Can't figure out what the part that connects engine to MAF is.

bonestegreat

TDI
2001 Beetle
I've looked high and low from manual to internet, but can't figure out what I'm looking at. There are 3 plugs with wires that connect the MAF wire to the engine, and I need to replace them, since one wire is broken, and the other 2 are fraying badly.

It's night out, but if you need a picture, I'll go take one.

Edit: added picture: http://i.imgur.com/8c61OWu.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I've looked high and low from manual to internet, but can't figure out what I'm looking at. There are 3 plugs with wires that connect the MAF wire to the engine, and I need to replace them, since one wire is broken, and the other 2 are fraying badly.
They are coolant heater glow plugs and have nothing to do with the MAF.

http://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-connector-harness-b55-bhwa4-coolant-plugs-p-1531.html

Edit: Oops, I was typing while the previous poster replied.

bonestegreat

TDI
2001 Beetle
Would this have any effect on the power of the engine? It was sharing the same wire covering as the MAF, so I thought this would be the cause of my issue.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Would this have any effect on the power of the engine?
Technically speaking: none, unfortunately. They only come for a short period of time after the engine starts, and only at specific ambient temperatures. They are burned out on many many cars and no one is the wiser as they only slightly improve warmup time.

That said, if the wiring has melted internal to the harness I suppose it could have melted other wires in the same harness. You'd have to peel things back to check.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
Cut them off. Useless, and a fire hazard. Ecu doesn't monitor them.

Automatics don't have them. If you must have them, thread your glow plugs for tiny nuts and use o terminals on them (ring terminals)