2005 Allroad TDI

atunicus

TDI
2005 allroad bhw, 2013 touareg
2005 Allroad TDI

15K USD

Located in Minneapolis MN

I bought this car in early 2016 with the engine already installed. I wasn't very happy overall with the quality of the swap so I went
down the rabbit hole of fixing every minor little thing that I could find. I am very particular with my vehicles.
The one major issue with the swap initially as I obtained it was the front diff and rear diff were not matching. The front diff eventually blew up and then I ordered a new transmission and rear diff from Frans.
Since owning the car I have only put 12k miles on it. I do not do a ton of day to day driving. The car is still registered at a 2.7t, I dont have emissions in my state.

Mileage on car: 149,417 miles
Mileage on engine: 195,572 miles

This will be a high level overview. To see in full detail all of the parts and services used please see the following spreedsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_hrcu9OYUpm5SB-hSInQeXrPzEcQtd6pvMvMl-rCY4o/edit?usp=sharing

Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PoKL5oAH4duW8DrJ7

Engine
BHW, balance shaft delete, cam and lifters replaced, fluidampr harmonic balancer, new OEM BHW engine mounts
newer timing belt and related rollers/tensioners, waterpump
rebuilt turbo
new rear main seal

Transmission
6 speed 01e and matching rear end from Frans, 4.11 gears
Dual mass flywheel and clutch kit from Darkside, rated to 370 ft lbs
After market rebuildable allroad center driveshaft, new u-joint and suppport bearing
Front axle flanges from a 2.7t 01e
Allroad raxles front cv shafts
Oem transmission mounts
Rear diff mount apiktol
Poly rear diff bushings
JHM - solid linkage upgrade, short throw shifter, linkage cross rod upgrade

Tune
Stage 2 malone tune

Exhaust
buzzken downpipe /w high flow cat, 2.5 inch
ssautochrome xspower allroad 2.7t catback
Downpipe and 2.7t catback merged professionally by a custom exhaust shop

Suspension
Arnott gen 2, new air compressor
Front and rear control arms have all been replaced and bolts lubed with antiseize (had to drill out rear bolts and some fronts)
Replaced inner and outer tie rod ends
Rear hotchkis sway bar on the softer setting
034 rear spherical sway bar links

Misc
Thor skid plate
Thule roof rails
custom NA spec allroad hitch, 3300 lbs capacity, built by Justin Scheifflee from Audizine
New glow plug harness, connected with butt connectors and heat shrink tubes, 7V ceramic NGK glow plugs
Engine cover pop on/off conversion, no longer need to unbolt it
Front and rear facing blackvue dashcam, optional control box mounted near hood latch lever, lets you run the camera while parked
Android head unit with backup camera (this unit has been flakey lately, I have a new one on order)
Hard wired usb charger, ports on passenger side
Stainless cup holders on passenger side
New AC compressor, dryer, condensor
Upgraded "Doggie Collar" intake hose to intake manifold connector
Rear Aero Wiper Conversion Kit
Recent full brake flush
BHW Frost heater from frostheater.com
**Windshield cowl sealed with silicone, doesn't quite sit right on its own and was letting some water into the cabin filter

Last edited:

VWfanatic

TDI
Wife got it in Divorce
Interesting build.. Thanks for sharing.

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7t 6spd
2010 VW CC 3.6 VR6 4motion Ex
2004 VW Jetta GLI VR6 6spd

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Nice work, looks great. Should make someone very happy. This is such a nice setup it's surprising there aren't more of them around.

Do you remember what trans code 6-speed you ended up putting in?

atunicus

TDI
I don't know for sure what the trans code is. I would have to get under and look at it. I was told by Frans that it was out of a 4 cylinder TDI with 4.11 final gear ratio. Based on my research it should be a FPP or FTT.

If I am right these would be the ratios:

3.50 1.89 1.32 0.93 0.73 0.58

atunicus

TDI
I get 34 to 35mpg on the highway. The average right now with a lot of sub 50mph driving is 29.

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
I don't know for sure what the trans code is. I would have to get under and look at it. I was told by Frans that it was out of a 4 cylinder TDI with 4.11 final gear ratio. Based on my research it should be a FPP or FTT.
If I am right these would be the ratios:
3.50 1.89 1.32 0.93 0.73 0.58
Thanks. Those ratios sound right. I just bought an FTS 01E transmission out of a similar 4cyl application with similar ratios (and a 4.11 rear diff) from Frans also for my own '01 6-speed Allroad. Hoping to end up with an outcome similar to what you have here, though I am as yet undecided whether to go with the 2004 BHW I have here for this car or keep trying to get hold of a 2.5L V6.

Anyway, I won't hijack your for sale thread with further discussion, best of luck with the sale, looks like you did a great job working the kinks out and making it function as intended. :)

atunicus

TDI
There is some surface rust in the photos on the front fenders where they come near the front doors. If it doesn't sell I plan on fixing that this spring.

The car was originally from Quebec.

atunicus

TDI
Bumping this up.

Someone give this car a good home.

VWfanatic

TDI
Wife got it in Divorce
I think the issue is your listed price is way high for this market.

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7t 6spd
2010 VW CC 3.6 VR6 4motion Ex
2004 VW Jetta GLI VR6 6spd

atunicus

TDI
My price is high but I am open to offers, obviously with any build like this the builder will sell for a huge loss which I am currently doing. If it doesn't sell I will sell my other cars instead and keep this one.

atunicus

TDI
I will consider trades for a vehicle capable of towing an RV.

atunicus

TDI
Bumping this up. All offers and trades will be considered.