stick with G52 in your tranny - here's why...

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The new stuff is about the same viscosity as a synthetic ATF, ie it's an SAE 20wt oil.

TS

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
Just changed the tranny oil in the '01 Golf after 237K miles. After researching here and at a few dealers, I found that the OE fluid was G-052-726-A2 and its replacement is G-060-726-A2, which I used. The old oil was dark honey - the new oil is almost clear, and thinner than the old oil. I didn't have a problem shifting before, but it feels smoother now. In 8 years I'll change it again..

Ray

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
raybo said:
Just changed the tranny oil in the '01 Golf after 237K miles. After researching here and at a few dealers, I found that the OE fluid was G-052-726-A2 and its replacement is G-060-726-A2, which I used. The old oil was dark honey - the new oil is almost clear, and thinner than the old oil. I didn't have a problem shifting before, but it feels smoother now. In 8 years I'll change it again..

Ray
@ 128,000 miles, my data is tracking with yours. I am planning to change it out @ 200,000 miles, but given your results, I might reconsider @ 250,000 miles. So far,... no issues. Since the the mandatory fuel switch (CA LSD @ 140 ppm with a fair % of 49 state LSD 500 ppm) to (CA) ULSD 15 ppm with normal del of between 5-7 ppm) app Oct 2006, I have been running 25,000 miles OCI's. Mobil One 5w40, aka Delvac One 5w40.

Last edited:

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
ruking -

Most of my miles are in 5th, so the tranny gets very little wear. I'm still on the original brakes except for rear pads. If I were shifting more, I'd have changed it at 125K.

I'm still doing 10K oil changes. I hope to get new nozzles at some point, and will then possibly try to go with 15K changes.

Ray

Ray

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Contrary to popular opinion, the presence of a very thin gear oil is geared more toward raising the CAFE average than in providing extended service from the transaxle. [pun intended]

As for me, I'm switching to a slightly thicker GL-5 lube from Redline, the next time I change any out.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Powder Hound said:
Contrary to popular opinion, the presence of a very thin gear oil is geared more toward raising the CAFE average than in providing extended service from the transaxle. [pun intended]

As for me, I'm switching to a slightly thicker GL-5 lube from Redline, the next time I change any out.
The last couple of months I've been using MT-90, thicker than necessary but once it's warm I really notice how nice it shifts. My old VW fluid had totally bit the dust at 125K / 9 years. I drove to the Keys and when I got there, I had a little more than "notchiness"... I had to try several times to get into first gear (at a stop!) before I got to colder weather.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Powder Hound said:

Forget what continent/country VWs and their OEM fluids come from? :D

jimbull34

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.9
Has anyone ventured into adjusting the trans via the VAG COM? I have a 2001 Jetta 4 speed auto and it has a problem shifting between 2/3 gear. It actually feels like the engine is burping, stalling what ever, and then goes hard into gear. Anyone have this problem? or had? Any answers? thanks

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
raybo said:
ruking -

Most of my miles are in 5th, so the tranny gets very little wear. I'm still on the original brakes except for rear pads. If I were shifting more, I'd have changed it at 125K.

I'm still doing 10K oil changes. I hope to get new nozzles at some point, and will then possibly try to go with 15K changes.

Ray

Ray
Thanks for more history. Like yours, most of the miles are also predominately on the highway. (aka 5th gear, if I had to put a ratio, 85-95% H ) It is VERY encouraging to hear you still run original brake rotors/pads in front and Original rotors and 2nd pad set @ rears & @ 243k miles !!!!???. Since my post, I am now at 132 k and my swag after a visual and measurement of the F/R rotors/pads is still @ 260,000 min, again front & rear.

Last edited:

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I just changed my transmission fluid for the first time .. yeah .. after 327000km. Old stuff actually looked pretty good still, was the original fill G50. Honey-like colour but slightly caramel coloured, not very dark at all though.

Anyway, what I had it replaced with is this stuff:
FUCHS TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 (http://www.fuchs-europe.de/gear-oils-cars.html)

Which Fuchs recommends for these specs, among others:
VW 501 50 (G 005 000 05/G 005 000/G 005 000 20/G 052 911 A1/A2)

So the old G50 I believe is the G 005 000.

Does this seem like a good choice for a fluid? It feels quite smooth, though not actually that much different than the old fluid - just slightly smoother. I haven't been able to see what it's like if the car is sitting in -20 C for a while yet, and doubt that will happen until next winter now.

Anyone else used this one? I saw mention of it a couple pages back but no one seems to have used it from what I can tell.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
So with all the imput what do I use in a 2006 stick or a 2001 stick. Seems so many choices as to what to use and what not. What is the latest PN from VW to use? Redline sounds good and their site says the MT90 for a VW and not the MTL correct?

manual_tranny

TDI
2footbraker said:
I would use either one. It's not rocket science.
I can't resist posting... technically rocket science is pretty reliant on fluid dynamics, therefore, the study of movement of fluids in a transmission is a lot like rocket science... :D Sorry about that. I know what you meant and I agree. ;)

To FXDL, I have read that the most obsessive people are using a mix of Redline MT-90 and MTL. I'm using straight MT-90 which is too thick for my tastes in the middle of winter. Before next winter I plan on draining it, mixing it, and re-filling. I'll use whatever is left and mix that up with another redline trans. fluid to put in any of my other vehicles.

I have a lot of vehicles, but I rarely talk about, drive, or insure the ones with automatic transmissions...

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
So is syncromesh OK to use? I can buy it locally, but a 75W-90 GL-4 is nearly impossible.

Here is another wrench thrown into the works. Walmart's brand oil(supertech) now lists all their GL-5 gear oil as yellow metal safe. They have a 75W-90 semi-synthetic gear lube on the shelf. I was on the fence of trying it.

I cannot any other GL-5 gear oils that state that they are yellow metal safe.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
FXDL said:
So with all the imput what do I use in a 2006 stick or a 2001 stick. Seems so many choices as to what to use and what not. What is the latest PN from VW to use? Redline sounds good and their site says the MT90 for a VW and not the MTL correct?
In my experience: use the OEM G060 or G070 fluids. Both gave far better shifts than any Red Line in both cars.

If you want to stick with Red Line, use MTL. MT-90 is too thick and a mix of MT-90 & MTL 'felt' too thick also.

G060 really made the NB feel peppier after the MTL/MT-90. G070 did the same for my Golf after having straight MTL in the transmission. FWIW, this was over many months & miles in the great state of Chicago, enduring temperatures from -28C up to 41C and all in between.

Be sure to realign the shifter linkage while you're at it. That alone can make a big difference in shift quality.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
drained the Motul Gear 300 yesterday after 100K . Switched to LubroMolly 75W-90 GL5 :eek: Tranny seemed quieter today , same shifting as before.
the Motul must have thinned out a bit

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
turbocharged798 said:
So is syncromesh OK to use? I can buy it locally, but a 75W-90 GL-4 is nearly impossible.

Here is another wrench thrown into the works. Walmart's brand oil(supertech) now lists all their GL-5 gear oil as yellow metal safe. They have a 75W-90 semi-synthetic gear lube on the shelf. I was on the fence of trying it.

I cannot any other GL-5 gear oils that state that they are yellow metal safe.
you will be hard pressed to find any gear oils that are not yellow metal safe. They use on new additives reduces the corrosion inflicted on those metals.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Well, I put the syncromesh in my trans yesterday. When I was pouring it out, I wasn't too happy with how thin it was. It was almost like ATF.

But after a took a drive with it in the trans, that all changed. It shifts sooo much better now. First is much easier to get into and all the gears click in much faster.

I bought the penszoil syncromesh at Autozone for $7 a quart. It was cheap enough so I could always drain it out and put in something thicker if I wanted to. But I am liking it so far.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Can someone summarize for me?...I don't know the major difference (base stock, additives, etc) between GL4, GL5, synchromesh, Redline MT's, and the VW fluids. Is mixing an of these a big no-no? (I'm suspecting the answer is 'yes'.)

I'm sure I could dig up much of this with the search function, and perhaps much of it is here in these 32 pages...but I'm too busy/lazy at the moment.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Redline gear oil has been pretty good for business. I get 1-2 transmissions a month with burnt up syncros due to redline oil being too slippery. Please keep using it!

I recommed the factory stuff ro Motul gear 300.

manual_tranny

TDI
Scott_DeWitt said:
Redline gear oil has been pretty good for business. I get 1-2 transmissions a month with burnt up syncros due to redline oil being too slippery. Please keep using it!

Oops! I was not aware... :eek: looks like it's time for an early fluid change...

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Scott_DeWitt said:

my 020 FN tranny has been holding up just fine in my rocco since 1998 with Redline in it

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Syncromesh is amazing. It was originally used as a fix for Corvettes where some of the flimsy syncros were causing gear chipping with ATF. A friend of mine got a BMW M5 6 speed transmission, it shifted rough with the OEM fluid. Gave him some syncromesh to top up, not even a full change and he was amazed.. he thought he needed to rebuild the trans!

He was so convinced that he put it in his 86 635 csi and that too started shifting great!

It works great in cold weather too. I had more notchiness with the OEM factory fluid than syncromesh, even though the OEM fluid came out thin as water, LOL.

For the price, I'd rather change it 2x as often than spend 2x more for the OEM fluid which isn't that special, and IMHO is too thin even though it pretends to be a 90.