Bad Battery

hlcptrdave

I've stored my 99 NBTDI for the winter in the garage. Lucky me to have a beater pick-up for the winter salt and sand. I usually start the car every two weeks to run the engine and charge the battery. To my surprise, the battery can't hold its charge for more than a week. I checked to see if I left the radio on or any lights, but everything is off. Seems rather premature for a failed battery.

hlcptrdave

I thought about that. I'm trying out a trickle charger. Still, the battery should hang in there without doing much to it. The garage doesn't get much colder than 0`C. How much draw does the radio, clock and CD changer have on the battery, Enough to drain it?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
New battery would be my choice and then trickle charge if that doesn't solve it. Cutoff switch will cause other problems.

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
I hate to ask this, but have you check the battery for fluid?? All cells ?? My '98 NB TDI was almost empty from fluid... The factory batteries are NOT maintenance free.... I just switched to a yellow top Optima...

Gary

Ted Strong

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 1998, Red; Passat TDI Wagon, 2005, Silverstone Gray
I agree that you should check your fluid level. The factory batteries need fluid added regularly.

Ted

hlcptrdave

I should have thought of that myself. Basic Battery Maintenance 101.I guess I'm used to the just look, no touch batteries in our other cars. I'll take a look when I get home and empty out the iron if I have to. Thanks guys.

valois

Banned
Ever wonder where that fluid is going? Some of it vaporizes for sure, but these batteries seem prone to boiling over.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
If this is the original battery- it was of poor quality to begin with. Get rid of and save yourself some grief. A $40 Walmart battery is a whole lot better.

hlcptrdave

Well, it looks like I'll have to bite the bullit. Water levels in the battery were fine. So, I'm on the hunt for a new one, and better quality too. Thanks for your suggestions. Cheers.

hlcptrdave

I'm leaning towards the Optima. There's two dealers close to me, and it looks like a very good product. I don't mind spending the extra cash for no worries driving.
Did a search of past postings and there are quite a few dead battery happenings. How convenient for an original battery to wimp out just past warranty. After relay 109, this could probably be the second achilles heel for this car.