replacement airbag controller?

PhilipM

Veteran Member
My 2000 TDI Jetta has the dubious airbag controller. I'm wondering what the replacement unit costs before I scan it with VAG-COM and possibly ruin it.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Check www.car-part.com and you will find them for between $100-300.
I want to change mine to a 2002 module so that I can scan it myself without worrying about locking my 2000 module.
Anyone know if they can be swapped?
And if they can be swapped, what is the procedure to recode the new module to talk to the ECU?

Thanks.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
They can be swapped, but be double-careful.

1) There are a zillion "flavors" (really called "indexes" or "color codes") of these controllers. The "index" determines the exact configuration of restraints and sensors in your particular car. The replacement module MUST have the same (or a compatible) index. If the module is uses and has the same (or a compatible) index, then it should not need any coding.

2) A used airbag controller from a 2002 car has likely been in an accident and quite possibly deployed some of the restraints. In that case, it will have a "Crash Data Stored" DTC, which (just like the 65535 DTC) cannot be cleared!

-Uwe-

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ok, so If I get a module that has been involved in an accident, then the airbag dash light is permanent? Or will the DTC just remain stored, but the light can be extinguished?

I have a 2000 module that has been involved in an accident, but I want to replace it with a 2002 module so I can clear future lights if they arise. I don't mind if it stores a 'crash data stored'. I'm not trying to hide anything, I just want to be able to turn off the light.

Thanks.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Airbag controllers have electro-mechanical devices in them that, once they've seen the g-forces necessary to deploy restraints, should not be trusted to work properly again. This is why "Crash Data Stored" cannot be cleared. It's also why VW's repair manuals require any control module with that code to be replaced with a new one.

Do your self a favor, if you want to be sure that your airbags will deploy properly in an accident, and perhaps more important, want to be sure that they do not deploy except in an accident, install a control module that has not been in a crash!

This is one area where you do NOT want to try to save a few bucks. I'd rather have no airbag controller at all than one that has "Crash Data Stored" with live bags in front of me!

-Uwe-

mario_renato

Veteran Member
Ok... recently I had an accident... not too big.. just ran over some poles...

More photos

Scanning the airbag control unit, this came out

Control Module Part Number: 1J0 909 609
Component and/or Version: A AIRBAG VW3 SG 0002
Software Coding: 00065
Work Shop Code: WSC 01316

6 Faults Found:

00654 - Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter: Driver Side (N153)
29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N199)
32-00 - Resistance too High

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N199)
29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent

00654 - Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter: Driver Side (N153)
32-00 - Resistance too High

00532 - Supply Voltage B+
07-10 - Signal to Low - Intermittent

01226 - Crash Data Stored for Side Airbag: Driver Side
35-00 - -

Then I went to ELSA (Vw Workshop Manuals), and it states there, that it's only necessary to replace the control unit, on the 3rd incident...

01226 Crash data side airbag DS stored -

Erase fault memory or renew control unit If side airbag has been triggered, you can erase the message "Crash data side airbag DS stored" twice by erasing fault memory. After the side airbag has been triggered for the 3rd time, the fault "Control unit defective" will be registered, and the control unit must be renewed. -

Renew airbag unit and all damaged components

But, I can't clear the crash data stored error... all errors clear ok, except that one.. I still havent installed the airbag and seat belt.. so i don't know if the light will clear when I do...

Anyone been in this situation?

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
So what your saying is that you have 6 fault codes the repair manuael says to replace the controller if 3 are present your airbags deployed and you are trying to save money and not replace the controller even tho the manuael says after 3 codes replace controller. I think i am reading this post right. The crash error code might be another way to prevent fraud. If you could clear that code unless the accident gets reported correctly it would be very easy to sell the car and never mention it was in a accident. I might be totally wrong on this but i believe that code is there to prevent fraud It might also be a presistant code to force replacement of controller because of the gforce sensor that might fail if used more then once. This is all speculation on my part.

mario_renato

Veteran Member
no... your reading wrong...

What ELSA (vw oficial service manual) says, is... After THREE (3) !!CRASHES!! or 3 airbag events, you need to replace the controller... this was the first one... and hope, the last

in the first 2, you can just clear the codes...

I've been talking to other people, and the "01226 Crash data side airbag DS stored - " can only be cleared when both th seat belt and side airbag have been replaced. (Or you could just place resistances in their places... no one would tell....
)

mario_renato

Veteran Member
Just to clear..

I was able to clear the CRASH DATA STORED, after replacing the side acceleration sensor, that's placed under the seat..

There was NOT NEED to replace the airbag ecu

graphco

TDI
GOLF V
mario_renato said:
Just to clear..

I was able to clear the CRASH DATA STORED, after replacing the side acceleration sensor, that's placed under the seat..

Hi Renato

You seem to be expert in the AIRBAG replacement.

What do you think about this issue?

:confused:

Address 15: Airbags
Part No: 1K0 909 605 D
Component: 01 AIRBAG VW8 022 0600
Coding: 0012337
Shop #: WSC 01371
4 Faults Found
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
00654 - Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter; Driver Side (N153)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
00655 - Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter; Passenger Side (N154)
01588 - Igniter for Head-Airbag; Drivers Side (N251)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes
Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0021121
Shop #: WSC 01287
1 Fault Found
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 17: Instruments
Part No: 1K0 920 861 B
Component: KOMBIINSTRUMENT VDD 0814
Coding: 0007103
Shop #: WSC 00001
1 Fault Found
00779 - Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17)------

Obrigado

penclnck

mario_renato said:
Just to clear..

Now that is odd, I've had cars from body shops that would replace seatbelts, bags and sensors since there would be DTCs in the ACM but they couldn't clear out the Crash Data Stored DTC. I can't think of any time I've been able to clear out that fault.

Could there be different versions of firmware based on what country a car is sold in that would allow some banged up cars to have said fault cleared and other countries not?

mario_renato

Veteran Member
don't know..

Your ELSA is the same as the european, right?

01226 Crash data side airbag DS stored -

Erase fault memory or renew control unit If side airbag has been triggered, you can erase the message "Crash data side airbag DS stored" twice by erasing fault memory. After the side airbag has been triggered for the 3rd time, the fault "Control unit defective" will be registered, and the control unit must be renewed. -

Renew airbag unit and all damaged components
I replaced this
1J0909606 D

And I could clear the code, of course, after replacing the airbag and the seat belt..

mario_renato

Veteran Member
they said it before.. you don't look like you know much about this..

Your errors don't look like they came from a crash.. You don't have any crash data stored..

looks like... i don't know.. bad ground somewere in the electrics, or something else..

take it to VW, and let them sort it out..

graphco

TDI
GOLF V
Hi Mario Renato
Please explain to me how you ERASE the Crash data side airbag DS stored"

This can help to solve my problem !

Thanks

mario_renato

Veteran Member
allready did.. in my case..

I don't know what happened in your case, so I don't know how to help "your case"

What happened to the car?

mario_renato

Veteran Member
forget it.. you don't even have a crash data stored error in your airbag module..

take the car to someone that knows what they are doing