Crashed my Jetta Wagon :[ Need advice about parting or scrapping

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
If you do part it out, make sure to contact your local salvage yard to verify what they will do. The one I lurk at will only pay for a complete car - if it has missing parts engine/wheels/etc they will take it but not pay any $$$.

Also need to consider getting it to the yard. I have AAA so can get it towed there for free. Many yards will tow for "free" but if you are sending them a shell they might charge for that also.

I'd still part it out tho... too many good parts that fellow TDI'ers could use.

Edit: BTW - I am a few weeks into running a BEW 5 speed in my ALH DD and really like it. That small difference in 5th gear is there... but makes me want a real 5th gear upgrade even worse. Oh well.

Last edited:

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
I get that. what do you think is a fair asking price?
$3-400 if it was easy to get to my house. In other words, if that car was in my driveway one day and I was out $400 plus 3 hours of going to get it, I'd fix it up.
There are lots of potential donor vehicles available these days for the body parts at junk yards, but by the time you pull off everything you need, the cost adds up. Then some of the plastic stuff should be replaced with new parts.

97oneton

TDI
04 Jetta wagon
When I sold my daughter's E30 convertible years back, I told the buyer it came with a same year, light front hit, parts car. He didn't want it. I tried to sell it whole and best offer was $200 from the scrappers. I found a good E30 web site and started selling parts. Believe it or not, 3 years later I had $4500 for parts! At least $600 of that went to shipping, and I bought a plasma cutter to get some body parts off. If you want to really learn about a car, take one apart, I mean completely apart! Certainly not for everyone but I had the space and time. I like to think I kept a few E30s on the road. I still have a shelf unit full of odds and ends. This spring I think I will have a clearance sale!