www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old December 1st, 2019, 05:53   #106
jmodge
Veteran Member

Any idea how the mechanical timing became off the graph?
Old December 1st, 2019, 12:16   #107
superhl
Veteran Member

I don't have a clue. The week before I changed quantity adjuster seals top and bottom. It ran fine other than the 4-5 rotations when starting in the morning. The timing was slightly advanced which is the way I set it. I changed the IP head seal Wednesday and timing way off. Unless losing the bolts moved the IP. They seem rather tight. Now the engine sounds louder and I have what seems like turbo lag. This morning it at least 5 rotations before engine started. It was 60 degrees outside. Did I pinch the seal. The main goal for installing the seal was to help eliminate having the engine rotate 4-6 rotations before starting. Anything I can test the vagcom to verify all is well? Also, not seeing air in the fuel line.
superhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 20:19   #108
superhl
Veteran Member

I drove a short distance from the house and it shutoff. It appears the engine has seized. Will remove the valve cover tomorrow evening. First I going to remove the serpentine belt and check the alternator. The brake lights warning appeared shortley before the engine stalled.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 20:30   #109
superhl
Veteran Member

Lifters are hosed. Pulling the heads sometimes tomorrow to see how the pistons look. How did changing the IP head seal throw off the timing? Maybe just a consequence. The hard morning starts. The timing belt was still firm. If not fixable may purchase new 1.9 engine.
Old December 6th, 2019, 09:13   #110
superhl
Veteran Member

I removed the valve cover and 1 valve was destroyed. The others looked fine. Timing belt was tight appeared not to have jumped... I need to remove the head. I couldn't find a valve12MM TRIPLE SQUARE CYLINDER HEAD BOLT TOOL locally - autozone, etc. I ordered one online. Should be here Monday.
Old Today, 16:48   #111
superhl
Veteran Member

Heads and Piston-
Still can't determine why there was interference. Sending heads to Frank.

[IMG][/IMG]