"507, 505, Amsoil, blah blah blah"....but what VISCOSITY?

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
An oil spec is a precise process but labeling of an oil product is not. Different countries have different laws and requirements. Some countries allow group III oils to be labeled as synthetic oil others do not.
Agreed,name of a product can be different from nation to nation even formulation is same BUT not specs,approvals,evaluations,inspections etc .
The API will always have same form or words at any country , its licensed trademark , the ACEA same , the car brands with their own specs same . You cant change these ,are same all over the world .

Edit: .....Manufacturer Approvals: VW 504.00, 507.00 (Amsoil product...)

The proper approved VW product MUST have a slash between 504 and 507 ....

VW 504.00/507.00

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Old Rattler,

I don't want to get off on another big oil discussion here, but the Spec requirements are just the minimum standard you have to meet. The top tier synthetics tend to go above and beyond these Specs. As just one example, none of the standard engine sequence tests required for the latest API, gas (SN), or HD diesel (CK-4), address the issue of extended drain performance of the oil being tested. So you have to rely on the oil company to have conducted testing that goes above and beyond these minimum standards. Amsoil will run these tests for 2-3 times the required number of hours and still pass the requirements of a standard length test.

TS
Why or even how would the oil manufacturer test for extended drain performance? In the real world, oil condition is a function of in service conditions. In Europe, some newer cars have oil condition monitoring sensors and it has been found that changing oil by condition rather that mileage allows OCI's to be exceeded considerably.

This is not with any specific oil other than the oil that meets the spec for the engine. What is a "Top Tier Synthetic oil"? The only place if have heard the term is in marketing claims.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Any "foreign" letter or symbol to a phrase that is claimed to be original ,automatically make it not original trademark to the specs . The phrase have an asterisk = scam ...
I understand what you are trying to say. The asterisk links the approvals reference to the approvals disclaimer that is buried in the trade marks disclaimer. Scam? IDK about that. Deceptive? Yes.

*All trademarked names or images are the property of their respective owners and may be registered in some countries there is no affiliation or endorsement claim expressed or implied made by their use. AMSOIL products are formulated to meet or exceed the performance requirements set forth by the manufacturers of all applications shown/listed here.

As an aside, Amsoil has stated that once the products that have the old labeling are sold all new production will have labeling that is currently correct.

Last edited:

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
I understand what you are trying to say.( At last......) The asterisk links the approvals reference to the approvals disclaimer that is buried in the trade marks disclaimer. Scam? IDK about that. Deceptive? Yes.

*All trademarked names or images are the property of their respective owners and may be registered in some countries there is no affiliation or endorsement claim expressed or implied made by their use. AMSOIL products are formulated to meet or exceed the performance requirements set forth by the manufacturers of all applications shown/listed here.( I dont disagree about quality of the oil, never did , i disagree for the specs,even if the oil is better than the VW specs,has no rights to put the VW spec w/o approval )

As an aside, Amsoil has stated that once the products that have the old labeling are sold all new production will have labeling that is currently correct.( Until we see the correct spec on their bottle, allow me to disagree that they acquire the VW spec .Its not allowed after all to put invalid specs on a bottle...)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you are uncomfortable with Amsoil's marketing, don't buy the oil. The latest approvals do show a good faith effort on Amsoil's part.

Me? I hate the marketing.

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
If you are uncomfortable with Amsoil's marketing, don't buy the oil. The latest approvals do show a good faith effort on Amsoil's part.

Me? I hate the marketing.
All world is based on marketing sadly but at least they should not misleading people . If they truly have the spec, they will use it as the VW will allow them to use it with the exact match of letters,numbers,symbols,spaces that VW have . Anything else like commas instead dots or slash or even capital O instead zeros is just a fake attempt to lie around the world and ruin their reputation by that . You have it Sir ? Use it as it is licensed to you because you not own the spec, you are just allowed to use it .