VW pushing back on post dieselgate warranty repairs

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Talking to a service rep, and they are hearing from above that VW is trying anything lately to get out of warranty work on post fixed cars. so guessing it will be a fun next few yrs...........

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yikes. That's not what you want to hear from your service rep.

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
I used my “fix” money and got a tune/delete a month after the “fix”. Still had money left over, and now I have more power, better fuel economy and don’t have to worry about all that stuff failing.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From reading about the thread EPA flexing its muscles, I am wondering if they might not start coming after customers of the tuners they are investigating. The for "off road use only" defense doesn't seem to be working for them either (tuners). Seems like those that got the fix and then tuned/deleted would be high on their list.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Investigation and legal action against thousands of individual customers would be an expensive and time consuming exercise.

In places like California, which have periodic emissions inspections, that process should theoretically capture those situations.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It doesn't take too much to take their customer list and see if the car is registered or not. If so they can force the state to not register the car until it meets the required emissions. A threat of prosecution goes a long way as well. As far as California is concerned people still are able to get by if they choose to. Changing configurations as needed to pass inspection. Generally, the government doesn't take into account the cost to pursue those that break the law.