Upgrade The Wagon

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well small update, still haven't gotten my malone adapter yet. Not sure when it will show up.
Ordered my ARP head studs, should be getting them tomorrow.
Sad news, Cascade German is on back order with their 17/22's, so I have to decide whether to wait a few months, or get one elsewhere.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! Monster turbo! Thats... Probably way more than I'll ever need. I'll definitely need to shop around... the price is good, but.. sheesh..

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So has anyone seen a 17/26 turbo before??? This is new to me. Any input/opinions?

Edit... Nevermind. Apparently a VNT17/22 core HAS to be provided.. Seems like the 17/22 turbos are becoming hard to find..

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Seems folks have alternatives to the now discontinued 17/22. I'd do some more research.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well chatted with Aaron at Cascade German. Gave me the run down of the performance differences of the Vnt17 vs the 17/22, yeah the 17/22 can push more torque and horsepower, spools up faster, but he said the vnt17 has the best bang for your buck, just spools up a little slower and doesn't have quite the same power capabilities as the 17/22.

So... Due to availability, and partially because I don't plan to go that big with mods... I've decided to stick with getting a vnt17. Turbo lag doesn't bug me that much :)

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
Well chatted with Aaron at Cascade German. Gave me the run down of the performance differences of the Vnt17 vs the 17/22, yeah the 17/22 can push more torque and horsepower, spools up faster, but he said the vnt17 has the best bang for your buck, just spools up a little slower and doesn't have quite the same power capabilities as the 17/22.
So... Due to availability, and partially because I don't plan to go that big with mods... I've decided to stick with getting a vnt17. Turbo lag doesn't bug me that much :)
Vnt17 set up right will be enough to make you smile with what its got on tap vs the stock turbo. you won't regret it AND easy to find cartridges/replacements later down the road vs vnt17/22

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great... Another question for the pile. What is the difference between the Garrett vnt17 and the Borg Warner vnt17?

Edit: found a thread where Oilhammer said the Garrett is more reliable. So guess which one I'm going with :)

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is there an equivalent turbo to the Garrett VNT-17 from Borg-Warner? I'm not able to find one easily. Lots of vendors list a B-W under the VW OE part number, but I don't see manufacturer part numbers.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cascade German lists one, said it was a stock option in the UK, and that it uses a BV39 cartridge. Another downer is that the actuator isn't serviceable like the Garrett one is.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mean it's still a possibility that's what I may get! I'm just worried about part availability afterwards. Kerma and Cascade German are either sold out and on back order, or don't offer the 17/22 anymore. I guess it's been discontinued. I'd hate to be like the Toyota BRZ and not be able to use my forced induction :)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Malone adapter showed up! Got it all mocked up! Now to cut up some aluminum stock, heli coil some holes, then have someone weld it together for me.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Brief update y'all. VNT 17 is on it's way, have the head studs, waiting for the aluminum welder to finish....

Tore apart the spare injectors that "supposedly" had .216 nozzles in them, only to find TDIRACING P502 in them. Brief searching shows not as reliable as Bosio or Bosch... So now I'm in the market for nozzles.... Great.

Almost bought a Frank06 stage 2 cam as well, but my vendor is currently out of stock on them as well.

Really need to get this project rolling. My tired turbo is being a turd lately.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the intake back, welds look strong. Not the prettiest, but I guess these intakes don't like to be welded on. Buddy had to find the lowest flash point welding rod to actually make it stick. Bit of filing and grinding and everything is mostly straight. But for some reason the EGR pipe from cooler to valve doesn't want to line up now! Left the whole assembly loose and it doesn't want to cooperate. How much flex can these hoses do before they strain and want to crack?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Maybe with enough slotting of the bracket holes it will work.
Is it possible that your machined adapter is too short?
Don't know how much the flex section can stand, just go slow.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I actually found out the corrugated part is very flexible. Took the pipe off and did a small adjustment bend, now everything lines up without any strain. I'll be putting int on later today or tomorrow

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Everything is on! While I was in there, I installed my Frostheater, and upgraded the oil cooler to a BHW cooler. The EGR cooler bolted right up, no hose binding or manipulation needed.

Also, clocking VNT17's isn't fun. Had to dry fit it three separate times to get it just right.

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
Was there a reason you went with the stock ALH EGR instead of the PD150 version. I have been thinking about almost the same (Build GT1756 Hybrid Turbo from GotTuned)The intake and PP764 Nozzles. I have PP520 but with that turbo i think it will not be enough fuel...

I dont have a Friend who can weld Aluminium. I wonder in based on the placement install 2 studs on the bottom of the intake to make it work.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was cheaper, and unique. Mostly wanted to see if it would work. Bought the manifold off the private listings for $40, got the $90 adapter, then had the friend do the welding free of charge. So far I'm very happy with it.
Matter of fact... Found a second one at the wrecking yard today for future plans.

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
What happened to the pictures Nero Morg I spend an hour trying to find this thread! You did an awesome JOB!

Last edited: