014 Passat Airbag Light is on after dashcam install

The Captain

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Installed a dash cam on my 2014 Passat TDI SEL and now the airbag light is on. I routed the wires through the A pillar, but I did not remove it, I just pulled back the panels and snaked the wire through. I DID start the car to move the gearshifter to reinstall the radio bezel without the indicator light plugged in on the bezel (not sure if this caused the error or not?) I'm wondering if I managed to interrupt the connection on the driver side A pillar air bag while routing the wire.

Is there a way to clear this light without any special tools? I haven't driven it much, just around the block to see if it would clear itself, no luck.

Thanks in advance!

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
When you remove the trim/bezel, there should have been an air bag indicator light near the A/C control. This connector gets disconnected to fully remove the trim. If you started the car with this disconnected, it triggered your air bag dash light. Just reconnecting it will not clear the fault. You will need VCDS or some other type of code reader to clear the fault/dash light.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Sounds like you probably knocked a wire loose in the pillar. I’d try taking the cover off and checking the wires.

The Captain

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
When you remove the trim/bezel, there should have been an air bag indicator light near the A/C control. This connector gets disconnected to fully remove the trim. If you started the car with this disconnected, it triggered your air bag dash light. Just reconnecting it will not clear the fault. You will need VCDS or some other type of code reader to clear the fault/dash light.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly what happened. Thanks! At least I know I didn't mess up the A pillar airbag.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
next time, feel free to disconnect the battery, it won't toss the air bag light when disconnecting that dash trim light.