Value of a '05 manual Passat TDI?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I'm entertaining the idea of selling my '05 Manual 5-speed Passat TDI with 345K kms but have no idea what it's worth since it's not a regular TDI Passat. I've converted it to a 5-speed manual wen I bought it 3 years ago and had a proper diesel transmission from Europe (FHN), all the conversion parts are VW/Audi and except for the used clutch has been trouble free ever since. Changed the clutch in February and now that issue if fixed too. The timing belt and cam shaft was done 2 years ago, the plastic coolant flange was done this winter. Glow plugs were changed under warranty shortly after the transmission swap. VW replaced almost all panels under the rust warranty. Replaced the turbo about 2 years ago. BSM delete has not been done, has a tow hitch. The car will need a set of tires, one of the upper control arms are worn (have spare to go with the care) and the check engine light comes on once in a while because of the throttle pedal but doesn't effect performance and only happens in the summer months. The right side parking brake cable is sticky, the right rear passenger door has no power and the engine leaks some oil. So in a nutshell it needs some work but I drive it every day and have been since i bought it. What would be a reasonable price to expect from this car if I would want to sell it as-is?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^ Mine comes up at $1100 wholesale. :D

I'm thinking that calculator does not take all the market factors for these cars into account.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
^ Mine comes up at $1100 wholesale. :D
I'm thinking that calculator does not take all the market factors for these cars into account.
In this day and age the amount of people who know how to drive a manual is rapidly dwindling. It is even a fact a manual is less likely to be stolen for that reason.

There is NO market for manuals.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Agreed in the broader market that is Kijiji and Autotrader.

Here amongst the converted, I would say there is still a thriving market for manual TDIs :D

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Really?
I was under the impression that a B5.5 manual diesel Passat is worth more than one with an automatic transmission.
Try and trade it in and your eyes will be opened !

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try and trade it in and your eyes will be opened !
Trade in is not a representation of current market value and I don't think trading in a 13 year old car has much value regardless of the transmission.
I'm just looking for a ballpark/realistic figure what it's worth.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I'm really having a tough time putting a number to it. If it was auto and with the minor issues you listed I'd say around 1500-2000, but given it's a 2005 manual Passat tdi, of which maybe 10 exist in Ontario (throwing out a number) and this is tdiclub, I really don't know

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Your post is rather vague.

You say the timing belt was done 2 year ago but make no mention of how many KMs since. So is it due now?

VW changed "almost all of the body panels". Pics would go a long way to helping determine value.

Turbo replaced about 2 years ago. With what a used one?

Quite frankly with how often you seem to nick pick others posts for lack of clarity I'm surprised you posted this.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your post is rather vague.
You say the timing belt was done 2 year ago but make no mention of how many KMs since. So is it due now?
VW changed "almost all of the body panels". Pics would go a long way to helping determine value.
Turbo replaced about 2 years ago. With what a used one?
Quite frankly with how often you seem to nick pick others posts for lack of clarity I'm surprised you posted this.
~30K kms since timing belt was done. My commute went from 150km/day to 40km/day almost 2 years ago.

Car looks like a normal grey Passat, no rust but nothing out of the ordinary, has some surface scratches that comes with age (it's a daily driver not a show car) but can post pics if it makes that much of a difference.

Turbo replaced with a good used one from The Source for VW (no idea of the mileage but it was in really good condition) and have maybe 15K km on it since.

I'm looking for a rough estimate what it would be worth as the way the car is. Considering that the transmission makes it a pretty rare bird on this continent, is $3K out of the question?

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
$3K is too much ... you could try it .... I think it would sit a while. Be prepared for TONS of lowballers ....

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I can tell you for sure out here in BC you could get north of $5k. No idea in Ontario. Pretty well any tdi will sell for more than $3k out here...

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I hear ya. My 05 Wagon (6speed) is worth more in parts than whole. The body is just toast. I'm causally looking for a new car, but can't find anything I want to pay for that has the same space. Nothing with the same space and mileage!! If someone gave me $3k for it I would run away.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I hear ya. My 05 Wagon (6speed) is worth more in parts than whole. The body is just toast. I'm causally looking for a new car, but can't find anything I want to pay for that has the same space. Nothing with the same space and mileage!! If someone gave me $3k for it I would run away.
Take the money and run away? :D

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Take the money and run away? :D
Yup. After I take my snows off it and install the bald summers. :D Timing belt is past due, still has the original BSM, front end and shocks are all original and the a/c crapped out this summer! I keep saying I'll drive it until it comes home on the hook, but it keeps going.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I would comfortably pay 4-5K for a sedan and 5-7 for a wagon in good condition. Drove one recently and even stock it's such a huge improvement from the mk4 platform. Have been considering doing a wagon manual conversion for awhile now, but it would cost a fair bit more than my current 05 jetta wagon and parts are a bit harder to find/more expensive.

There's definitely a demand for manual passats, we tune them very regularly.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I'm from Nova Scotia, where windsor salt comes from (and believe me, they use a ton of it). I'll never buy a car from out east again after seeing the kind of shape everything out here is in. Floor work gets tiring, although the MK3s out here are still rotting apart.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The B5.5 Passats don't seem to rot as much as the MKIV Golf/Passats.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When my son's karting season ends in mid October, I might consider putting it up for sale. We use it to pull the trailer with the kart and the large trunk fits all the spare parts that we need for the entire season).