Winter Time Battery Maintenance

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
OK folks....
In the past 3 days I've had 4 calls about VW batteries.
First, let me say this....."The VW OEM Battery is a good unit"....IF you (The owner) perform the simple basics of battery preventative maintenance.
Here as a few "Action Items" that you need to do. You too can get consistent and reliable service from your battery.

1. The OEM battery is NOT Maintenance free. You need to remove the "plastic tape" that is covering the cell caps.

2. Buy a gal of distilled water (no not use regular tap water in your automotive battery).

3. Twice a year you should check each cell and add distilled water (if needed) to top the electrolite level up to the correct amount (never over-fill the battery).

4. Every two yrs ( I do mine when I flush my brake system) remove the battery and clean the cable posts (both ends) as well as the ground points.

5. I recommend that the Bi-annual battery care be done in May & Oct. This way your battery is checked and ready for the temp extreams of summer & winter.

Here is how to test your battery:

Specific Gravity Test This test is performed with a hydrometer, which is the most accurate hand held tool for determining the state of charge of a lead acid battery.
Draw electrolyte into the hydrometer a few times so that the float reaches the same temperature as the electrolyte. This will increase the accuracy of your readings.

Hold the hydrometer vertically so that the float is free and does not touch the inner walls of the barrel.

Hold the hydrometer so that the liquid is level in the barrel and at eye level.

When you draw the electrolyte, make sure that the hydrometer is full.

Check each individual battery cell. If the specific gravity varies more than .050 or "50 points" among the cells while the battery is at a 75% state of charge or above, then the battery is bad and should be replaced. The cells that have a specific gravity of 50 points less than the highest cell are bad cells. A hydrometer reading of 1.265 or greater at 80°F indicates a full charge for Interstate batteries. To determine the battery's state of charge, compare the hydrometer reading to the Specific Gravity Chart.

To get the most accurate hydrometer reading, you should adjust your hydrometer reading according to the temperature. If the electrolyte temperature is ABOVE 80°F , ADD .004 (called "four points") to the hydrometer reading for each 10 degrees above 80°F. If the electrolyte temperature is BELOW 80°F, SUBTRACT four points from the hydrometer reading for each 10 degrees below 80°F.

Specific Gravity VS. State of Charge
1.265 100%
1.225 75%
1.190 50%
1.155 25%
1.120 0%

I have a 99 (A-4)Golf with the origanial OEM battery. This battery still holds a strong charge, each cell specific gravity is between 1.22 - 1.24

So, Go buy one of those wire battery cleaners...some distilled water...and a small automatic battery charger..or, one of those solar panels will also do a nice job if you don't have the means to charge your own battery..

The best thig you can do is.....check the electrolite level..... at least twice a year.

orenero

Veteran Member
TDI
DIESEL
When doing this type of maitenance do you need a vag-com or anything like that to reset codes when taking out the battery? Does the car and electronics need to be reset in anyway like alarm and things of that nature?

steve f tdi

TDI
Great information!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for sharing those tips. I will check mine when i do my next service. I was always under the assumption our batteries were maintenance free. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Howdy "Orenero"
No you will not need Vag-Com to perfrom this maintenance. You asked about the radio security code.
The answer is: It depends. It depends if you have an A-3 radio...On this model year serveral of the radios requier the security code to be reset when ever the batery is disconnected. Not all A-3's ....but several.
If you have an A-4 ...then you'll be just fine....the ECU will check the radio and verifi it automatically.
So, on the A-3's...no matter what...its safer to have the code handy BEFORE you disconnect the battery.

One other "Tip"....if you connect a battery charger...just to be safe...I recommend that you disconnect the ground from the battery post befor you connect the charger.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
Herm TDI said: OK folks....
In the past 3 days I've had 4 calls about VW batteries.
(snip)
Here is how to test your battery:

Specific Gravity Test This test is performed with a hydrometer, which is the most accurate hand held tool for determining the state of charge of a lead acid battery.
Draw electrolyte into the hydrometer a few times so that the float reaches the same temperature as the electrolyte. This will increase the accuracy of your readings.
(Snip)

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Herm, your info here is great. There is only one thing that I think is important - especially if inexperienced owners may read this and try to follow it. That's to always wear some kind of eye protection when you're doing this. Battery service is a pretty safe operation -- as far as industrial operations go -- but *one little tiny mistake* could permanently take out an eye. For a couple of bucks at Wally World, pick up a pair of goggles.

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
replacement with a gel packed optima red top and you don't have to put any distilled water at all. there is no opening in the battery. while there also replaced the red postive battery wire with a heavier one. my oem is still going strong 99.5 gole and i am waiting to replace with optima.

edpipeline

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf Satin Silver
MrGutWrench, very good point. Also, be sure to get the safety goggles for chemical splash protection (not the ones specified for impact protection only).

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
OK, I really do want to top up water in my battery, because the magic eye on top is colourless, and I noticed that ABS light started to come on at every startup.

How do I get at the battery cells to top them up with distilled water? It seems not possible to gain any access to the internals of my battery.

Mk IV VW chassis, Skoda Octavia TDI 2002, 70Ah battery.

BTW, this battery went through some heavy charge/discharge cycles, so I am not surprised that it is missing a lot of water after just 1 year.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
I figured that out myself, pull the sticker and add water...
All batteries I've seen to date were either 0-maintenance or had a cover over cell caps...

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
HermTDI: Excellent post. I also service the battery in April and October.

I always put dielectric grease on the battery posts to minimize corrosion on the terminals.

Harry.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
bump for a Herm classic just in time to get ready for winter. i bought a cheapo walmart hydrometer and found i have one bad cell (#2 from the left) on an 02 golf, 60k miles and 40 month old battery. all the other cells were 100%, i did a trickle charge and planning on testing again this evening.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Maintaining your Maintenance-Free Battery

My original (VARTA/Mexico/Nov.1999) maintenance-free battery:

These newest batteries are completely sealed; Caps cannot be removed. The chemistry is a little different in these batteries so water depletion is minimized (I have been told).

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Drivbiwire had a great post with great pictures for this-but unfortunately the pictures don't display/work anymore......but you can at least read it for more info.....
I have the pictures. That is the only post that I saved before the picture server got moved. I have been meaning to make a new one in PDF file but I never got around to do it. (Actually there is a lot of things that I haven't got around to do when I have been meaning to do.)

edit to say that I found the pictures and added to Drivbiwire's post.

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Just to let everyone know, the water that comes out of a dehumidifier is distilled... So if you need to take a run to the store to pick up some distilled water, you might allready have some at the house (I would probably pour it through a coffee filter to get any particle's out before filling up your battery)

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Dang. I justed bought the battery tester and peeled off the plastic and found that 4 cells were VERY low and filled it up with Polland Springs Distilled water (how snobby of my car). Yet even after a day driving around hopefully charging the battery, it is still reading unacceptable in all but one of the cells.

ugh. am I cooked? could a recharge help? but isn't that that the car is doing when I am running it?

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Herm TDI said:
OK folks....
4. Every two yrs ( I do mine when I flush my brake system) remove the battery and clean the cable posts (both ends) as well as the ground points.
:D Done today!

Under Battery Tray Prior to cleaning

Under Battery Tray

Block Ground Location and Prior to Cleaning

Block Ground dirty

Block ground

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Bump for the coming winter. I just peeled off the stickers on my 2006 MkIV Golf's Varta battery (identical to the first of dieseldorf's pictures), topped up the cells with distilled water and left it on the 1.5 amp battery minder for a few nights in a row. Easy to do, painless (wear gloves) and quick maintenance.

scurvy

VWTDIrookie

TDI
2003 Jetta Silver, '06 F250 P.S.
Battery changes don't always go so peachy. I just changed mine yesterday and I had to reteach the driver side window for one-touch to be operational. My key fob now does not open the other doors when I push the unlock twice (driver door ok). My radio did come out alright though, I thought that was all I had to worry about.:(

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
My oem maintenance free battery, ala Dieseldorf's first two pics, just died one day after a two hour highway trip at app the 33rd mo. Lucky for me it was parked in the garage and have a second car! It was maintained per the posted instructions. I even use the Drivibiwire's recommended .99 cent balled tester! The bottom line is the charging system does NOT return the battery up to the 80% level or above level!!! Nor indeed was it designed to do that!

I got the replacement (at the 33rd mo) at the local VW dealer and it is REALLY the maintenance free one ala the third pic! :) :( Shortly there after, I reasoned if the last part of the first paragraph is true: it would only be a matter of time before the second battery suffered the same fate . I researched the trickle charger products and decided on a $45. "Battery Tender". I do anywhere from a weekly to monthly recharge hook up. I am at the 55th/56th mo of ownership! Still seems to start just fine!

Last edited:

biodemon1956

TDI
none...yet
tdi369 mentioned the Optima redtop battery. I have one of those in my Volvo 240 and love it. Great battery. But the shape of the battery in my '04 Jetta GLS wagon is tall and narrow. I'm not confident at all that the Optima will work. From what I can tell at the Optima website, they make certain selected size batteries and if none will fit in your particular car, then you're just SOL. Can anyone verify if this is correct?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
biodemon1956 said:
tdi369 mentioned the Optima redtop battery. I have one of those in my Volvo 240 and love it. Great battery. But the shape of the battery in my '04 Jetta GLS wagon is tall and narrow. I'm not confident at all that the Optima will work. From what I can tell at the Optima website, they make certain selected size batteries and if none will fit in your particular car, then you're just SOL. Can anyone verify if this is correct?
You might wish to search or google to find out why Optima is NOT a good choice nor match for our TDI's. In addition folks on the Z06 web site have had a lot of issues with Red Top and Yellow Top's. :(

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
mickyTDI said:
Does high mileage shorten a battery's life? More overall vibration and more charging which exposes the batteries to more internal heat?
DUnno.:(

I have the oem and 200,000 miles on it in 5 years of ownership. Car stops and restarts sometimes 10 to 20 times a day depending where my appoints are grouped.

BrianCT

biodemon1956

TDI
none...yet
Need to correct my earlier post in this thread. I actually have an *orange* top Optima battery in my Volvo 240. Orange tops are for most European (and Japanese?) cars that have reversed polarity at the posts.

However, I stand by my claim that its been a great battery for me. I don't know why one of those wouldn't be a good match for my TDI, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another for my Volvo. Best money I ever spent on a car battery.

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Took the caps off my 4 and a half year old OEM battery. Water levels perfect but i have noticed the tops of the plates a beige substance coating the plates and little bits of the stuff floating around the plates. What is that? The battery has good power in it.