Cigarette Lighter Not Working - Fuse Intact - Secret Fuse Behind Panel?

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
Referenced Thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=273451

* Can anyone show me where this 'other' fuse is? *

I am having the same problem. When I was connection my power bar to the cigarette lighter I accidently got my keys in the way and shorted between the power bar connector prongs, zap. Now Fuse 41 was blown (for my MK4 Golf TDI BEW) but I have changed it and still not working.

Please can someone guide me to this 15A fuse behind the fuse panel that protects the panel? I really need to get this working quickly to be able to charge my phone

Thanks guys, a pic would be fantastic with a >Change this one< type explanation

<3

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The link you posted indicated its behind the fuse panel.
At the end of the thread it also indicated your is a Mark 4, wrong forum.
My wire diagram indicates fuse 41 goes directly to the lighter.
The lighter and the light in it share a common ground. Does it light up?
If there is one there you have to pull the fuse box to get to so at that point use a test light to confirm power at both sides of the fuse.
Confirm no power in the center of the lighter socket?
If the short went through the lighter ground maybe that's the problem, no ground or poor ground.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I had a lighter not working once. Turned out my ex#2's spawn-of-satan daughter had thoughtfully placed a small piece of cellophane down at the bottom.

Cheers,

PH

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
I'll check it out. So there is no fuse behind the panel other than #41 and the #Trunk Socket that you guys know of? That thread seems to insinuate there is a 15A fuse for the entire panel that blows.

Thanks in advance for your help.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nothing lights up as I need to change the bulb behind the fan switch (Sylvania 2721 or something)
I'm wondering if the ground wire is bad.
Did you verify there's no power to the lighter socket?

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
Trunk Socket doesn't work i.e. plug in power bar and no light up, though I need to get my circuit tester out. I have checked the fuse in the power bar and it appears good.

I think my next test will be to get the power circuit tester out and go from there. I changed the cigarette lighter fuse but no go.

Will I be touching the red prong on the center of the cigarette lighter and then just a ground somewhere on the car?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Trunk Socket doesn't work i.e. plug in power bar and no light up, though I need to get my circuit tester out. I have checked the fuse in the power bar and it appears good.

I think my next test will be to get the power circuit tester out and go from there. I changed the cigarette lighter fuse but no go.

Will I be touching the red prong on the center of the cigarette lighter and then just a ground somewhere on the car?
Correct, ground the black lead, touch the center bottom of the cigarette lighter.

Also, take fuse 41 out and test there is power to one of the connections in the slots.

Last, while the black lead is grounded put the meter on resistance and touch the barrel of the lighter socket. (not the center point)
You should get very low resistance. Zero in theory.

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
To Confirm

1. There is no (15A) fuse that protects the entire panel up and behind the panel itself only found after removing it on a MK4 2004 BEW Golf TDI?

In Order of Troubleshooting

1. Lighter Socket - Free of debris, Power to the socket rear will be tested if not fuse issue

2. Fuses - Check all fuses

3. Connections for Fuses - i.e power from and to?

4. Connection between Fuse Panel and Socket

That is all I am troubleshooting? No other secret fuses or relays or locations?

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
To Confirm

1. There is no (15A) fuse that protects the entire panel up and behind the panel itself only found after removing it on a MK4 2004 BEW Golf TDI?

In Order of Troubleshooting

1. Lighter Socket - Free of debris, Power to the socket rear will be tested if not fuse issue

2. Fuses - Check all fuses

3. Connections for Fuses - i.e power from and to?

4. Connection between Fuse Panel and Socket

That is all I am troubleshooting? No other secret fuses or relays or locations?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unless the Golf is different there is no other fuse or relay.

On #4, where the fuse plugs in check for power in the fuse block.
One side or the other has to have power which goes to the fuse and the fuse goes to the other side feeding the lighter.

I use T-pins to probe into the fuse slots or into wires.
Available in stationary supply at Wally World (AKA Walmart) :)

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
I haven't had much time yet but I noticed today the light is on in the ashtray. I am going to check continuity on the fuse in the power converter first and also may try that in a different vehicle. Then the fuse panel depending on my findings.

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
Ok so I have an update finally. Cigarette Lighter in the car is now working. Was just a fuse and apparently I had 2 x that looked good but were not working.

New problem, 12v outlet in trunk fuse is fine but no power, the little light doesn't work and there is no power reaching the socket.

Ideas?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New problem, 12v outlet in trunk fuse is fine but no power, the little light doesn't work and there is no power reaching the socket.
Funny, I can't find it in my diagrams. :confused:
If "the little light" is the one in the trunk / cargo area and also not working I would check for a bad ground.
Maybe clamp your meter or test light to a good ground such as "LEFT FRONT OF LUGGAGE COMPT" (from my diagram) for checking for power in this area.