87 tin top AHU/1Z swap

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Figured I'd start a new thread for my new build I'm starting. I picked this 87 tin top up from the auto auction. The plan is for an ahu or 1z, whichever I find first, with air conditioning, and power steering. For this build I'll be keeping the samurai transmission and transfercase, and will be staying electronic this time around. 30x9.5r15 tires, yj leafs spring under, and roll cage will also be in the works during this build. Look forward to getting into it and posting pix on here.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like a really clean starting point. Look forward to seeing your progress.
Thanks. I'm not sure yet if I'll take on the wiring myself, or have fastforward do it. I don't know if I have enough knowledge to do it.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Still looking for a donor car. Collecting parts otherwise. Picked up a set of mk2 recaros for it today. They are surprisingly clean.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Did a little pre diesel prep tonight. Pulled the old 1.3 motor- or what was left of it. Still on the lookout for a donor swap. I found one local I'm thinking about buying but haven't popped the cash yet

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
The body on that looks superb! I'm picking up a new to me 87 ragtop this week. I would love to do this swap, will be following yours closely.

Last edited:

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. It's really clean overall, but still has a few flaws. I've already done an mtdi swap on my other one, but I pulled it back apart to rework a few kinks I had with it and haven't fixed it yet.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
I really like the CRs. The one in my 09 Jetta is just a great engine. I know that the Sammy transmission would be overmatched by it, but I'd love to run one. I definitely want to keep the original driveline, and want to minimize lift as well (prefer OME). Looking forward to seeing how you do this while retaining the Sammy trans and using SUA Jeep springs for lift.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked into the cr, but it's gonna be too much work for me. If I did it, I would probably swap to Toyota driveline to handle the power.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up the donor yesterday finally. Runs, but intake manifold is extremely packed with crap. Planning on stripping this motor down and doing some stuff before I swap it into my zuki.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Motor is 50% pulled. Planning on pulling out entire subframe. I want to keep the motor and trans together so I can try to start it once I start stripping the harness and building my stand alone harness.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I accidentally threw away the maf when I cleaned shop. Anybody know if it's something I absolutely need? Can I run well without it?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Been trying to figure out the wiring. Motor has been pulled from donor. Just gotta figure out what goes where and try to connect everything correctly, and then start cutting.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I think I accidentally threw away the maf .... Anybody know if it's something I absolutely need? Can I run well without it?
.... will be staying electronic this time around.
It will run more like VW stock with a functioning MAF. The engine will start and run without, but most failed MAF are replaced with working ones for a reason.
M-TDI wouldn't need it, other tune levels might not require it, but I suspect a used MAF will be cheaper than a MAF delete tune.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I figured I'd be better off keeping it. I got the harness 75% stripped now. Just gotta figure out what several more thin wires go to. I'm pretty sure they are for the cluster, but not positive.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
So, regarding the 109 relay, it's what closes and supplies power to the ecu correct? If I'm reading this wiring diagram correctly, I believe it to be so. And can I remove it, and run a generic 40 amp 12v relay switched on with my suzuki ignition? In my mind it makes sense, just wondering what you guys think.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Nevermind, I see now that pin 38 is from the ignition switch. I'm guessing that it goes through the ecu and then powers up the 109.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
That power relay circuit is a bit of an odd thing. The ECU gets switched ignition on Pin 38 Black. This wakes it up and it then puts a ground on Pin 42 Black/Violet which activates the relay. You can use a generic relay if you connect terminals 30 and 85 together and 86 to the Black/Violet wire from ECU Pin 42. Terminal 87 then goes to ECU Pins 23, 45 and 68.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I got the wiring all figured out finally. This engine is now going into my other convertible instead of the tin top sami.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I had 6 before I turned 18 :) they are my favorite vehicle ever, second favorite is my diesel vw's, so I mix them! I'm 21 now, and still have my first Zuk, it's got an AHU mtdi now though

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Acme adapter kit ordered. Working tonight on getting the pedal assembly mounted.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
That came out nice,same plane as the other pedals.
Didn't if though? It's surprising to me how similar it came out compared to the Sami pedal. I cut the bracket up, and had it installed 15 minutes later. Super easy stuff.