2005 tdi wont crank over

phonse81

TDI
2005 jetta
Was driving today and the car just shutoff on me on acceleration and now will not even turn over. I have recently had problems with the car going into ''limp mode"; this has been happening the last three days. today only though it shut down and will not even crank over. has anyone had an issue like this one? it is -42 celcius with wind today.. car also had been starting difficult when warm; starts fine when cold but if I drive for a bit and shut the vehicle off sometime it would not start again as if the starter was dragging but fine when cold.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

phonse81

TDI
2005 jetta
ok they have it in the shop now and charged the battery overnight. Now it is turning over but will not start. Any suggestions? Could it be the 109 Relay?

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Check the in-tank lift pump; this will not throw a CEL. A failed crank shaft position sensor will cause a CEL, something worth checking.

phonse81

TDI
2005 jetta
OK had the codes read and they are as follows:

P0101
P0726
P0234

Any suggestions?Note that the car will not start right now but will turnover. Unfortunately there are no shops here familiar with the VW!!
Thanks in advance for responses.

Last edited:

phonse81

TDI
2005 jetta
Ok... So reset all codes but the one for the crank sensor kept coming back. Replaced sensor but car still won't start!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Check the wiring from the crank sensor electrical connector all the way to the ECU. Each wire. If it is an A4 I can look up the color coding of the wires in my Bentley and the ECU pin locations for you. That way you can trace the wiring. It may simply be a broken wire. If this is the case, it may be silmper to run a new wire from the sensor to the proper ECU pin and not try to replace the broken wire.

--Nate