My fallen headliner

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
My headliner is connected on the sides, front and back but it hangs loose down 3 to 5" and blows with the wind. What is the easiest way to reattach it to the ceiling above? Can it be done without removing it?
I did a search with no luck, but I am probably not the only one with this issue.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
There isn't a good way to fix it without removing it from the car and having it redone (or re-doing it yourself.)

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
headliner

I had thought of taking a piece of clear plastic about 3' by 4' and screwing it thru the fabric into the roof. Would this work? Somebody also suggested heating the liner to soften the glue above it, assuming the glue dried out. I'm looking for good-cheap ideas here.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle DSG Trans.
The fabric is coming apart from the foam backing. There is no good way to fix it. It was not expensive to have the headliner redone.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
The REALLY cheap fix is to get a box of pins, and they make plastic headed upholstery pins that have a spiral screw pin. Dig around Ebay or Amazon, you can get a 100 for about $10. Create a nice regular pattern every 3-4" and it'll look fine. {:eek:) Custom buttoned!

Once pinned up, it won't flap in the breeze. Mine was so bad when I got my car that it was interfering with the rear view mirror line of sight. My first safety inspection my trusted mechanic noticed it. He said "I would have failed you if it was blocking vision." A year later I don't even notice the fix, mind you, I don't look up. Don't point it out, and it's unlikely passengers will either.

The contact glue just lets go over time, it's not a good bond in the long run. The solvents eventually leach out of the crap. Quick and dirty IMO, used to hate finding it when I was restoring antiques.

Now if you could turn the car over and work downhand, I'd consider
a real fix, lol.

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
I bit the bullet and had the headliner redone. Check Craigslist in your area and you will find an advertisement for those services. Should run about $200 depending where you live. Only a phone call away to see if it is worth your while to get it done...or pin it a the poster above suggests.

taaffenelson

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L ALH
Unconventional fix that worked without expense

Hate to write this but I stapled my 2001 Golf TDI (304500 mi.) headliner back up three years ago and haven't given it a thought since. This is a daily work ride for me only so aesthetics were not a concern. Just make sure you use soft staples and don't slam the arm upward denting the roof.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I stapled mine all the way around the perimeter while holding pressure/keeping it pulled tight. It has held up very well suprisingly.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Headliner

It would nice to know just what the structure is like above the headliner. I don't want to screw, staple etc. making a hole in the roof. I can't tell by feeling from the bottom. Anyone know?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
It would nice to know just what the structure is like above the headliner. I don't want to screw, staple etc. making a hole in the roof. I can't tell by feeling from the bottom. Anyone know?
It's a hard foam moulded to give the interior contours. Using straight sewing pins I just angled them. It's highly unlikely you'll put a hole
in the steel roof. Guessing here 3/8" staples will be just fine in something like an Arrow T50 hand powered staple gun.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
headliner

Whats above the fabric took 1/4" staples just fine. Trouble is there are some drooping areas between staples, but at least it's up there. I wish I'd taken more time to do a better job.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Those spiral pins with the clear plastic heads that Rrusse11 mentioned work great. It's what I used on the last one with a sagging headliner.

I've done four headliners on VWs (removed the board, wire brushed the old foam/adhesive off, and put new fabric on). It's more of a pain to take the trim off to get the headliner board out than doing the job.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yep -- I did my car (before giving it to my kid) the same way -- pulled it, removed the old, and applied new with headliner contact adhesive (it's a spray.) It's not hard really; taking it out (and removing the stuff you have to take off to get it out) is a bigger pain in the neck than anything else.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Those spiral pins with the clear plastic heads that Rrusse11 mentioned work great. It's what I used on the last one with a sagging headliner.
That's what I used. I bought 100 upholstery pins for about $10 from Amazon, then installed them about 5" apart in rows that were about 5" apart. It looks okay. At the back, right above the hatch, I had to use an adhesive spray.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
I tried reupholstering my door cards and decided I wasn't meant for that kind of work. My headliner is sagging now as well, so I'll likely do the R n R on the headliner and take it to the same place that did my doors cards.
Using staples or even those trailer pins with the clear plastic heads is temporary and will put a bunch of holes in the backing. Best to put in the effort and do a better job.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
applied new with headliner contact adhesive (it's a spray.)
Gen- do you remember what product you used? 3M has three different types, and competes with at least 10 others- none of which seem to have positive reports in the DIY's at the Vortex.

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
I've done a few head liners because of the sag in the past. Wagons/hatches/no sunroof are easier. Take headliner shell out, remove old material, super 77/super 90 spray adhesive, lay new material down in stages, reinstall. <$40 job with JoAnn coupons.

I've used the foam backed headliner stuff from Joann's, but I'd like to source a better headliner material. Recently noticed rubbing head on the area right at drivers door is kind of pilling. I tried with black suede, but I ruined that fabric with too much wet glue (do light coat both sides and wait few mins to tack), and because it had no stretch to hit compound curves.

I'm sure you could use what even fabric you wanted, i would advise something with a bit of plush thickness, and a bit of stretch so you can round corners.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Gen- do you remember what product you used? 3M has three different types, and competes with at least 10 others- none of which seem to have positive reports in the DIY's at the Vortex.
I MAY have part of a can left... will look when I get home (on the road right now.)

It's held up well for ~3 years so far, so that would be positive in my book. No problems, no sags.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I MAY have part of a can left... will look when I get home (on the road right now.)

It's held up well for ~3 years so far, so that would be positive in my book. No problems, no sags.

Hint on application: Do it from one end to the other, not all at once. Spray a small section, adhere the headliner, do the next section (starting from one end), and so on. Make sure you have appropriately oversized the headliner you're applying. The sunroof opening is tricky to get right; I got it 99% and it's ok, but I came close to blowing it.