Quantity Adjuster Advice

CrossCountryJetta

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey guys,

I think my QA needs some love. I have symptoms a lot like this guy (link below), rough idle, car stalling while driving, occasional pulses of fuel causing to rev, etc. Of course flashing glow plug and CEL.

I don't have access to a VAG right now but something similar happened once about 8 months ago, I let it sit overnight and never had another problem until now. The code at that time was QA upper limit reached and so I assume this problem is finely getting worse.

I'm in Windsor, ON right now and hoping I can at least limp this car half way home (200km) to get within my tow range as I do not have the tools (or know how really) to attempt cleaning and adjusting the QA as suggested in the thread below.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=327492

My question is if I can keep restarting this and make it go do you think I'll do any irreparable damage? And when I get it back should I maybe just salvage an IP off one of my other cars and pay someone to put it in? Or does a newbie have a realistic shot of adjusting this thing after cleaning?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts and advice.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
There is the possibility that wild quantity swings could do some harm.

That said, many of us would roll the dice and try to get it as close to the tow as possible.

Replacement or adjustment of the QA should not to be attempted unless you have Vag Com so that it can be dialed in appropriately. There is the potential for a runaway if this job is done improperly.

-Rich

CrossCountryJetta

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hi Rich,

Thanks for that, yeah I had figured it could possibly damage the pump especially, hadn't considered the runaway though so thank you specifically for that advice.

So today I went to try do a short run with it to see and part way through the drive the CEL went off and likewise the plug light stopped blinking and it seems to be running ok again. Strange this happened once before about 8 months ago. I guess I'll see how the long drive home goes.