Suspension mods and Insurance with Passat Tdi

BoFH

TDI
Silver 98 Passat Sport 1.9 & Red '00 Polo 1.4
Hello all,

A question related to insurance. I am thinking of changing my worn out shocks (52K miles on crap UK roads) and replacing with something better then VW stock. Does this classify as a "modification" as far as insurance companies are concerened? I suppose the same question applies if I implemet a performance chip. Has anyone had any experience dealing with insurance companies in these conditions? It would be great to get some advice.

Omar

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Insurance works a little differently here than in the UK. Technically, anything that changes your car from OEM is considered a modification. If you go with an aftermarket replacement for your suspension, then it really isn't considered a modification...unless you start lowering the car, etc. If insurance there is anything like it is here, each company has their own policy. You might want to talk to your insurance company and find out what their policy is.

BoFH

TDI
Thanks. I was considering replacing shocks with something better, not necessarily altering the height. But I see your point. I would call my insurance but they have a nasty habit af asking for the license plate as well. I also hear that the record details of phone calls. Perhaps I will call pretending to ask about new insurance. I just dont trust insurance companies as they would try to get out of paying if they discovered that you used generic windshield wiper blades.... to say the least /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Omar

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Just change it. They cannot hit you for new better struts and shocks....it's not like you shoved a 500 hp gas turbo in the car.

BoFH

TDI
hmmm, I probably will change it as now when I turn suddenly, it feels like I am driving an old SUV in a force 7 gale. By the way where do I get a 500 HP turbo unit? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
If you phone up your insurance company up here and ask a "what if question" your rate does jump up, just based on the what if. Yes this is happening and our GOV., allows it to. They have talked about this on the news etc.. So only talk with your broker, if you are dealing with a broker. If you are buying insurance direct, well just do not ask. The Canadian Gov., up here both Fed., and Prov., are again proving that they are useless and are not here for the people of Can., but here for themselves and the insurance companys of the world etc.. The insurance companys said way back when that when they started no fault insurance that it would save them money with claims and use the drivers money. Well, all they have done is increase insurance rates [out of this world so] they are making more and we are lied again to by the Gov., who allowed the change. The insurance rates before were so much cheaper, before no fault. All the no fault was for was the insurance companys. The Gov., needs to step in and freeze the rates and lower back to what they were...[Diesletwo,Bradford,Ont.,Can..]