Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Texasmeat (dieseltoyz) rocks.

We dropped an 01 01M beetle into his lap that had shifting issues that we bought on Ebay. He was fair in prices, had us purchase the parts (uses dieselgeek kit), saved all parts for our inspection. Phone and email updates with photos abounded.

He flat out admits to not being a tranny guy (nice that someone will tell you straight out if they don't do it), but did service the tranny at our request and its doing great.

He got everything done in time for us to pick up the car in Texas (a day ahead of original schedule) and picked us up at the airport (even though he just got out of a MRI minutes before)

He has been kind enough to do some hand holding for a first time TDI owner as well. He deferred part of the payment for the services to make sure we could get back home safely.

He is leaving for Germany today, however, and will be back Dec 7 2008.

Shop is super clean.

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Road tested car: Sent it through TX, OK, KS, MO, IL, IN, OH, WV, MD, PA and VA in four days of near non stop driving. Car hasn't missed a beat. Thanks for good advice, and good work.

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Growler kindly recommened a TDI guru in Maryland, but I can't recall his name...would also appreciate someone who works on gassers..I also live 5 mins from PA and WV, I'm off Sats and Suns through Christmas (Having serious issues with my current gasser mechanic)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Oliver Wegener, TDIRacing on the forums. Baltimore MD.

Last edited:

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
xny556cip said:
just a note about my personal experiences with people included in this list.I contacted four that were within a reasonable distance for me to have a timing belt job done.The first failed to respond to messages left.The second agreed to do the work then later declined.The third quoted around $1100 - $1400.The fourth did the job today,as quoted ( $643.45 inc.parts / labor / taxes ).Thanks Jason of L&S in Port Jervis NY.I'll keep you posted and will be back with my 2006 before too long.
I'm another satisfied costumer of Jason's work (L&S in Port Jervis, NY). And yes, I drove all the way from Philadelphia to meet Jason and use his skills. The skid plate install went without any problems and no oil light came on on my way home... :D

P.S. Want to say hello to fellow member "silverstick", how did the check up of your wagen went???

RobW2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Steve's European Auto

I've had some service performed by Marty Bergell, and was totally impressed by his knowledge, and the obvious affinity he has for these cars, but he's a loooong way from where I am. I see that Steve's European Auto in Waterford is conspicuous by his absence. Does anyone have any experience with that shop? PM me if you don't want to reply on the thread...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
RobW2 said:
he's a loooong way from where I am.
in what part of Detroit are you?? He's only an hour or so from downtown...

TDI-Techs of his caliber are worth a couple of hours' drive... especially for critical things like timing belts and other serious matters...

Yuri.

RobW2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
ymz said:
in what part of Detroit are you?? He's only an hour or so from downtown...

TDI-Techs of his caliber are worth a couple of hours' drive... especially for critical things like timing belts and other serious matters...

Yuri.
I'm on the east side. I agree with you about Marty, and he does my work. I just wondered about Steve's shop...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
When you have a TDI-specific issue -- timing belt, injection system, turbo, etc. -- then travel however far is necessary to have the work done by an expert.

Most other work can be performed by a good general mechanic or maybe someone who specializes in German cars -- brakes, suspension, even transmission stuff.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Knoxville TN

mfvw said:
For an update my shop is MF Automotive in Knoxville. It is not MFVW, we are a VW Audi only shop, specializing in sevice, sales, parts & performance. We are currently at 3526 E John Sevier Hwy. We will be moving to 5611 Washington Pike, Knoxville Tn. 37918.We will be up and running on 11-3-08. This is a very nice 12000 sqf facility that will be able to support any job small or large!
Thanks,
Matt Ford
Owner MF Automotive
865-523-7676
Matt, have you made the move? Got any pics of your new shop? Maybe with a TDI on the lift, etc?

GPOJerry

Village VW Associate Vendor
TDI
craigvu said:
I've got to give a recommendation to German Performance Options in Nashville, TN. These guys have taken great care of my 2005 Golf TDI for the last year or so, and I couldn't be happier.
Thanx, we are trying to get on the list but the majority of our TDI customers do not know anything about the TDIclub and i'm not going to go around asking for nominations. It'll get there eventually.

btw, shop is located at:
German Performance Options
1227 Lebanon Pike
Nashville, Tn
(615)248-9466
gpotuning@gmail.com

Last edited:

rpwolfgang

TDI
Baton Rouge

Are there any reputable mechanics in the Baton Rouge, LA area. I need the brakes on my 2006 TDI replaced. Thanks!!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rpwolfgang said:
Are there any reputable mechanics in the Baton Rouge, LA area. I need the brakes on my 2006 TDI replaced. Thanks!!
You do not need a TDI expert for this job. Just look for a shop specializing in European cars, which has been in business for a while. If the owner has a German accent, so much the better.

Note: rear brakes usually wear first, front brakes sometimes last twice as long depending on how you drive. So you may not need both front and back at the same time.

GPOJerry

Village VW Associate Vendor
TDI
craigvu said:
I've got to give a recommendation to German Performance Options in Nashville, TN. These guys have taken great care of my 2005 Golf TDI for the last year or so, and I couldn't be happier.
Also Craig, I hope you hang around and lend some info on the Vanderbilt Boidiesel initiative.

penman236

TDI
'09 Jetta SportWagen 2.0 TDI
jwlionking please check this link. My browser flags it as unsafe.

[FONT=&quot]EF1 Motorsports[FONT=&quot]
2675 Dawson Street
Signal Hill, CA 90755
(562) 424-3378 Ask for Fabrizio
www.ef1motorsports.net/
MAP

Thank you.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

SelectEuroCars

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
We TRY to keep each of the models in stock. I drove a Pickup > 500,000mi, ex drove a Jetta 304k mi then I sold the motor and it was used another year +!
I would appreciate being added to the list -- we have specialized in VW/Audi for 30 years, have the VAS 5052, 5051 and are one of 42 independent shops in the US that code/cut transponder keys. Check out out url www.SelectEuroCars.com Thanks

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Hi all,
Anyone know of this vendor listed in the forst page of this thread, in Florida? Just wondering if anyone can give reference to teir service, or another reputable TDi expert in Central FL.
Thanks!

E & L Mobile Auto Service
Servicing all of Central Florida
Maintance And Repairs Onsite
P.O. Box 137155
Clermont, FL 34713-7155
(863) 398-3277
(321) 284-4772

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mdl3r1 said:
Hi all,
Anyone know of this vendor listed in the forst page of this thread, in Florida? Just wondering if anyone can give reference to teir service, or another reputable TDi expert in Central FL.
Thanks!

E & L Mobile Auto Service
Servicing all of Central Florida
Maintance And Repairs Onsite
P.O. Box 137155
Clermont, FL 34713-7155
(863) 398-3277
(321) 284-4772
I suppose it depends on what kind of work you want done. Brakes, shocks and struts, something common to all VWs and European cars -- then probably a place like E&L can do fine.

But if you have a TDI-specific issue -- timing belt, injection pump or injectors, turbo, EGR valve -- then you are in luck, because Keith Scarborough, TDIClub username LWB053, is not that far from you. Just down the road to Tampa.
javabean215 at yahoo dot com

E&L does not work on TDIs, according to this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2214063&postcount=498
I assume that means they will work on VWs but can't help you out with your TDI-specific problems.

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Thanks TRed, for the response and for the link to the post about this vendor. I just could not go through another 44-page thread! LOL After having plowed through the TDI engine break-in thread, plus Neurot's initial thread on B100 (now closed, but wanted to have all the background), plus the one on his actual testing period (finished page 43 last nite, or, er, this AM!), I may need to ask questions answered 20 pages ago.. I hope not.

Anyway, I meant TDI-specifics like timing belts, etc. Not that I need anything yet on my new TDI, but just figured I'd start having someone in mind for whenever somethin' arises that I do not want to trust the stealer to look at.. :D

I will also ask the poster you linked how he found out, etc.

IMO, if they can't do TDI-specifics, why list here? I thought that was the whole idea...
md

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
cujo said:
If you live in central Florida you should know that E & L Mobile Auto Service which is listed as a trusted TDI mechanic does not work on TDI's.
Hi Cujo,
TRed pointed out your post; may I ask what he does/doesn't do, and how you found out he is not a TDI mechanic after all:confused: ?

Where do you go for service on your TDI? Fla Eurocars in Lakeland?
Thnx
md

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mdl3r1 said:
if they can't do TDI-specifics, why list here? I thought that was the whole idea...
Well, some people just try to be helpful without really appreciating the fact that these cars require a higher level of care... Hey, I was happy with my old mechanic who kept my old Turbo-Diesel Jettas running well past 400,000 miles... took my new TDI to him just once and never went back because I wasn't happy with what I saw... (well, I did go back to him for a front bearing eventually, but that's hardly TDI specific...)

Since you have two trusted TDI-Club Gurus within a couple of hours' drive (Keith Scarborough in Tampa and Scott Krout in Jacksonville), I wouldn't bother trying to find alternatives except in case of emergency or for non-critical maintenance.

All the best,

Yuri.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just noticed your signature... Since you have a 2009 (with a warranty), your options are a bit more limited... Keith Scarborough, although extremely highly regarded by everyone here, does not (to my knowledge) run a licensed repair facility... I believe that to keep your warranty alive, you need to have appropriate receipts - especially considering that your car involves totally new (to North America) systems.

Hopefully you won't be needing much sophisticated service, and as long as your friendly local VW dealer actually puts in the correct oil (not something you can take for granted), you should be fine going there, at least for the first couple of maintenance operations...

All the best,

Yuri.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Tred/jwlionking..thanks for getting me taken care of and in the right section..looks good Thanks again..

Last edited:

LookingGlass

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Fairborn Service (Ohio)

I own a 2000 Jetta VR6 and a 2009 Jetta TDI. Also, I just gave a 2000 New Beetle to our daughter. I have used John and Ralph, owners of Fairborn Service, 419 W. Dayton Ave., Fairborn, OH for over 10 years and I absolutely trust them for their judgment in repair matters and honesty in billing. Without them, I probably wouldn't keep my cars over the dealer included in-warranty service period. Small shop, low overhead, close to Wright-Patterson AFB. They work on Mercedes also, but mostly VWs. (I have no financial interest in their business whatsover, by the way.)

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Growler in Columbus OH, worth it!

I took my 2.0 (yes I know, a gasser) out to Columbus for a timing belt et al change.

Dealt with my being late, and Rodney's general evilness rather calmly, and went out of his way to enlist a friend to tap out a stripped bolt (whose name I didn't catch, but wanted to thank!)

Spotted mistakes in previous timing belt job, advised me on other components that need to be replaced, told me what he was, and was not comfortable working on. Advised me also on my TDI, and my husband's 2.0.

Replaced v. lines, car running better than it has in two years. Fees reasonable. Very, very pleased.