2013 JSW dsg slipped at high speed (70mph+)

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
Please help! The wife was driving home this morning (-9 degrees outside temp) and traveling down the hwy @ 70mph the car "revved " up like it's out of gear and she had to pull over. Waited about 5 minutes and then it would go. She went through town the rest of the way, never over 40 mph and it didn't slip again.
The night prior, I was coming home and got an awful smell inside the car that I could not explain or have ever smelled before.
Did my dsg just **** the bed?
I had 80 mile service done a few months ago and it's about to roll 90k on the clock.
Need advice bad! Any trusted shops in Appleton WI?

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
I had the 80k mile service done. Wouldn't that include a fluid change? I haven't had a look at the car yet.

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
So I took it down the road and the transmission makes noise. Once you are rolling it starts a fun rubbing sound. If you let of the gas, it stops untill the transmission starts slowing the car down then it starts rubbing again. So under load it is making the noise.
Is it totally ****ed?

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
I took it further down the road to a shop. The noise stops once you are shifted into 5 and 6 gear. I dont know what this tells me.

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
meisters imports
So they quoted me about $2500 for a used DSG installed and i did not want the extended warranty on the used DSG because I want to trade it in for a manual anyway... so this is an import dealer and he said trade it in with us. (not where i bought the car from originally)

we'll see what kind of offer they make. they have 2 to chose from:

2013 Volkswagen
Jetta SportWagen TDI w/Sunroof
WHITE
Miles
$12,995

or

2011 Volkswagen
Jetta SportWagen TDI w/manual trans
SILVER
Miles
$8,999

Now my JSW should still be worth a pretty fair price yes?
Shwank is online now Report Post

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Take it over to VL Performance/VL Motors. They'll take much better care of you than don't-know-how-VNT-works Meister. Can get you a better deal on a manual Wagen than them too, unless you need a replacement car ASAP.

Last edited:

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
Take it over to VL Performance/VL Motors. They'll take much better care of you than don't-know-how-VNT-works Meister. Can get you a better deal on a manual Wagen than them too, unless you need a replacement car ASAP.
I believe you referred me to them in the past when I was looking for my 80k service, I stopped in one day and talked to them and it took 4 weeks to never get a quote from them for service. That bothered me alot especially after I gave them the benefit of the doubt and emailed them 2 weeks after I first stopped to see if everything was ok. I was promised the quote again and never heard from them. Now I'm all butt hurt about it.

Kevinski4

TDI
No problem, the guys in the shop have been slammed with work for a long time. I handle the purchase of TDI's from VW at auction for them and was ready to grab a manual Wagen today but I'll hold off, lol.

Kevinski4

TDI

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
man what a depressing day... the used DSG came in damaged and now the replacement is $100 or so more cuz it has less miles or something. i test drove a 2013 and 2011 JSW manuals. that was fun, totally different the the DSG! but anyway, when the sales guy looks up his whole sale price and it only comes in at around $5700 for my car with 89k miles that i only have owned for 8 months and paid $14k for... he didn't even bother asking me anymore questions.
my local speed shop is busy and cant get me in until next week and i need my millage back for work so i will take this one in the shorts for sure.
but this shouldn't happen again right??? extended warranty this time?

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
got the car back yesterday. hard to tell how "smooth" it cuz of all the snow on the ground. cant hear much noise. i would hear the noise it made before... but it drives down the road and hopefully i dont' deal with this again...ever

Treetrimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta MT5
You need to keep the car you have for a good long time to get your $$'s worth out of it now. Hopefully, no more issues.
This is a timely thread because I just jumped back on this forum to research DSG vs. manual trans for a possible JSW purchase. I'm trying to get an idea of how frequent DSG failures really are. Dieselgate JSWs are of course a dime-a-dozen right now, it's like ordering one new...what color/miles/options/transmission do you want? How many cars? :)

The supply of DSG cars is of course higher but MT6 cars are no problem to find. I drove a 2014 DSG JSW w low miles the other day and was pleasantly surprised, I'd heard or read of weird shifting and unsmooth launches but experienced nothing of the kind. It was a sweet transmission.

I currently drive a manual TDI Jetta and love it but have had one differential bearing catastrophically fail and take out the race, (used diff and half of case replaced), so I'm not sold on Volkswagen's manuals being bulletproof, either. I love diesels, love VWs and TDIs and the diesel fuel mileage but one grenaded transmission or HPFP and all of your fuel savings just took a dump and left the building. May as well have been driving a supercharged Range Rover the whole time. :)

I wish you the best w your car going forward. Maybe I should start a new thread but can anybody point me to one where DSG failure rates are discussed? I know that the 40k fluid/filter changes are important. Did VW ever make notable changes to the DSG between '09 and '14, either in terms of performance or durability? Thanks in advance.

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
I wouldn't buy a JSW for more then 9k right now. I looked at trading it in on a manual and its totally not worth it for me. The price I paid seemed on par when I bought it... but you can find a nice one for $8-9k. The dealer would only go to about $6k for me so I will drive this into the ground and hopefully pass it on to my first born because that's how long it will take(13 years) to make it worth what I got into it now which is creeping fast into $17k.

Everything I have heard or read about the DSG, mine is unusual. I will never know what was really wrong with it either. I would assume the parts house is going to make some money off my core DSG because it still drove and pulled fine and stopped making noise in 5th and 6th gears...

That being said, I think it drives different then the original DSG, yes, better. Its a little hard to tell with the winter roads but it doesn't seem to have that "lash" when turning left from a stop in the middle of an intersection or foot off the brake to accelerator lash and i still have the original wheel noise that I am starting to believe is my tires(the howl changes with the snow on the roads). I have yet to get it up to 80 mph to see if that shake is still present, i assume it will be with having the same tires on it also assuming I have a balance issue.

Keep me in your thoughts, the wife and i are taking it to Florida next week from Wisconsin and I can't handle another failure from this car...should probably change the oil...

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I paid $7,700 for mine, but after doing all of the maintenance and changing a few parts I have $10k into it. It sat for three years so I changed all of the fluids, brakes & rotors, swapped in a GTI steering wheel with paddle shifters, changed the headlights and added HID bulbs, installed a backup camera, and an RNS-510 navigation.
I didn’t have to add all of the extras, but the fluids and things needed changed. The rotors were warped from 3 years of rust buildup. If my daughter doesn’t stop wasting her money and paying me back the car will be for sale.

Last edited: