Starts fine no power beyond 1200rpm

50_mpg

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Hello all, I am hoping y’all have an idea or even if you’re in the area, are a TDI guru maybe come see me?
I have a 2000 Beetle ALH 5 speed, I removed the original motor and in its place is my 2002 Jetta Wagon motor (my daughter totaled the wagon 60 miles after a timing belt install). So, I have owned this motor sense 19K miles. This low mile motor now sits in this beetle with
New:
G60/VR6 Clutch kit
Garrett VNT17 Turbo kit
Alternator
Vacuum Hoses
Valve cover gasket
All stretch bolts
Speed sensor
Temp sensor
Front struts/springs
Audi TT lower control arm bushings
EGT/Boost Gauge pillar pod
Slave cylinder
Used/known good or rebuilt:
Vacuum pump
Original 11mm IP
EGR
N75
N239
N18
Kitty is MIA!

I know I am missing something. I have added some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
It took a bit to get it started but it runs, starts right up. I just do not have any power it bogs down around 1200 rpm. I have been through all the vacuum lines and valves all tested good, pump pulls and holds vacuum @24hg
[FONT=&quot]I am not getting any DTC’s other than the 3 water heater glow plugs. My Ross-Tech program didn’t survive a hard drive crash, so I am waiting on a new setup with cable from Ross tech. I should have this by weeks end. My intentions are to take this car to a Malone tune stage 4, I am still undecided about injectors, but leaning towards DLC1019’s.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Edit: No pictures??
[/FONT]

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Short version:
Select Upload button, follow prompts (check your file type)
At the end, harvest the url to use as a link for your post
Note there are 3 sizes with separate urls. For large data use the thumbnail, it shows the full size when clicked.
More complete instructions in my signature.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Newbie status is based on how many posts you have. If I remember it's 50 posts to just member, 100 to veteran. Unless you're fancy like BobnOH here and have a fancy one. Dunno how he got that.

Where's your timing and iq set at? Any boost leaks? Is the turbo actuator free? Maf readings?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
For me "used/known good" parts are a flag. Maybe the parts are good, maybe not. And several of them, if in fact not good, would lead to low power. But given this is a swap, there are lots of other possibilities, too, like a weak IP, timing way off, blocked exhaust manifold, boost leak, dead vane actuator on the turbo, and so on.

The limp mode thread will help a lot. VCDS logs would help, too.

50_mpg

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
IndigoBlueWagon,

"Used known good" are any parts that came off of my excellent running 2002 Indigo Blue Wagon :) I saved in dry storage because I knew they where good and I was planning on this. But anything can happen. I will say all the vacuum components were changed out 4 days ago and it really made no difference. All the boost and intake piping is super clean. Plugged muffler unlikely but possible.

As for the IP and timing this motor was running great when I removed it from my wagon and all the turbo items are new and freely moved.

Limp mode is actually the first thing I thought of and I really need my VCDS (it's in the mail)

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Silly question.........are there any rags that were forgotten in the intake some where?
Not a full blockage but a partial.
ASV not fully opened.

50_mpg

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
csstevej,
Not silly at all, as I am a hole plugger rags or plastic caps and none left behind. I got this car yrs ago without a kitty so just a original muffler anyone ever heard of those plugging up??

Doodledog

TDI
2001 Beetle
Check the MAF. A bad one won’t set a MIL but will kill power. Disconnect and let the connector just hang. The ECU uses a default value. See if the power is back, if so then $70 for a MAF and you’re good to go. If not then you checked another possibility off the list easily.

50_mpg

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Doodledog,
You sir were 100% correct!

I went ahead and ordered a set of PP764's from Kerma and had them set them up for me. In talking to Owain at Malone he suggested a Hammer Mod and he was right it was low I got it set between 3-4 that made a difference. it was good to 2500 rpm. I had tested the MAF in the past as it was the only part from the original car. I tested it again this weekend and it still looked good. Frustrated beyond words!!.. I went and dug up the MAF from my trusty 2002 wagon. I took the one off the beetle and set them next to each other, different part numbers but a google search indicated both are called out for a 2000 ALH and others. The do not look the same! My 02 MAF did not have a big funky piece of plastic shrouding the sensor and only one big screen the Beetle MAF had no less then 3 screens on it and one had to be tilted to see thru it?? Long story short, I now have a new respect for this Beetle, it halls ass! WOW. Makes me smile, definitely a sleeper minus the pillar pod. The tires will not last. :)