Question regarding purchase of a 15 or 16 model

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
There's not a lot here on Fred's about the 1.8T (for obvious reasons), but Brian (Oilhammer) has posted his experiences in some other threads that you might find helpful. VWVortex and other gasser sites will have more opinions.

Also bare in mind that there is multiple bad memories of previous generations get filtered int to all 1.8t motors.

You have the EA888 Gen3 TSI, been around since 2015ish this side of the pond, used on Golfs/Jettas/A3 and Passats, IMO pretty stout but VW did cheapen quite a bit of of it to meet a price point.

Carbon cleaning will be an issue as the miles pile on, +100K (it seems to be better than FSI), timing chain doesn't seem to be an issue as much as previous gens.

Also if you're interested, easy power adders are a plenty.

cneagle87

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Also bare in mind that there is multiple bad memories of previous generations get filtered int to all 1.8t motors.
You have the EA888 Gen3 TSI, been around since 2015ish this side of the pond, used on Golfs/Jettas/A3 and Passats, IMO pretty stout but VW did cheapen quite a bit of of it to meet a price point.
Carbon cleaning will be an issue as the miles pile on, +100K (it seems to be better than FSI), timing chain doesn't seem to be an issue as much as previous gens.
Also if you're interested, easy power adders are a plenty.
I understand what you mean about previous gens filtering in. Thank you for the info.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you browse through oilhammer's posts, there are a range of issues with the current EA888 engines: water pumps, timing tensioners, rear main seals...those are a few that come to mind. I think he would maintain that the earlier 1.8T was a better engine, especially if you used synthetic oil to avoid sludge. The issues he raises are significant enough that I personally would be reluctant to buy a 1.8 or 2.0 TSI or TSFI.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
See that's the thing "EA888" has been around for a while, what 2006? but as a TFSI.

I'd agree water pumps and RMS as being soft spot on current EA888 Gen3, but I haven't heard of much chatter from timing tensioner issues on the Gen3, sure TFSI EA888 and earlier were known issues enough for vw to issue a recall or extended warranty of some sort.