NJ emission test

huntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA TDI 5 speed,1978 PEUGEOT 504D 4 speed,1997 AUDI A4 Avent TDI 5 speed TDI(IN EUROPE)
Hi all,
I d like to get rid of
all the junks on the engine ( DPF, EGR )
how can I pass inspection in Jersey?
Thanks,

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
find a crooked or incompetent inspector

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
I would talk to elitegunslinger he is dealing with this now.
I'll be running the gauntlet soon, mines up in February.

find a crooked or incompetent inspector
Won't work, still have to pass to OBDII readiness.

There is a way but only a Malone tuner can really provide a yes or no if your specific vehicle will make it.

If you don't have any codes or readiness issues yet, getting a clean backed up copy of your ECU will make this process a lot easier.

That is all the information I can provide you with, just don't wait till you have issues.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Mine passes in obdII in ny, but I still have both egr systems. Pretty glad I kept them when I every time I open the scanner and get a nice green egr ready light.

I have been tunes for about 70000 miles now, and have not had any issues with inter cooler icing or any drivability issues for that matter. I assume because there is no exhaust flap (or back pressure) the low pressure egr while technically installed is largely vestigial with out the flap to force the exhaust through the filter and into the intake.

The main reason I chose to keep the egr was to avoid longer warm up times, so far Im not regretting the decision.

huntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA TDI 5 speed,1978 PEUGEOT 504D 4 speed,1997 AUDI A4 Avent TDI 5 speed TDI(IN EUROPE)
So I can just get rid of the DPF and keep
the EGR ?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
So I can just get rid of the DPF and keep
the EGR ?
You could but you can also pass with nothing there; readiness values won't go away if you get them backed up while they are there. You'll only have one readiness not there but in NJ and NY that is fine.:D

huntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
ok. thanks all.
elitegunslinger i'll pm you

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Mine passes in obdII in ny, but I still have both egr systems. Pretty glad I kept them when I every time I open the scanner and get a nice green egr ready light.

I have been tunes for about 70000 miles now, and have not had any issues with inter cooler icing or any drivability issues for that matter. I assume because there is no exhaust flap (or back pressure) the low pressure egr while technically installed is largely vestigial with out the flap to force the exhaust through the filter and into the intake.

The main reason I chose to keep the egr was to avoid longer warm up times, so far Im not regretting the decision.
I wish the downpipe you have was still available to purchase...

Ppolaris1010

TDI
2013 jetta sportwagen
You could but you can also pass with nothing there; readiness values won't go away if you get them backed up while they are there. You'll only have one readiness not there but in NJ and NY that is fine.:D
How does that work being backed up will it always show ready or do you have to do something else

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
How does that work being backed up will it always show ready or do you have to do something else
Basically if you have a good backup and get tuned the values will only go away once you clear a CEL. Then you need to be re-flashed to gain readiness again.

Readiness values cannot return without the equipment necessary to perform the tests however once tuned these values don't leave until cleared.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
so what you are talking about is modifying the computer to lie to the emissions inspection folks, then hoping they are too stupid to notice missing equipment.

of course, you do understand that the only reason we have emissions testing is that the air quality where you live does not meet standards set in 1990.

and lest we forget, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396162

We feel that it is in the community's best interest to permit these discussions. It is important (and therefore required), however, that these types of discussions clearly state that:

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

of course, any of us that order parts from out of state to dodge sales tax and fail to pay up when we file taxes are engaged in a little fraud, so plenty of white collar crime to go around.

huntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
You think the clean diesel is clean. I got news for you, it is not.
Do some research.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
You think the clean diesel is clean. I got news for you, it is not.
Do some research.
He's just stating what we're discussing isn't kosher at a state/federal level and it isn't condoned by the site.

I'm just answering a question; I'm not going to comment on moral compass, environmental impact, or the price of tea in China because it's an exercise in futility.

Bottom line, you can pass emissions in certain cases but speak with your tuner and see your local laws for emissions standards.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Elite,
FYI, xferred my car to NJ plates. At state inspection station in Mays Landing they did NO visual inspection!

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Elite,
FYI, xferred my car to NJ plates. At state inspection station in Mays Landing they did NO visual inspection!
Is your DPF deleted? If so, how are your readiness codes? I just ordered a Rawtek kit. I need to get inspected in July so I figured I would do that first before I make any moves lol

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Is your DPF deleted? If so, how are your readiness codes? I just ordered a Rawtek kit. I need to get inspected in July so I figured I would do that first before I make any moves lol

No Sir, stock. May tune mine but am leaning towards keeping the dpf.