Inconsistent Idle

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
My '03 Jetta wagon has developed an inconsistent idle. usually it settles in at about 950 RPM but it will sometimes idle at 1100 RPM.

What magical box controls idle speed?

I have had a P0128 code for a long time but no change in running temperature and no change in mpg fuel consumption. Bought a coolant temp sensor to swap but have yet to get to it. The idle issue is a more recent development.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

JohnD

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The magical box is the Injection Pump, but usually the Quantity Adjuster to be specific. If the QA is sticky it could cause erratic idle; I have never heard of the temperature sensor causing erratic idle before, but that really doesn't mean anything...
It certainly would not hurt to change the faulty sensor before delving into anything else.

Shoveltrev

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle deceased, 2003 jetta . 2002 jetta , 2012 sportwagon
scan it . the temp sensor on the ecm side is reading too low . these will idle up when the sensor reads below a certain temp. seen it first hand on my own alh. also would glow the plugs for 8 to 10 seconds on an 80 degree day lol

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Swapped out the CTS. Idle back to normal and after a few cycles the CEL even stopped "coding" me. Glad it was not something more complicated!
Thanks.
John