FS: 1997 VW T4 TDI DoKa

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
1997 VW T4 TDI DoKa. 2.5L ACV code. 5 speed O2G manual trans. Stock German truck imported by me 5-6 years ago. Very utilitarian with minimal options: PS and PB. aftermarket CD radio. Rubber flooring throughout.

Sold

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Very nice!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
A week here and no bites. This is a rare beast here fellow TDI'ers. All sorted. Likely silly to be selling as it's so reliable but I have my eyes on something else in Europe...

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
I'd put it on Bring A Trailer. It's a beauty, and that site would give it exposure to folks who might not only appreciate it but have deep enough pockets to pay what it's worth.

Keep in mind also that as of the current date this German-market truck could only be registered to a new owner in Canada, so your potential market is pretty limited compared to what it could be later on. If you can hold onto it for a couple more years until it clears the 25-year US import rule, it will open it up to a much larger pool of buyers and probably go quick.

Good luck, I would love to have it, and the work you have done on it looks to be top notch. I run a 2002 crew cab gas F-250 for a work truck, this sounds like it would do everything the Ford does on one half the fuel and be an order of magnitude better to drive. Out of curiosity, any idea of the rated payload for this?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Missed your reply. My apologies.

I use this truck for all kinds of jobs around here. Friday picked up ~20 industrial pallets. We heat our buildings here with an outdoor wood boiler so i also regularly pick up logs as well as bucked up wood. I regularly haul 1000 lbs and on more than one occasion more than that. The chassis is stout. Is a Super Duty Ford, nope but it does 90% of what I need a truck for.

I appreciate the suggestion of BaT. I have other selling experience with them. They dictate what the selling reserve is if you want to list your vehicle there. I had a T3 Tristar a couple years ago that I wanted to list there. Had an interesting debate with them over the reserve. In the end I did not use them.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
A week here and no bites. This is a rare beast here fellow TDI'ers. All sorted. Likely silly to be selling as it's so reliable but I have my eyes on something else in Europe...
I think a lot of interest but all here in the states are limited by the import rule, so we wouldn't be able to register it stateside.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I think a lot of interest but all here in the states are limited by the import rule, so we wouldn't be able to register it stateside.

Agree with this statement. I just figured where there is a will, there is a way. There are 10s of thousands of grey market cars floating around the US.

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
I appreciate the suggestion of BaT. I have other selling experience with them. They dictate what the selling reserve is if you want to list your vehicle there. I had a T3 Tristar a couple years ago that I wanted to list there. Had an interesting debate with them over the reserve. In the end I did not use them.
I have heard that from other folks too that they often demand a lower reserve than the seller would want to have, or in some cases refuse to take the listing at all unless it goes with no reserve. They seem motivated to avoid no-sales where the reserve is not met. On the other hand selling prices generally seem to be high there so sellers seem to do pretty well regardless of their choice on the reserve. But it's certainly a risk for the seller having to accept a reserve far below the vehicle's value, especially in a case like this with a more obscure vehicle that has a relatively narrow market. Would be a different proposition if it were a gas Westfalia Vanagon or old Porsche or Land Cruiser or other wider-market vehicle where you could be sure during any given week that there would be multiple competitive bidders for it.

Still it might do well there in a couple years when you can include US buyers in the bidder pool.

What are you considering replacing it with?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
d24tdi,

Your thoughts mirror my own. It's my product and i've done market research and I will decide my reserve. When this fell on deaf ears, I walked.

While my DoKa is FS, it's still actively being used. Just put 600KMs on it the other day.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
The KMs keep clicking up. Another 500+km trip last week.

Installed my Nokian Hakkas on dedicated winter rims.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I would love to have this truck, but my wife wouldn't sign off. We already have too many vehicles. Ha, ha!

Is the price USD or CAD? You might have an easier time selling to an American if the truck was at least 25 years old due to import rules. Also, the 25% import duty doesn't help unless light-duty trucks are treated as automobiles and not "trucks."

Last edited: