www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old November 22nd, 2019, 17:59   #46
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta DSG
Fuel Economy: Max 54, 44 avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Unfortunately, I think the general public is frightened of "used" cars. Possibly because they are unable to objectively evaluate them let alone take the steps to keep them functioning.
Fact is, EVERY car is "used" the second it is driven off the dealer's lot.
I really do think the truth is right in Oilhammer post!

Most people now days can't fix their own car, house, or anything else....

I used to just think they were lazy or busy. But most people can't figure out basic troubleshooting and are afraid to figure things out on their own.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 08:42   #47
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSTDI View Post
I really do think the truth is right in Oilhammer post!
Most people now days can't fix their own car, house, or anything else....
I used to just think they were lazy or busy. But most people can't figure out basic troubleshooting and are afraid to figure things out on their own.
And that plays right into the hands of manufacturers as they make cars more complex and build crummy home appliances that last five years if you are lucky....push more product out the door and fleece consumers.
Old November 27th, 2019, 18:24   #48
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
DELETED VEHICLES ARE NOW THE #1 AIR POLLUTION SOURCE in the country.
lmfao

how about the department of defense destroying millions of acres of land with tri-chloro ethylene? and the thousands of turbine engines, diesel engines, and nuclear engines they maintain and operate?
Old November 28th, 2019, 04:32   #49
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

This morning I received an email from one of our shipping companies which in part reads:

The maritime industry is facing great changes: Starting January 1, 2020, vessels will only be allowed to use fuel with a maximum sulphur content of 0.5 percent. The current standard is fuels with a sulphur cap of 3.5 percent. The new IMO2020 regulation is the first in a series of International Maritime Organization (IMO) measures to reduce marine pollution. Using low-sulphur fuel oil will be the key solution for the shipping industry.

My understanding is that ships are a huge, if not the largest, source of pollution of all types. Spend any time around the Los Angeles Port and you'll find a fine coating of soot on everything.

The rest of the letter describes how the company will be increasing prices to pay for the fuel. Rumor is this will increase over the road ULSD prices, too, because of increased demand of similar fuel for ships.
Old November 28th, 2019, 14:44   #50
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Wait till they put a giant dpf on them! Man what a regen.
Old November 29th, 2019, 09:12   #51
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymander View Post
how about the department of defense destroying millions of acres of land with tri-chloro ethylene?
What does the TCE contribute to air pollution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymander View Post
and the thousands of turbine engines, diesel engines, and nuclear engines they maintain and operate?
Their diesel engines have intact emissions control systems on them.

What is a "Nuclear engine" LMFAO! And how much soot and NOx do they produce when operated? doubleLMFAO!

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 09:19   #52
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

So far as I know, "nuclear engine" is just a nuclear reactor making steam for various uses. A bit impractical for use in passenger cars / light trucks, but could be useful for OTR semi's (if you can shrink the reactor enough and still get a useful amount of power to move the load.). In this application, until it's time to refuel the reactor, you would have practically zero emissions.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 10:30   #53
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I think nuclear reactor semi trucks are still a few years out . Much more sensible to have electric semi's charged from a stationary nuclear reactor plant. But nuclear power is on it's way out. Too expensive.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 11:41   #54
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
So far as I know, "nuclear engine" is just a nuclear reactor making steam for various uses. A bit impractical for use in passenger cars / light trucks, but could be useful for OTR semi's (if you can shrink the reactor enough and still get a useful amount of power to move the load.). In this application, until it's time to refuel the reactor, you would have practically zero emissions.
I know, I was making fun of the absurd statement I quoted.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:01   #55
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Wait till they put a giant dpf on them! Man what a regen.
Many ships have something like this... they bubble the exhaust through water.
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG. Sold to JDSwann's Brother.
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:48   #56
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSTDI View Post
It would appear green diesel engineering has quit selling Tunes. Not sure how long ago that happened. Very sad to see.

Early to mid Sept is when GDE got raided by the EPA. GDE is now sending out CARB violation notices to anyone that bought one of their tunes. Since their basic tune did not require removing any hardware, I call BS on the EPAs comment that they are only going after the full delete people.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:51   #57
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I think "raid" is a strong term for EPA agents showing up and checking vehicles for hardware deletes and tunes. But since GDE was doing both I think the tunes got painted with the same brush. Also, they are contacting customers in CA that were tuned and offering to return them to stock. I think that's part of the settlement with the EPA, in addition to a fine.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:57   #58
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I'm a bit surprised that GDE kept selling delete tunes after CARB fired a $50k shot (fine) over his bow. I guess he figured he could just cut out the California tunes and CARB would leave him alone.
Reading the threads on Ram1500diesel.com, it looks like part of the agreement with CARB was to not offer any tunes to Ca registered vehicles. Probably why GDE got off with a $50k fine versus others that forced bankruptcy.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:02   #59
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
This morning I received an email from one of our shipping companies which in part reads:

The maritime industry is facing great changes: Starting January 1, 2020, vessels will only be allowed to use fuel with a maximum sulphur content of 0.5 percent. The current standard is fuels with a sulphur cap of 3.5 percent. The new IMO2020 regulation is the first in a series of International Maritime Organization (IMO) measures to reduce marine pollution. Using low-sulphur fuel oil will be the key solution for the shipping industry.

My understanding is that ships are a huge, if not the largest, source of pollution of all types. Spend any time around the Los Angeles Port and you'll find a fine coating of soot on everything.

The rest of the letter describes how the company will be increasing prices to pay for the fuel. Rumor is this will increase over the road ULSD prices, too, because of increased demand of similar fuel for ships.
I thought the regulation change was for fuel used only while in port. Or maybe that's what is in effect today. If all those supply ships change from bunker oil to ULSD, that will have a large effect on pump pricing. At least until the refineries get things balanced. Then all fuel prices should be up.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:05   #60
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I think "raid" is a strong term for EPA agents showing up and checking vehicles for hardware deletes and tunes. But since GDE was doing both I think the tunes got painted with the same brush. Also, they are contacting customers in CA that were tuned and offering to return them to stock. I think that's part of the settlement with the EPA, in addition to a fine.
The letters have gone out to all GDE tuned owners in the US. The first posted copy was from someone in Florida.