LUK 17-050 clutch

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
Not sure if this model is the same as the stock 99.5 LUK clutch, but mine has held RC 2 plus sprint 520s for 130k miles and has 310k in it.

alhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd TDI
IBW , think a 050 Luk is good for 0.205 DLC520 nozzles and asv110 RC3 or RC2 (I have a switchable ecu) ? It's doing fine with stock nozzles so far.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe. RC2 should be fine, not sure about RC3. It'll probably depend on how you drive it.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
This clutch. 17-050 is rated at 260ft lb. Ive read around it supports upwards of 300ft lb.

If i was close to this number tho I would think of other options. Mine is getting installed next week. Hoping things are alot smoother and easier afterwards. Waiting on the last of the parts to come in hopefully saturday.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It won't hold 300. It's about as strong as a stock clutch. The one that went in my A3 did so because it never held in my wagon. Don't confuse it with the LUK clutch that was OE in the '99.5 Jetta and Golf. That one was stronger.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
It won't hold 300. It's about as strong as a stock clutch. The one that went in my A3 did so because it never held in my wagon. Don't confuse it with the LUK clutch that was OE in the '99.5 Jetta and Golf. That one was stronger.

Not saying it would handle it for a extended period of time. Aren't you one of the guys from IDParts? Even on the site it says should easily hold 260ft lb.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I am from IDParts. And 260 is fine. When I had one in my wagon I was making over 300 and it wouldn't hold for a dyno pull.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
i wonder how it is even 260, it feels so light, even lighter than my mk6 golf tdi, which i thought had the lightest clutch

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Will this clutch work in a b4 tdi for sure? Partsgeeks site says yes, amazon says no.
It will work - I had one in my B4. The dust shield needs to be trimmed in the center though.

If you don't trim the Dust shield, the flywheel will bottom on it and the engine will not turn freely.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
It will work - I had one in my B4. The dust shield needs to be trimmed in the center though.
If you don't trim the Dust shield, the flywheel will bottom on it and the engine will not turn freely.
Read what Windex said carefully and slowly, twice. Ask me how I know...

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
I put this clutch in my 2006 PD wagon this week. I got 520k-km on the original Sachs unit. I found that lots of material was left and the surfaces looked great but the throw out bearing was badly worn causing a hard pedal. Love the new smooth clutch.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Since it's been brought back from the dead. I kinda feel like my car is missing something if I bleed my clutch cyl it's super easy to press. After a few miles it stiffens up. Never any issues. Just odd that it stiffens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Karone

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2003 NB
So did the 2003 Jetta have the same oem LUK clutch as the 99.5? I have 308,000 miles on mine and dont recognize any noise or roughness. I have been told if that flywheel goes it WILL damage the trans so I want to be ahead of the curve. Car is one owner and driven decently, has lots of highway miles. Just recently replaced the turbo and injectors. Should I expect more out of my clutch or am I pushing it?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
No, it's not the same as the '99.5. However, if driven properly they can last a long time. We just replaced the Sachs clutch and flywheel on my son's '02 at 330K miles. But the flywheel was toast: masses were offset and locked together. And the clutch was at the end of its life.

Typically they won't damage the transmission when they fail. But you probably are pushing your luck.

BTW, the 17-050 is NOT the same clutch and flywheel as OE on the '99.5 cars. Similar, but not identical.

Uncle Karone

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2003 NB
Thank you. So I have an oem Sachs in my 2003? I like the idea of a SMF but wish to maintain civilized driveability with long term durability. Which set up is recommended to meet those goals. Has 1019 DLC matched injectors from Kermi and a new rotating assembly with "improved" impeller and new vanes etc. in the turbo. Not going any further on the engine.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
A properly driven DMF setup should last at least 200K miles. SMF may last longer, and will take more abuse. I've had both in my wagon over the years and it's pretty difficult to tell the difference in day-to-day driving. Right now I have an SMF South Bend Stage 2 daily with a setup similar to yours (11mm pump, PP357s, lift pump, RC3+, VNT-15). Clutch is more than adequate for that setup. A Sachs Quiet clutch probably would have gotten the job done.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My '03 has the stock Sachs in it and it's not making noise or slipping. I do have a Luk Repset on the shelf for when it pukes; they were very cheap (under $200) a couple of years ago and I stashed one on the shelf at the time.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
~240,000 -- with the last ~50k or so being my kid (who LEARNED TO DRIVE on the car!)

I fully expected she'd smoke the OE clutch sometime in the last few years. Nope.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
My '03 has the stock Sachs in it and it's not making noise or slipping. I do have a Luk Repset on the shelf for when it pukes; they were very cheap (under $200) a couple of years ago and I stashed one on the shelf at the time.
Looking forward to getting the Repset under my left foot in my 2004 wagon. After leaving my wife driving my 2004 all last summer, my slipping in 4th and 5th while merging on the interstate seems to have gone away. (expect the slipping was residual damage from the leaky slave cyl). I know I'm on borrowed time. :rolleyes: I've got two of those Repset's kicking around my house to go into the TDI's in the driveway. At $186 with prime, the only one disappointed with my purchase was the delivery driver who had to bring two 35lbs boxes up to the door...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm currently in the process of installing one of these clutches and something doesn't feel/seem right. I have the assembly on the end of the crank and I'm running down the bolts (trying to tighten down diagonally) but the bolts seem tough (not exceedingly so, I don't think that things are stripping) and the assembly continues to wobble all over the place. Never installed a DMF before so I'm not sure how this should be/feel.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm currently in the process of installing one of these clutches and something doesn't feel/seem right. I have the assembly on the end of the crank and I'm running down the bolts (trying to tighten down diagonally) but the bolts seem tough (not exceedingly so, I don't think that things are stripping) and the assembly continues to wobble all over the place. Never installed a DMF before so I'm not sure how this should be/feel.
bolts have an antisieze/thread sealer so stiffness running in is to be expected ... also wobble between the clutch section of the dmf and the flywheel is 100% normal

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Many thanks for the reply. It's kind of an unnerving feeling, wondering if things are actually going to be OK (and if not, knowing that it's a LOT of work to get back in there).

I'm only running the bolts down with a 3/8" ratchet, so not big torque (effort feels greater with this smaller ratchet).

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Many thanks for the reply. It's kind of an unnerving feeling, wondering if things are actually going to be OK (and if not, knowing that it's a LOT of work to get back in there).

I'm only running the bolts down with a 3/8" ratchet, so not big torque (effort feels greater with this smaller ratchet).
yeah, i use a 3/8" ratchet running those bolts in and get arm pump every time :D