Monsoon speaker fix (might be blown)

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI
Hey guys, me again.

I have a 2004 VW GLS TDI @ roughly 140,000 miles.

I think one or more of my speakers might be blown.

Initially I thought the sub-woofer had gone, but it seems the B5.5 might not even have one!

You see I had lent my car out and my friend who then subsequently played some dubstep (not my choice but rather bass heavy) and turned the knob for the bass almost completely to the full position. I was a passenger during this time and had fallen asleep while the music was playing - indicating I was either very tired/volume wasn't high enough. Nevertheless it very well might have done something as the sound wasn't the same afterwards, it almost felt as the bass was lacking in any music played. Keep in mind that when music is played it's almost always through a cassette adapter and iPhone/iPod. I never mess with the equalizer nor do I turn the volume over 25%.

I decided to get it checked out...

My local shop (Sound Check) wouldn't even touch it - they said it was all stock and needed the VW computer to check it. He recommended me to Best Buy or the dealership to check it out.

Turns out Best Buy are charging approximately $60-80 per hour to diagnose the issue and said it could cost upwards of a $180 to find out the problem! (They mentioned something about connecting it to the amplifier and progressing from there).

Can I diagnose them/fix them myself? I do have access to a VCDS module and a volt meter. I just have no idea what to do to pin point the problem nor do I know what readings I should be getting for the speakers.

Help me!

:)

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
rear speaker B5.5 Passat

Hi I also have a 2005 Passat with no sound from the rear speakers. In my trunk on the drivers side is a compartment with wires connector but no box. I thought it was for the CD changer. I have the Moonsoon radio. Wrong spelling.
I'll watch for help on this link. Thanks for the help.
Lloyd

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
Lloydw, that is for the cd-changer.

easy way to check for a blown speaker is cycle through the 4 corners using the controls on the radio. Balance and Fade.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
its really not surprising for oem paper coned speakers to fail after 8 years. When you replace them, just don't install anything with paper cones.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
These things are also known for poor wiring connectors. There have been a few threads here on that, especially re: rear speakers. You can try cleaning the upper connectors in the rear door wiring boots using contact cleaner and a couple disconnect/reconnect cycles and see if that helps. But also could definitely be blown speakers for reasons thundershorts gives.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Slightly off topic, but my '01 with a Monsoon has very little bass in it compared to my '02 with the double-din system. The monsoon sounds weak unless I put the fader to -3 (towards the rear) and even then there doesn't seem to be much bass.

On topic: Can the monsoon speakers be bad, even though there is good (albeit Bass-less) sound coming out?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
10 and 11yo oem paper coned speakers are indeed suspect.

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Thanks Speed for your reply. I think I found a used CD player from a salvage yard for $75.00 I think it's 6 CD changer. is it worth it if it works, do I need it for the rear speaker to work? thanks Lloyd

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned and loved a 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon - Stonehenge Grey and Unchained!
There have also been reports of one channel of the Monsoon amp failing, there's a post here somewhere about that...

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Thanks Speed for your reply. I think I found a used CD player from a salvage yard for $75.00 I think it's 6 CD changer. is it worth it if it works, do I need it for the rear speaker to work? thanks Lloyd
I have a spare changer i will sell for $50 shipped

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
IIRC the monsoon speakers have a plastic cone. It is the rubber surround that can break from over extensionto and results in no bass.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
the cd changer is strictly optional. I have the open slot in my truck still, i use it for carrying around my bottle of power service in the winter time