BV43A install in my 2005 B5.5 BHW

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I run a bootleg V11 and it will do that. I always just reboot the software and it's fine(for a while). I'm definitely in the market for a genuine can bus Rosstech cable. The tuners seem to get harder and harder to get to respond these days. Summer vacations? I'm trying to get a new tune and it's like pulling teeth. Mike at tdtuning seems the exception.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Just wanted to update this thread. I had been getting random limp modes after the turbo upgrade. Mike tweaked the stage 2 tune and no more limp. If anyone goes or went with the BV43A, I would recommend buying this tune from him. Tell him you want the Stage 2 version 1 he provided me.

CarlosVW

TDI
05 VW Passat 2.0L TDI /BHW engine code/ BSM deleted/ Malone Stage 2 Custom/ Stage 2 Colt Cam/ BV43A turbo upgrade/ Bosio 1043 Injector Nozzles
I have been having some severe lag problems and Mike has real with working with me. I was having trouble on take offs and trying to get speed like say to pass, and also limp mode. Mark has retuned mine a few times to get bugs out. I still notice a dead spot in the RPMs between 1600-2200 RPMs when I use the manual mode on the*transmission (which I like to use when I don't want it to shift down), but the boost is slowly climbing til it gets around the 2000rpm range and the boost is about to 20 psi then is spikes to 28-30 psi range or till the VNT opens up and then it picks up power. But otherwise if is fine, just that dead spot*when*I am in manual mode.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Carlos,
Mike at Tdtuning has been working with you and you have a Malone stage 2? Hmmm. I doubt the BV will ever spool as fast as the VA since it's got more mass. I just live with that but even that improved to tolerable levels with the latest tweak Mike provided. I'll eventually go manual. My entire conversion is on the shelf waiting.The friggin automatic basically sucks and won't ever be ideal with these mods we do.

Last edited:

CarlosVW

TDI
05 VW Passat 2.0L TDI /BHW engine code/ BSM deleted/ Malone Stage 2 Custom/ Stage 2 Colt Cam/ BV43A turbo upgrade/ Bosio 1043 Injector Nozzles
Clear up the waters here is it Mark Malone, and Mike at Tdtuning the same or what is the difference?

CarlosVW

TDI
But yes I do have the Stage 2 tune? The latest version of tune, which would be the tenth modified tune on Stage 2, was a big improvement. That dead spot I am talking about, Mark and Andrew Rodriguez told me to check my VNT actuator calibration but haven't done it yet and I will.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Malone and Tdtuning are different tuners. Maybe there's a Mike at Malone too. At any rate, looks like you're getting there. N75 settings were causing my limp. I never touched the VNT. It is still at the setting Frans provided. From my understanding, the VNT actuator would have to be really far off as it is taking signals from the ecu through the N75 anyhow and only responds to that vacuum signal. Keep posting so we can help guys out when they make the right decision and get this awesome mod.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Knock on wood-no more limp. Turbo is healthy and all is well (except for the guys I smoke!) I'm so anxious to get my manual swap done, I think I'll advertise the perfectly good vw rebuild 60k mile GMR.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Always good to see this thread revisited. So far, so good at 20k miles. My favorite TDI!
^^^ Frans at Dutch Auto Parts, Mike at tdtuning, and vwztips for getting me interested in BHW passats.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Unfortunately there are no BV43's available. Waiting on my DAP2 version from Frans to install in my Audi A6 BHW/DQS 6MQ conversion.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unfortunately there are no BV43's available. Waiting on my DAP2 version from Frans to install in my Audi A6 BHW/DQS 6MQ conversion.
Did you check with all the vendors on here? Seems like new ones were available when I got mine but they didn't have the bearing longevity mod Frans did to mine. Hopefully Frans will get the DAP2 version to you soon. The BV43A was an Audi oe turbo. You'd think there would be sources especially in Europe...

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yes you can get new ones, but Frans does not recommend them in stock form for longevity purposes and you also need to change the intake side of the housing to make it work properly with the B5.5 piping.

I did find new ones from Bora and used ones in Europe.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I've run used and rebuilt stock BV43's with no problem. currently the one in my Passat is being used and abused pretty hard(as high pressure turbo in compound turbo setup at 50+psi), no complaints. I'd take new over modified any day.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2-2005 Passat Wagon TDIs, 2-2004 Passat Wagon TDIs
New Turbo from Au00739toZone

Just got the new turbo in from Auto Zone was supposed to be a Mahle. Opened the box and it is a Borg Warner BV43, SN NC900151600739, SWNO 5303 9880195. Made in China. Sale with tax and free shipping $691.23.

Not happy over made in China, I have not had anything that I can remember last with that label.

Looking at returning it and rebuilding my original. It is not broke, it does have 203K miles on it.

What do you think?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Well seeing as it is from Borg Warner and they make parts for the same models in China, if you are given a lifetime warranty it may be worth trying.

So it is a BV43 and all the piping hooks up correctly

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
look at my build thread. the compressor housing rotates to point any direction you need. I mentioned that in the thread. Not sure what you're talking about. Remember the Chinese are ruthless about anything they label. They don't care about patents or anything else. I'd do a little research on Borg Warner and if they indeed have a QA controlled contract in China for their products. That's becoming more and more common. Porsche actually does it.

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
got this turbo from charlie,its a 17/22 garrett turbo,will be installing it in about a week,hopefully sooner...need to call rocketchip to upgrade ecm also egr needs to be taken care of....who sells a good boost gauge??any other suggestions on what else i need to do..

biged681985

TDI
09 Jetta
50harleyrider, are you still on the stock trans? do you do anything with your car besides drive it? i race mine at the diesel events around.

Silver BHW TDI

TDI
05 GLS Passat TDI
50harleyrider, I am very interested in upgrading my turbo like you did, but I was wondering what kind of mpg's have you seen after the upgrade compared to before?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still on the automatic. The FHN is waiting patiently still strapped on the pallet as Frans sent it. I knew I shouldn't have maintained the GMR-lol.
Car is a daily only with enough spirited driving to piss off a few rude b**ches in their Lexus'.
MPG wasn't really affected. Fun level went through the roof!
Can't speak to the Garrett version, cb1. I'm sure it's a fine turbo. I'm running one on my Golf now and love it. Hopefully you can reclock it too for ease of install.

Last edited:

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
Still on the automatic. The FHN is waiting patiently still strapped on the pallet as Frans sent it. I knew I shouldn't have maintained the GMR-lol.
Car is a daily only with enough spirited driving to piss off a few rude b**ches in their Lexus'.
MPG wasn't really affected. Fun level went through the roof!
Can't speak to the Garrett version, cb1. I'm sure it's a fine turbo. I'm running one on my Golf now and love it. Hopefully you can reclock it too for ease of install.
im still waiting for rocketchip or tdtuning to contact me before i go ahead and install the turbo...will post pics after the installation is done..

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Strongly recommend tdtuning for the tune. Ask him to sell you the same revised stage 2 tune he provided me for the BV43A.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
/\agreed/\ You can also PM mike at TDTuning through TDIClub

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
any ideas where to get an intake hose for it..??i guess ill have to make one...

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
any ideas where to get an intake hose for it..??i guess ill have to make one...
You really should read my build thread. Ebay is full of reinforced silicone reducing 90's, etc to make your install clean. Use t band clamps too. Regular hose clamps won't hold 2 bar of pressure.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I recently bought a manual 5sp passat tdi and need a BV43A for it. If anyone who followed my thread has moved on to other ventures and maybe has one to sell me, please pm me. My original BV43A install has held up well and the automatic is too.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Contact Cascade German (Boraparts) that’s where I got mine 4 years ago.