www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 2nd, 2019, 13:39   #1
JoeTDI65

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Default 02 alh won't keep running

So it got cold here, went to start the alh one morning. cranked won't start. Tried it enough times killed the battery. Remembered i hadn't changed the fuel filter in more than 20k miles. put the filter in, filled it with diesel replaced the o rings on T fitting. Might have had a little bit of air in the system. Cracked all the injectors open to purge air when cranking. I've done it a few times now, still won't run. Acts like its going to run for 1 second then dies. I feel like its not getting fuel. IP is not leaking and it definitely is pumping to the injectors. I guess where i'm at is testing the flow from the tank to the filter. How often can the sending unit get clogged? Just wondering if that is what it is?
Old December 2nd, 2019, 14:32   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

I want to say temperature sensor, however, last time I threw that out it ended up being the crank sensor. So you should check the rpm on g28 and verify temp as well.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 15:42   #3
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Also make sure the ASV is open. If stuck closed it will act like it maybe wants to fire, but won't.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 20:51   #4
wonneber
Veteran Member

2X on the ASV.
Mine fluttered a bit then cranked slightly faster.

I cleaned the inlet area of mine with a shop rag and brake cleaner. Worked OK again.
Others didn't like the idea of the rag loosening grit up & it getting sucked into the engine.
I didn't go much past where the valve closes.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 04:35   #5
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonneber View Post
2X on the ASV.
Mine fluttered a bit then cranked slightly faster.

I cleaned the inlet area of mine with a shop rag and brake cleaner. Worked OK again.
Others didn't like the idea of the rag loosening grit up & it getting sucked into the engine.
I didn't go much past where the valve closes.

I've cleaned the "throat" of several Intakes with no ill effect. I removed the EGR assembly and cleaned it extremely well. The owner(s) did not want to pay for an Intake removal cleaning. So, with warning, I cleaned the area just down stream from where the EGR bolts on. I "feathered" the crude down flat to reduce turbulence in the transition. The first one I did was at least 10 years ago. The guy is still driving the car with no problems.

Yes, I know this is not the recommended way to do.......... I've done several Intake removals and cleanings! Just sharing my story!
Old December 3rd, 2019, 04:40   #6
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

How "cold" did it get?? If the fuel wasn't ready for the cold temps perhaps it's gelled up at the usual pickup tube.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:46   #7
JoeTDI65

well it got down to 0 deg. but its warmed up since and it just wont get past a quick spurt of running. i'm pretty sure it has to do with fuel supply. its just dark and cold when i get home in the evenings. I need to hook up a vacuum to the tank supply line to the filter and see if its flowing or not. I filled the filter with diesel a couple times now, so its pulling from the filter at least.

i will also take the advise and check the asv and see what its doing.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 10:10   #8
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Hang a jug and supply it with fuel from above. If it runs then it's likely jelled.

'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
Old December 3rd, 2019, 11:26   #9
JoeTDI65

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
Hang a jug and supply it with fuel from above. If it runs then it's likely jelled.

Its warmed up since. Its 50 deg today. I'll mess with it tonight since its warmer and check the asv, and also see if i can pull fuel from the tank easily.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 12:11   #10
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTDI65 View Post
...............snip.................Cracked all the injectors open to purge air when cranking................snip.................
Did you get fuel spray when you did this?
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2019, 08:47   #11
JoeTDI65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Did you get fuel spray when you did this?
yes it did. afterwards i checked the filter and the fuel level was low in the canister. so i dumped more into the filter. that is what makes me think that there's a restriction between the fuel tank and the filter. The thing that gets me right now is the time of year and it just happens that i parked the car in the driveway. There's enough of a slope that i can't push it in the garage, so i get home in the evenings and its dark and cold so it's not my priority when i get home.

Last edited by JoeTDI65; December 4th, 2019 at 08:55.
JoeTDI65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2019, 10:29   #12
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

If you're getting air in the filter then you need to look at sure getting in the fuel system. Look at all fuel lines to and from the pump, injectors, and the tank.

Old December 4th, 2019, 12:10   #13
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTDI65 View Post
yes it did. afterwards i checked the filter and the fuel level was low in the canister. so i dumped more into the filter. that is what makes me think that there's a restriction between the fuel tank and the filter...................snip...............
If you got spray at the nuts, you're getting fuel, it should start. Could also be air restricted or a big pipe has come loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
If you're getting air in the filter then you need to look at sure getting in the fuel system. Look at all fuel lines to and from the pump, injectors, and the tank.

He did just change the fuel filter, so there would be some air.
Old December 4th, 2019, 12:21   #14
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
He did just change the fuel filter, so there would be some air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetdi65
put the filter in, filled it with diesel replaced the o rings on T fitting.
Should be full, could be the o-rings, or fuel line issue.

Old December 4th, 2019, 12:46   #15
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Agreed, but if you disconnect stuff there will be some air, not enough to keep it from starting.
Dumb, but weather related, air filter is wet and froze.