Looking to purchase Jetta TDI Sportwagen

mcracer516

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Gold (totaled in pileup on I-25 3/1/2014), 2013 JSW Blue, 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Blue 17mpg city :(
Yes after my sunroof problems/leaks I swore I would never buy another vw, but sometimes things change. I have recently found out that I have a little one on the way and I need a bigger vehicle, I can't find anything comparable gas mileage wise to the TDI wagon unless I get a hybrid, and I don't want a hybrid. I am wondering if there are any certain year/s of the wagon I should avoid, or any things about the wagon that I should know about before I really start looking.

I have heard before that the wagon is still made in Germany instead of Mexico so the quality is usually better. I'm sure though that since it is a vw that there are still some issues that I should be on the lookout for. I'm not in any hurry at all, but I would like to start looking and see if I can find any deals. TIA for any help.

mcracer516

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Gold (totaled in pileup on I-25 3/1/2014), 2013 JSW Blue, 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Blue 17mpg city :(
I either heard wrong then, or that has changed with the newer models. Thanks for the info, any problems with your 09?

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
I like my 2005 wagon. It has the PD/BEW engine which so far has been great. Sufficiently spirited, but still great mileage (averaging 6.1 l/100km or nearly 40 mpg on 100% city driving).

No sunroof. ;)

Andrew

mcracer516

Veteran Member
TDI
I like my 2005 wagon. It has the PD/BEW engine which so far has been great. Sufficiently spirited, but still great mileage (averaging 6.1 l/100km or nearly 40 mpg on 100% city driving).

No sunroof. ;)

Andrew
Do the 04/05 models have the same cam problems as the regular Jetta? I have an 04 now, and fortunately haven't had any cam problems with 105,000 miles, but I know others have had issues. I don't really want a sunroof, but when you are buying used you don't have much of a choice.

Last edited:

mcracer516

Veteran Member
TDI
Whatever year TDI you buy get a straight manual transmission.
I would love to, but the woman can't drive a standard, left arm is 85% paralyzed.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
09 DSG JSY Made in Mexico

I am wondering if there are any certain year/s of the wagon I should avoid, or any things about the wagon that I should know about before I really start looking.

I have heard before that the wagon is still made in Germany instead of Mexico so the quality is usually better. I'm sure though that since it is a vw that there are still some issues that I should be on the lookout for. I'm not in any hurry at all, but I would like to start looking and see if I can find any deals. TIA for any help.

Opposite of what you ask, but I love my 09 Made in Mexico DSG JSW even if the HPFP will implode at any moment according to the doomsayers on this forum. The totally flat cargo area is great when its time to carry that extra long item from the big box store. Mileage is not bad either at about 41 on the hiway. (70-75 with AC on)

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
With a little one on the way, you may want to check out the new Passat. The rear seat space is huge and trunk pretty big as well. Reverse facing child seats take up a lot of front to back space, often independent of published legroom numbers. It's no fun installing one and moving the front seat way up against the dashboard or steering wheel. No sunroof with manual trans on new Passats. :) They are getting some fantastic fuel economy too.

Last edited:

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
Do the 04/05 models have the same cam problems as the regular Jetta? I have an 04 now, and fortunately haven't had any cam problems with 105,000 miles, but I know others have had issues. I don't really want a sunroof, but when you are buying used you don't have much of a choice.
Re: Cam - There are no issues with mine AFAIK, but I assume that they all may be subject to the same concerns, given it is the same engine. Previous owner was very particular about maintenance, and it came to me in great shape. I will endeavour to keep it up as well...! ;)

True on the "not much choice". I really wanted a sunroof on the Wagon, as I love the one on my 01 Golf GLS. Did not really care one way or the other for leather (too hot/cold), but it has everything else I wanted.

Andrew

mcracer516

Veteran Member
TDI
With a little one on the way, you may want to check out the new Passat. The rear seat space is huge and trunk pretty big as well. Reverse facing child seats take up a lot of front to back space, often independent of published legroom numbers. It's no fun installing one and moving the front seat way up against the dashboard or steering wheel. No sunroof with manual trans on new Passats. :) They are getting some fantastic fuel economy too.
I will be sure to check one out, but the main reason I am thinking wagon is so when we go "home" for the holidays we can take the dogs too. Also the wife is short so she can move her seat up while I drive. :)

mcracer516

Veteran Member
TDI
Re: Cam - There are no issues with mine AFAIK, but I assume that they all may be subject to the same concerns, given it is the same engine. Previous owner was very particular about maintenance, and it came to me in great shape. I will endeavour to keep it up as well...! ;)

True on the "not much choice". I really wanted a sunroof on the Wagon, as I love the one on my 01 Golf GLS. Did not really care one way or the other for leather (too hot/cold), but it has everything else I wanted.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew for letting me know that there is at least on other person out there with an 04 that hasn't had any cam issues.:) Mine has leather too, like you said to hot in the summer/cold in the winter.

Thanks to everyone for the input, keep it coming please.

Last edited: