www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 18th, 2017, 12:54   #151
duratitus
Veteran Member

^^^ In other words, there might be a silver lining ;-)
duratitus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 14:12   #152
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
I feel that your trivialization of a horrific crime against a person's bodily autonomy by comparing it to a botched car repair that, in one case at least, the automaker has offered to more than fairly compensate the owner of the car, is incredibly dangerous - calling fairly mundane, if annoying, scenarios "rape" means that actual rape is itself treated by society as less important than it actually is.

But, to get back to the actual topic...

We don't actually know that parts are available to do so - it's very easily possible that VW doesn't stock those parts any more, only the post-fix parts, requiring a vehicle to get the fix.

And, even if they do, as I've told you half a dozen times by now, backing out the fix after already removing the defeat device would be a violation of federal law - the same violation that VW committed by manufacturing the car with the defeat device in the first place.
They *CANNOT* as per the settlement force the fix under any conditions! Go read it again! Thus, they *MUST* support parts with the old code to meet the legal support obligations! And you "telling me stuff" does not mean that you are not just naive, clueless, and/or incorrect . . . you clearly are *NOT* class counsel, not can you comprehend the simple, obvious, fact that a broken car has not had the "fix" . . . thus the only thing being backed out is a botched attempt, and no crime committed. Unless you can quote hard copy from the settlement supporting your dubious claim, I frankly don't want to hear it . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 03:08   #153
DanB36
Veteran Member

Ah, the ignore list is a great thing.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 03:53   #154
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
Ah, the ignore list is a great thing.
it is, but it could use an option to include quoted content in the ignore.

(as seen above, hitting reply includes direct content in a post. so that in this case someone who had you on the ignore list would still see this, if I was not on his/her ignore list)

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 04:13   #155
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
They *CANNOT* as per the settlement force the fix under any conditions! Go read it again!
How about you provide me with a quote for that, because I can't find it in the Amended 2.0 Liter Consent Decree.

Quote:
And you "telling me stuff" does not mean that you are not just naive, clueless, and/or incorrect . . . you clearly are *NOT* class counsel, not can you comprehend the simple, obvious, fact that a broken car has not had the "fix" . . . thus the only thing being backed out is a botched attempt, and no crime committed. Unless you can quote hard copy from the settlement supporting your dubious claim, I frankly don't want to hear it . . .
But the Consent Decree doesn't appear to cover this situation (of the repair being completed), meaning it falls back to federal law.

And, what's been claimed in this thread is that the DSG reflash is the last step, meaning the engine (but not the car) has been brought into compliance. It's a violation of 42 USC 7522(a)(3)(B) to install a device that principally bypasses, defeats, or renders inoperative any device or element of design on a compliant engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:26   #156
craigldavis

TDI(s): 2009 JSW M/T

Quote:
They *CANNOT* as per the settlement force the fix under any conditions! Go read it again! Thus, they *MUST* support parts with the old code to meet the legal support obligations! And you "telling me stuff" does not mean that you are not just naive, clueless, and/or incorrect . . . you clearly are *NOT* class counsel, not can you comprehend the simple, obvious, fact that a broken car has not had the "fix" . . . thus the only thing being backed out is a botched attempt, and no crime committed. Unless you can quote hard copy from the settlement supporting your dubious claim, I frankly don't want to hear it . . .
Tadawson: most people here are interested in helping each other. To that end, here’s something from the TDI fix paperwork you may want to consider:

Quote:
If you choose to keep your vehicle but decline the emissions modification at this time, you should be aware that certain emissions-related replacement and repair parts may at some point no longer be available from Volkswagen. Accordingly, in the future, if your unmodified vehicle requires maintenance and repairs of the emissions system we may need to install parts associated with the emissions modification, or, in some cases, install all aspects of the emissions modification.
This is on printed page 10 of the pdf located here: https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/V...nual_Final.pdf

I hope you can survive this without a coronary. I know we love these cars. I missed mine like crazy for the week they were working on it. I hated my Passat loaner. It’s stressful but it is just a car. VW customer care is your friend and will help you if you don’t burn that bridge. Honey or vinegar... your choice.

Best of luck.
Old October 19th, 2017, 13:37   #157
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
How about you provide me with a quote for that, because I can't find it in the Amended 2.0 Liter Consent Decree.

But the Consent Decree doesn't appear to cover this situation (of the repair being completed), meaning it falls back to federal law.

And, what's been claimed in this thread is that the DSG reflash is the last step, meaning the engine (but not the car) has been brought into compliance. It's a violation of 42 USC 7522(a)(3)(B) to install a device that principally bypasses, defeats, or renders inoperative any device or element of design on a compliant engine.
Uh, the fact that you can drive the car without being forced to fix it, perhaps? It's common knowledge . . . And if VW *chose* to abandon all old parts, that will drive even more folks away . . . but still not a legal mandate.

And the detail that you appear to be oblivious to is that if the car won't run, the fix *CANNOT* be completed. It's a binary thing: done or not. Any part not working, not done. The fact that the car is legal unfixed appears to supercede your ranting that they cannot back out a failed attempt. That car was built unfixed, is legal unfixed, and no matter how it gets there, remains legal unfixed . . . seems pretty obvious from here.

But then again, I appear to be wasting my time on this . . . I am not affected, and some folks just choose to read things in that are not there. I feel sorry for those that are in this predicament, since VW is obviously more interested in game playing that getting your cars working. A simple clarification/verification of the legality of a backout from the judge for these special cases would be the easiest path if there is any doubt . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote