oil in turbo air intake

ivan22

TDI
Passat 2005
Hi guys.My 2005 Passat TDI is about 135000km.I bought it on 128000km,four months ago.Yesterday,I went to change my oil and air filter,then I saw oil in the big rubber pipe,between turbo and air filter box.i know this is not good,but how bad is this.I dont know what type of oil was used before I bought the car.Now I put 505.01.Any help will be appreciated.

ivan22

TDI
Passat 2005
Is it possible to be from clogged air filter?The other thing I saw was the turbo is very oily on the outside.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
VAG started building turbodiesels in 1982. Right around 1982, oily intake tracts started happening. 100% normal. Don't worry about it.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I've noticed the same thing..... you may even find an oily stop on your engine shield on the far left side where the intercooler is.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I am a complete novice with the TDI's but this is very common on the gasa 1.8t's. On gas models it comes from a clogged crankcase breathing system (PCV, jet suction pump, etc.) Just took the crossover pipe loose on an A4 1.8t and about 4 ounces of oil poured out. Breathing componenets are shot. Again, I am not versed enough (yet) on the TDI system.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the 1.8t's breather systems get gunked up solid. The TDI's innards stay squeaky clean (unless you burn WVO) so no worries with that.