2002 Jetta no start

sleeperdub

TDI
2002 Jetta
I bought this car back in November and the first time I drove towards home it died. I was going up hill and acted like I lost boost. I pulled over and car wasnt running wel and then it stalled. Hasnt restarted since. Found out low pressure side of pump went out. Replaced injection pump with a fresh reman from a local trusted shop. Installed new timing belt and water pump for good measure at same time. Got it all together and still no start. Checked everything Ive done many times and all marks dead on. Yes I do have cam lock and injection pump locking tools. Need some help. Lost my patience with this car.

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
Have you primed the fuel system and gotten all the air out all the way to injecrors?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I also installed a freshly rebuilt IP during a TB job. I used a MityVac to pull fuel
all the way through to the injectors and she started right up.;)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
First off, do you have a clear fuel line that you can observe fuel movement going from the filter to the input nipple of the pump?

You might try to pull the glow plugs out and crank the engine to see if fuel is making it into the cylinders. It is much easier on the starter and battery not having to battle with the compression. No need to compress the air until you have fuel in the cylinders.

IQ is a sensitive adjustment that, unless the shop had the equipment to accurately set IQ on the bench or installed the pump on an engine and ran it, may have wound up cutting the fuel back too far...i.e, QA slid too far toward the pulley side of the engine.

Last edited:

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Lets go back a bit- how did you determine that the low pressure side of the pump went bad?

Also, did you check the timing marks before you took it apart? The reason that I ask is if the cam pulley slipped while the engine was running it will exhibit those symptoms and it will not run again.

If all of the above was good, then you may have a blockage in the exhaust. Try to pull the downpipe off the turbo and see if it will run...

-Rich

cwatson9510

TDI
02 Jetta
Is it getting fuel for sure? Once my TDI turned off while I was driving and it ended up being a loose wire going to my N109 valve (fuel cutoff) on the injection pump.