My Audi A4 TDI Quattro daily driver build

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Hi, I would like to talk about my car's TDI engine built for performance. I swapped a TDI ALH into a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro and modified it. But now, I'm making a big refresh of all the mechanic of my car. Removed old engine, changing parts that need to be changed, re-fit custom parts to fit better or make it cleaner under the hood...

My CURRENT build (Now it is not running because I already removed the engine from the car, but I ran this build for 60k miles) :

-TDI ALH with stock internals, stock head, and ARP head studs.
-11mm OEM Bosch fuel pump
-PP764 Stage 2 nozzles, injectors calibrated at Stage 1 (less smoke, optimal fuel economy) by DBW
-BEW in-tank primary electric pump
-GTB1756VK at 30PSI
-PD150 intake
-FMIC setup (really laggy, 20 feet of 2inches piping)
-Custom chip
-4 BAR map sensor
-PYRO + boost gauge
-6 pucks ceramic Bully clutch kit with single mass flywheel.

I'm wondering what to change in this build to make it more powerful. Keep in mind that it's a daily Drive, so I want something that is reliable, less smoke as possible, and having the best fuel economy as I can under light loads (economy are really important since I want to make impressive numbers for a Quattro car, with the best power as I can.

The old build described above was too much laggy and lacks power. It also lacks of fueling past 3500RPM, but even in low RPM, power and torque was low and the response was laggy. I'm sure that the lag was caused by too much 90 degree angles on intercooler piping and too long intercooler piping. The lacks of power occured after 2-3 weeks driving with the new setup. At the beginning, even with a chip that was not adjusted, even if the turbo was only at 26psi, even without the FMIC setup and PD150 intake, and even without the Bosio nozzles (I had chinese 6 holes .205 nozzles at the beginning), the car was REALLY impressive, torquey and powerful. After two weeks, the car seemed to lack power. After removing the cylinder head from the engine, I have seem there is no honing marks at all on the cylinders, the cylinders were glazed, there were visual (but not feel with my fingers) vertical marks on the cylinders and the top of the cylinders. The engine took also a quart of oil every 1000-1500miles, even when trying 10W60oil, the oil consumption dropped only at 1 quart every 2000-2500 miles. This oil consumption was what was registered just before removing the head. At the beginning of the setup I removed the head and there was clearly honed marks on the cylinders. The engine had 120k miles at this points. 60k miles later, no cylinders honing marks at all! 430psi compression on all cylinders, but lacks power.

So I repeat was I unliked on my oil setup :
Lacks power at all RPMS, lacks of fueling a bit, but only past 3500RPM, before that the fueling is okay. Really laggy too. High oil consumption.

Now, I will describe you what I'm expecting from the setup :

1-Keep the fuel mileage as high as possible to make impressive numbers for a Quattro car.
2-Reduce smoke output as best as possible, best possible atomisation.
3-I want to have the best HP and torque as possible, but the TORQUE numbers are really important, and low-end torque is important too. The car is heavy and what I like the most is accelerating fast in city or accelerate fast going uphill too see all the torque of the TDI. Also, I can have a lot of torque because traction is not a problem. The torque below 1900 RPM is not important because the engine vibrates too much at this point (longitudinal mounts), but I want to have the maximum peak torque at 2300RPM or less if possible. I want a really quick throttle response setup, it helps for a better feeling of the TDI engine torque.

Now, the setup that I'M building to achieve my goals :

-Custom built rebuild bottom end with PD150 crank and rods, BHW brand new pistons, all that in a ALH bottom end that was honed to 2.0Liters to accomodate BHW pistons. We machined the cylinders a bit more loose to accomodates for piston dilatation when high EGTS situation occurs, reducing the risk of piston seizing into the cylinders. Also ARP head studs like before.
-ALH cylinder head with a porting job made by frank06.
-Cam... Hesitates between stock cam or high lift cam. I don't want to machine the BHW pistons, so if I need to machine, I prefer to stay with stock cams. Keep in mind that I don't want to lose low end torque too!
-Injectors : I absolutely want to stay with the PP764 stage 2 nozzles. I want very good atomisation for reduced smoke and best fuel economy as possible. Also, these nozzles are very expensive and I will lose too much if I buy another set. It is possible that I'll send the injectors to DBW to open it at better stages but I wondering what stage I'll need for the purpose and if it will be enough
-Fuel pump : Probably will re-use my 11mm bosch. I have thinked about using a 12mm fuel pump because the atomisation will be better than the 11mm and it will compensate with the lacks of fuel of PP764 Stage 2 without sacrifying atomisation of the 7 holes nozzles. BUT I worry about the max RPM and reliability of the 12mm pump...
I will stay with my BEW in-tank primary pump to helps for fueling.
-Turbo... I hesitates to change the GTB1756VK for bigger or not. I'm worrying about the facts that going bigger turbo will make the setup more laggy and have less low-end torque. But in the same time, it will make better HP's.
-I'm building a new ingenious intercooling system to reduce lag. It will be a water-to-air intercooling system. The FMIC will be removed and the stock Audi 1.8t intercooler will be reused : It will be the water radiator at the front of the car. The water-to-air heat exchanger will be directly integrated to the intake by cutting the uppder of the intake and welding it, so I'll have one feet of piping between turbo and intake runners. An isolant intake gasket will be used to reduce heat transfert between cylinder head and intake-intercooler.

What you are thinking about that? According to all that thread, what you will change on this setup? Change turbo or stay GTB1756VK? Send injectors to DBW for opening at higher stages or replace the fuel pump by a 12mm? Is it reliable for 5k RPM or not? A Colt Stage 2 cam will help or not? Remember that I do not want to deepen the valve pockets of my brand new pistons, so if it's needed, I forget the cam.

What I'm expecting is your help because a TDI setup is complex. It's like a cake recipe, and if we change an ingredient, it is possible that we will have to change several ingredients to match. What is the compromise between torque, hp, lag, fuel economy, atomisation and smoke output, and reliability at this point? Some ideas?

Last edited:

JTT

Veteran Member
TDI
ARL
its impossible to have all at once.
a smokefree tune with a 1756Vk wont give you more than 210 reliable hp.
when searching for best efficiancy the 1756 is also not the best choice,
this type of hybrid as it definitely is, is made for good over the range spoolup but this is purchased with over the range efficiancy.
better use a 2056VL.

kind regards

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
6speed gearbox. 2200rpm at 60mph

About the turbo, we must keep in mind that if I use a bigger turbo, I'll have more air, but I will still lacks fueling at high rpms, no? If I use a GTB2056VL, make the PP764's stage 2 openned by DBW, and stay with the 11mm fuel pump, it will be the best idea? What about effiency of a bigger turbo? Is it possible to have more power with the same fuel amount since the 2056 is less restrictive in the exhaust?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm running a GTB2056VL right now, not pushing it real hard for 3 reasons - winter tires and winter make it impossible to actually use much power, current clutch won't take it all, and I'm having some strange boost issues that I'm hoping to solve once it warms up.

PP764 Stage 2 nozzles - I have never heard any positive reviews of these nozzles, only lots of smoke and melted pistons. Race 520's are good nozzles tested and loved by many. "Stage 1 flow" is just reducing the needle lift to reduce the flow. Kind of negates the purpose of big nozzles.

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
What about the Stage of calibration of my PP764 Stage 2 ?

Running them since 20k miles and never had any problem at all with these. There are not uneven spots on the piston too. The pistons are evenly black. But the problem is the lack of fueling at 3500rpm or more.

Did Stage 4 is too advanced? If DBW could read this thread, he can tell me the injection pressures calibrations in bars at Stage 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Yes, Dieseleux is my tuner that is doing my ECU custom chip. I know I made many threads about this cars, the problem is I have many things to do since I'm making an engine rebuild and refresh job of all the engine components.

Message for Dieseleux, I talked to DBW this day, he suggests me a Stage 3 flow for my injectors, I asked him the different operating pressures (pre-combustion and combustion) for each stages, and I also asked him the % above stock flow for all Stages of the PP764 7 holes injectors. For example, PP764 7 holes set at stage 1 is 173% above stock flow, R520's at stage 1 is 206% above stock flow... I'm waiting for an answer, DBW will answer me probably tomorrow.

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
I don't think the change stage on injector change enough to make a real difference on power but i wait your response from DBW.

And just for tread, the GTB1756VK took no wear, the axial play is like new, it's very good for turbo run at 30-32psi at last chip ajustement, i took care of EMP preserve the trust bearing.

Dieseleux

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
I'd switch to R520's and definitely add the Colt stage 2 cam.... Should be a big difference with a ported head too.... These 3 adjustments could add 35+ hp. Getting it to rev to 5500rpm couldn't hurt either IMO

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Joe-TDI, tou tell me that if you were me, you will go with colt stage 2 cam, but you will stay to GTB1756VK for better lag response, right?

For the flow of the injectors, I will stay with PP764 7 holes and probably go to Stage 4 or even 5 to maximize flow. It would be a good start to go from stage 1 to Stage 5, I think.

Last edited:

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Because I already bought a set of pp764 7holes this summer and Don't want to lose the investissement.

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
I have choosen the 7 holes nozzles because technically, the more holes a nozzle have, the best atomisation it will have. More holes for the same amount of fuel = more fuel volume exposed to air = better combustion. That's why I prefert the 7 holes version. If it's possible to improve slightly the flow of the nozzles going to Stage 5 calibration, I'll do that. However, it will be better than now at Stage 1 calibration. The breathing mod I'll do (porting job) will make possible to reduce the turbo PSI, reducing in the same time EGTS and restriction on the exhaust for the same power output at the pistons. The breathing mod will make me GAIN indirect performance for the same fuel flow because it reduce load on the exhaust. Portings itself will make a significant gain, even without changing the injectors flow. Changing the flow to Stage 5 will add another gain of performance. I think I will be satisfied like that.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
From what I have seen on the forums, the 7 hole pp764 have worked better than the 7 hole race520's
Nobody is recommending 7 hole Race 520 nozzles, those are also garbage.

I don't think "stage 5 flow" exists even according to DBW.

I am a believer in not tampering with needle lift for normal applications. Set the fuel request via tune.

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Even with the pump voltage at maximum, I begin to be too lean at 3500RPM and more. That's why I need a better flow. But want to stay with 7 holes nozzles. I already have these nozzles, and I'm needing a solution to keep in on the car. I have two solutions : 12mm fuel pump, but it's really dangerous for plunger seizure at high rpms. The second solutions is higher stage calibration. And yes, you can see on Kerma TDI site there are 5 different stages. They tells the stages 1, 2 and 3 are the most popular, but the stages 4 and 5 exists.

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
From DBW website... :

Stage II Power Plus 764

Available with our HotSwap™ Program!
Flow Data: +145% over Stock Flow (vs the 90hp Bosch DSLA 150P 706 nozzle)​
Supports Power Outputs from: 140-220+hp (with supporting modifications)
ULSD Rated Nozzle - 5 Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty1
Variable Staged Flow settings: 1-5 and Custom; available at no charge2
Flow Settings:
Stage I: 140-170hp (Standard Flow Setting for most cars)
Stage II: 160-190hp
Stage III: 180-210hp
Stage IV: 200-220hp
Stage V: 220+

Last edited:

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
It's FREE when your installing the nozzles. If you resend it, DBW tells me it's 15$ per nozzle +shipping

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I've worked on cars with both and can tell you right now 5 hole R520s will run cleaner and make more power than any 7 hole nozzle in the ALH's.