the 01M for an 09A on a MK4 car.

Anythings possible with enough time and money but i think your looking at creating a completely standalone trans controller to make it work... and thats if the engine side works right to begin with.

Maybe look at some euro options? maybe something that came with a mk4 engine electronics, while using mk5 body/trans electronics already existed there?

electronics isnt my bag, just spitballin here...