battery life?

gailz

TDI
03 silver Jetta wagon
Do I need a new battery? I still have the original.

I'vehad trouble starting my 2003 automatic Jetta on and off for the past few weeks--since the weather turned cold (but it does live in the garage, not below freezing). It's not the antishudder valve. It cranks fast, power gadgets work, but it doesn't start till the second or third try at cranking. I stop when the oil light comes on and beeps. Today it wouldn't start at all, and the cranking began to slow.

So I guess after 8measly years a new battery might help?

Thanks for any thoughts!

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
tough to diagnose, at first you say the battery will crank until the oil light comes on. Then you say the cranking began to slow.

The latter says it is a battery issue, but I think you have something else going on with the hard starting when the battery was spinning the engine fast enough.

You can check the battery at most autoparts stores, however after 8 years it's probably done.

CosmicMiami

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan-Trudy
I've been thinking of battery life. Here in South Florida, the heat means limited battery life. Seeing as how the battery is not the easiest to replace, I'm trying to think of my options.

My experience here is that one day your battery is fine and the next it is dead. I mean dead. No warning.

Any owners in other hot climate areas with some suggestions?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray

I'vehad trouble starting my 2003 automatic Jetta on and off for the past few weeks--since the weather turned cold (but it does live in the garage, not below freezing). It's not the antishudder valve. It cranks fast, power gadgets work, but it doesn't start till the second or third try at cranking. I stop when the oil light comes on and beeps. Today it wouldn't start at all, and the cranking began to slow.

Thanks for any thoughts!

To cut to the chase, you are lucky you got THAT kind of warning. On two of my (03 TDI) OEM batteries, realistically all I got was a "click" with no crank or start. One even "died" after a 4 hour non stop trip. Luckily BOTH batteries died in the drive way. Yes @ any time I could have had jump starts to get me to the next transition.

Sure you could do a couple of stop gap measures: 1. get a shop to do a battery and charger system test 2. get the 8 year old battery rapid or trickle charged. This might get you a temporary or even longer bridge fix. But @ 8 years old even with all of this, it may not be putting both the CCA nor 72 ah out anymore.

Last edited:

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If it is cranking good to start with I may suspect your IP is starting to lose its prime. How big is the bubble in your clear fuel line? Are there lots of bubbles moving through it when running? I still have the original battery in my 03 wagon. It is good to about -20 or -25 degrees Celsius without plugging it in. I intend on running it till the fall at least.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I've had 3 OEM batteries go on me within the last year: tractor, pickup and Cabrio (oops, not OEM on it). All these were at 5-6 years. In the case of the pickup, voltage was JUST below the magic 12.6 volts that is needed for the starter to work.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If I don't get 7 years out of a battery, I feel I have been shortchanged.

gailz

TDI
03 silver Jetta wagon
How big is the bubble in your clear fuel line? Are there lots of bubbles moving through it when running?

that was a quote --well,idon't know about bubbles when it's running because i can't start it.

and where is that clear fuel line please?

thanks for the ideas. without a miracle tonight i will have it towed to my mechanic tomorrow a.m.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Most cars this vintage have a clear fuel line running from the fuel filter to the injection pump.

gailz

TDI
03 silver Jetta wagon
steelmb, you are dealing with someone who doesn't know a fuel pump from an injection filter or an alternator or anything else (exceptthe asv, which iam a expert at). ican't see a clear plastic line anywhere, nor can ifind a photo. more help, please.

thanks!

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
5 yrs is about the life expectancy of any battery. You should change it every 5 yrs no matter what....especially in cold climates.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan

Thanks for any thoughts!
air in fuel lines + weak battery.

check for fuel leaks around the fuel filter. Look on top of fuel filter housing. The mickey-mouse clip holds the thermostatic valve. O-rings on this valve may be leaking. They should be replaced at every fuel filter change.

80Ah battery from dealer is an easy fix. You got your money's worth out of the original ;)

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I got 6 years out my battery on my 2001 and on my 2004, the PO had just replaced it when I bought the car last year, which means it lasted about 6 years also.

I think if you changed it, even if it's not the problem, you gotta think it's due at anytime.

gailz

TDI
03 silver Jetta wagon
thanks to all. towguy is here right now dragging off the victim, and i didn't get a chance to compare the photos with my engine. but that hose looks so obvious i don't know how i could have missed it. he tried to jump it but that didn't work. so new battery plus mystery still. ihave faith in my mechanic!

thanks again to all. may haul my computer to steve if he wants to join you.

gailz

TDI
03 silver Jetta wagon
air in fuel lines + weak battery.

check for fuel leaks around the fuel filter. Look on top of fuel filter housing. The mickey-mouse clip holds the thermostatic valve. O-rings on this valve may be leaking. They should be replaced at every fuel filter change.

80Ah battery from dealer is an easy fix. You got your money's worth out of the original ;)
tditom, you're so smart! called my mechanic this a.m. to pass on your thoughts (which is like telling my obstetrician husband how to do a hysterectomy, i know) and he had just figured that out. incidentally, he says my car has no clear line and he had to rig something to test the air leak.

so i'll be on the road again soon, it seems.

thanks to all!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
If it's still in the shop, you might have him put in a clear section of fuel line. That's a great way to instantly spot air leaks.

gailz

TDI
03 silver Jetta wagon
If it's still in the shop, you might have him put in a clear section of fuel line. That's a great way to instantly spot air leaks.
good idea. he said that the nonclear line was original and he coudn't find the right clear part so he rigged something up to test. i'm wondering why i have the only 2003 without that clear hose. i accused the local vw dealer of a switcheroo but he said they were innocent. hmm. i''m more skeptical.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
good idea. he said that the nonclear line was original and he coudn't find the right clear part so he rigged something up to test. i'm wondering why i have the only 2003 without that clear hose. i accused the local vw dealer of a switcheroo but he said they were innocent. hmm. i''m more skeptical.
My '03 has one clear hose between the fuel filter and IP. The 'in' line to the filter is black. The clear hose is like a magic window to your fuel. Good luck!

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
tditom, you're so smart! called my mechanic this a.m. to pass on your thoughts (which is like telling my obstetrician husband how to do a hysterectomy, i know) and he had just figured that out. incidentally, he says my car has no clear line and he had to rig something to test the air leak.
so i'll be on the road again soon, it seems.
thanks to all!
I guess my advice was chopped liver again. I'm ready to give up. :confused: